x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro I've found a working linux distro!

« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 8:00 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Some good news, for me personally since you folks seem to be well past this point, I finally got the thing to boot. Eddie, when you said erase the disk, I thought it would be enough to use the boost menu but that didn't do anything. I went to the script file and followed those commands and manually erased the disk using the emergency shell. I wasn't expecting anything actually. I was trying to do all the commands manually. But at some point I locked it up and had to reboot. When I did it went all the way.

Paul
 Top of the page
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 9:07 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Paul -- I had been going through some of my past logs when installing the various linux images. Never found anything like what happened in your case. Very good info to know, though, about being able to run the script commands manually to clean the memory.

Question is, now that you have linux (which image?) on your NBP, have you been able to get a WiFi or ethernet card to work?

--Eddie
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 9:25 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Short answer is no I have not had any success configuring wifi. I have orinoco Lucent tech wavelan card. I did not have it plugged in when i booted and the driver selection folder didn't seem to react when I attempted to choose any of the several drivers that seemed appropriate.
I'm a bit of noob so I have to do a lot of reading at every step. I am looking up how to manually install the card.

I also have a neat little cf wifi card that I will try to boot with that came with my ebay netbook purchase.

I have to go make my wife some pancakes so I'm cutting this short.

The emergency shell is very useful in that it allows access to all the flash utilities. I've learned a lot just cruising through the files system and playing with the utiliities. I was able to run fdisk from the netbook to format the cf. Interesting how the repartioning preserved the files I had on the drive. They must have been in the right places.

So here goes a reboot.

Paul
 Top of the page
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 9:57 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Paul,

Try playing around with oldman's instructions from an earlier post (see below). Specifically the instructions on making kernel modules available (to include various drivers). So far, none of us have had any real success with it, but it does appear to make the drivers available. Let us know if you have any luck.

After following oldman's instructions, I tried a Linksys PCMCIA WiFi, a Proxima PCMCIA WiFi, and a Socket CF WiFi. No luck on any of them.

oldman - 2007-10-31 11:45 AM
In the running distribution: Getting rid of the one-minute-sleep

In a root shell type:
# gpe-edit /etc/init.d/checkversion
Then remove the line containing the command "sleep 60" and save the file.

In the running distribution: Making the correct kernel modules available. IMPORTANT!

This gives access to the additional kernel drivers, provided by the initrd!!!
In a root shell type:
# cd /lib/modules
# mv 2.6.9-rc1-bk18-nb1 2.6.9-rc1-bk18-nb1.old
# ln -s /initrd/lib/modules/2.6.9-rc1-bk18-nb1 .
# halt
Then wait for black screen, reset the machine and re-start as usual with Ctrl+D+ESC (or without Ctrl+D if installed to the flash ROM's). If you enter a root shell again and type lsmod, you should see a lot of modules loaded.

And then you could do for example:

In the running distribution: Mounting an USB memory stick

Plug in the USB stick, and in a root shell type:
# modprobe sl811-hcd
Wait 15 seconds.
# lsmod
Now you should see at least sd_mod, usb_storage, scsi_mod and sl811-hcd.
# mkdir /mnt/usbstick
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick
# ls /mnt/usbstick
For unmounting:
# umount /mnt/usbstick
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 10:36 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I can see and select the drivers from the menu but they don't seem to stick. Is that any different from what everyone else has seen? I am accessing the settings folder/pc/cf cards folder.

My device is recognized correctly and I am able to select what appears to be an appropriate driver but with no reaction. I will try to run the ifconfig and other probes to see what is installed.

Paul
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 12:21 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have the same success as other with respect to network cards. My orinoco card locks up the system although it does now seem to recognize the card and configure as eth0.

I don't