x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Editorial: Are you a prisoner of the unlock code?

1 2 3 4
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-18 8:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I currently only have public domain ebooks or books from PalmMedia, now eReader or whatever. Their DRM just ties you to the user id. To me this is secure enough to prevent "accidental" sharing by legit users. It is definitely not enough to prevent the most determined hackers.

But like locks in cars, its really just "good-enough" to prevent the casual theft. Which so far, has been "good-enough" so that most people do not loss their cars!

This is what I would term, 80%security. Good enough.

Companies that try to implement the remaining 20% usually end up ruffling the legit paying customer's feathers and wallet and patience!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-04-19 4:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

My 2 cents.
There are times I feel justified using cracks/gens when I need to install my paid for product . Like when I can't get support from a vendor or defunct developer.

Is it wrong to gen a serial if I misplaced mine or need to change my hpc ID? Lots of EULAs allow transferring programs to other users when you sell them your hpc. I'm certainly not going to allow the new owner to keep my hpc ID (my email) just so programs keep working.

anyhow, in summary, I take steps (wink nudge) to ensure I never have to rely on a developer/vendor or my failing memory (just what email did I use when I bought program x? grrr. ) when it comes to re-installing my programs. I suggest everyone do the same.

Sleep well knowing that you paid *and* aren't being held hostage at the same time.
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 6:34 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

on a slightly related subject to what bruised said: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000180040730/

can i say that i somewhat agree with bruised? i dislike big coporations and the corrupt politicians they buy with the "donations".

but i kinda like m$, too, and their products. i don't think the world would be a better place if they didn't have this much power...

i also agree with bruised about the USA copyright issues he talked about. i don't know about asian countries though.

going back to the subject,

have i ever been prisoner of the unlock code? there is no incident that i can recall immediately. so it's either i have never been, or have been but wasn't a significant problem.

thanks,

msafi,
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 10:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

msafi - 2005-04-20 6:34 AM

on a slightly related subject to what bruised said: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000180040730/

can i say that i somewhat agree with bruised? i dislike big coporations and the corrupt politicians they buy with the "donations".

but i kinda like m$, too, and their products. i don't think the world would be a better place if they didn't have this much power...

i also agree with bruised about the USA copyright issues he talked about. i don't know about asian countries though.

going back to the subject,

have i ever been prisoner of the unlock code? there is no incident that i can recall immediately. so it's either i have never been, or have been but wasn't a significant problem.

thanks,

msafi,

Hi, MSAFI. I too agree with many of what I consider 'off-topic' comments made in this thread. But I didn't respond to them because I feel that they are just that - off-topic. If I wanted to exchange views with people on policitics, the ills and wickedness of large corporations, government corruption, communist china, etc. etc., I'll pick an audience and a forum that is appropriate for that kind of exchange, which indeed can become quite engaging. I just didn't think that this was the proper place to do so. That being said, it certainly was never my intention to stop people from speaking their mind ... and if one wants to use the software UNLOCK code to "rant" about politics and big corporations, then so be it.

... Of course ... "this is all merely my humble opinion."

ET3D Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 2:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Speaking of software protection, I bought a used ThinkPad X22 on eBay (have yet to get it) to replace my used but much less usable Izzi Pro. Thing is, the DVD drive is on the "media slice", which I don't plan to carry with me most of the time. This means that although I have quite a few old games that might run on that machine, I'll have to find no-CD patches for them.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 2:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ET3D, I have an uber geek - not user friendly application which may help you out, PM me!
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 12:28 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I have not (yet) been a prisoner of the unlock code. Probably because I have not bought any software (yet).
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 18