x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

drivers and chipset questions

1 2 3 4
donavan
donavan Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 9:25 PM
#
One step closer but Im still not there yet. The driver installed beautifully but I am still left with no connection. I keep getting told that the DHCP server cant be found. Here is my setup what am I missing.

router/gateway IP: x.x.x.1
HPC IP: x.x.x.10
SSID matches on both
ACL includes the 620's MAC
WEP disabled for simplicity.

On the 620 I get a connection and the card seems to work but I dont seem to be getting a IP address. I have tried setting the IP to static but that leads no where. Logging on to the router I can see that they are talking cause the MAC appears in the site survey.

Is there anything in the SP1 that deals with networking (no sync cable couldn't update)? I have installed the NSP without the SP1.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 6:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You should install SP1 then the NSP, it is on the download docs.

Are you running WEP, SSID's, Ad-hoc / Infrastructure?
 Top of the page
donavan
donavan Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 7:28 PM
#
I tried to do the SP1 install but its a sync install so I can't do it till I can get my hands on a sync cable or a wiring diagram of one. I have looked all over the net for a SH3 cabs and I don't know how to extract the files out of the sync install (I do know how to extract from archives just not the installers).

As far as my network I have web turned off though I usually run it. The SSID matches what is on the router. The unit actually establishes a connection but does not optain an IP and seems to time out and then reverts to to 192.168.1.109 (which is not in my network at all). I tried it with a static IP giving it an address of 192.168.10.10 and it as far as I know give me a connection but when I try and ping the router it can't find it. In addition I have checked the link statuson the belkin tool and it says I have near 100% strenght and that I am connected to my router. I have tried setting the SSID manually(sorta works) and also dyanmically but this ends up giving me a signal from a neighbors router which has a lower signal than mine and still doesn't connect. My router can see the card and it knows the MAC address of the HPC's NIC. I even get a little green icon on the taskbar but somewhere between the network layer and the application layer things are getting monkeyed up.

It is my suspision that SP1 (or the lack of) might be the issue here. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was some file update dealing with the network issues included.

Any ideas?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

For intalling SP1 without a cable, just go to the ActiveSync folder ("c:\Program Files\Microsoft Activesync" by default), then go to the subfolder of the SP1 (by default, HPC 3.0 Service Pack 1 in mine), then copy all the files with ".CAB" extension with "sh3" in their name to your HPC and then execute them, just like they were an app. NOTE: the cabs auto delete (suicide) themselves, if you want to prevent that from happening, flag them as read-only

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
donavan
donavan Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 2:05 AM
#
WOOHOOOW !!! IT WORKS !!!

So here is what I did (I will submit a better tutorial later):

I pulled the CAB out of the active sync directory to get SH3 cab. Copied it and the cabs from the NSP and the belkin rebuild driver pack, that C:amie provided above, to the CF card. Install SP1 then NSP and finally the NIC drivers. Rebooting between each install just to be on the safe side. At this point the card should have worked but I had an issue with my router (it was being retarded) after fixing that and my network coming back I went to IE and low and behold google worked.

It is my guess that any NON-cardbus PCMCIA card using the prism 2.5 chipset SHOULD, (I promise nothing) should work with windows ce 2.0 N/SP1.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Expect a full write up after I get done with finals next week.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 5:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm glad you could do it. i hope you may talk more about your situation, in order to help other people that are new to the community
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 7:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Good going,

I look forward to hearing more on your experiments.
I think the NSP was the best thing I ever compiled for CE2

Good luck with your finals.
 Top of the page
hster2002 Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is my first post. I have read through your site and alot of the issues encountered. I found it REALLY helpful - it's a GREAT resource for these incredible machines!!

I just got two 802.11b cards working with the Jornada 680e and the NEC MobilePro 750C. The cards I used are nott listed in your Hardware Compatibility List but do have the chipsets that will work with your driver files there.

I picked up one WiFi card a 2WIRE 802.11b card P/N 1000-100016-002 for $40 USD on ebay. It's a great card and the seller provides the drivers for WinCE 2.0 and up on CD. I believe this card has the 8410 (Lucent) chipset. I ran that in WinCE 2.0 on the 750C and it connects real well! The bummer with this utility is it does not show up on the tray the link status, etc.

(By the way, I used the exact same procedure Andrew used on his post on 4/18/2006 to get it to work with this driver)

The interesting thing is on this CD is there is also an Agere self install utility for Windows CE 2.11 and up. I installed the Agere utilility on my Jornada 680E and it work great too! The Agere drivers give you an icon on the tray and lets you scan for multiple Access Points unlike the Lucent WaveLan driver/it also stores diffrent access point profiles. I have confirmed that this Agere driver does support 128/64 bit encryption profiles with this 2WIRE card.

NOW, just for fun I have a Z-COM XI-325 PCMCIA card lying around. This card has the PRISM 2.5 chipset. So I downloaded your Hawking CF100W driver designed for a compact flash card which also has a PRISM 2.5 chipset.

When I plugged the card in, it asked for the driver for the network card. I entered "PRISMNDS.DLL" I got a message for "generic wirelss driver" Then a nice icon appeared on the tray for link status (green good, yellow okay, red no connection).

I opened up network settings in control panel, entered my Access Point and Encryption Keys (thats all I did). And its connected! IT WORKS GREAT!! Nice thing with this driver is it also lets you store profiles for your access points and encryption keys /supports 64 and 128 bit encryption for this XI-325 card.

I have not tried this card in the Jornada 680E, but I figure that should be even easier since it is running Win CE 2.11

Also, in installing these, I did not preinstall anything. I just ran the setup utility for these Network Card Drivers through ActiveSync. I connected the HPC to ActiveSync Ver 3.8 with a serial connection for the 680e and an IR connection for the NEC 750C. By the way, if you use an IR connection on the NEC, be sure you select use IR in the communication settings in control panel.

Anyways, I am real happy about this - it seems real difficult to find WiFi drivers for Win CE 2.00 devices (was starting to think the NEC 750C was kind of a waste of $$$ without having WiFi until I could get it to work - Thanks to the help of this site!!!)

Thanks Again everyone for your posts! I will update too as I learn more!

Henry

Top of the page
hster2002 Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I should add the XI-325 802.11b PCMCIA card (with the PRISM 2.5 chipset) install was done on the NEC MobilePro 750C with Windows CE 2.00 installed.

Great news since its hard to find cards that run on CE 2.00..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 10:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hster2002 - 2006-05-11 3:50 AM
Also, in installing these, I did not preinstall anything. I just ran the setup utility for these Network Card Drivers through ActiveSync.

you sure you don't even have NSP installed on the 750C?

oh and if you find the prism card has an unreliable connection on the 750C, you should install the pcmcia update from NEC too.

hster2002 - 2006-05-11 3:54 AM

Great news since its hard to find cards that run on CE 2.00..

nah not so hard lots of cards are prism 2.5

if the card isn't in the HCL you should submit it as new hardware.
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-05-23 11:49 PM
#
C:Amie - 2005-04-16 7:42 PM

I am afraid the answer here as one generic tone.

No.

Unlike the transistion from Windows 95, to 98 to Millennium, thigns between CE versions are radically different.
While you can sometimes use a driver from a lower version on a newer one (2.11 driver on a 3.00 device) the opposite is not true.

As you are at the bottom end of the networking food chain, this isn't going to provide you any benefits.
On the second point, CE is a scaled down version of Windows, and does not support the same API (programming calls) that Windows does, neither can it address the Windows files in the first place (different CPU).
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-06-01 12:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Has anyone tried the technique hster2002 mentioned to get the Zcom PRISM 2.5 card working on an ARM Jornada?

Edited by oflash 2006-06-01 12:44 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-01 12:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oflash: the zcom is supposed to have the driver in the hcl.. if it doesnt work use the hawking, if not even that, use the hexedited one i posted here..
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-06-01 1:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I ask because I'm looking to get a zcom XI-305 which uses the 2.5 chipset (like the 325 only without the detachable antenna {I think}). The HCL only has the XI-300 listed as compatible. I don't want to buy it if it's not going to work

BTW Cmonex, what hexed driver are your referring to? I can's seem to find the post in this thread.

Edited by oflash 2006-06-01 1:15 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-01 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol not in this thread, sorry... theres another recent thread about the zonet cf wlan.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11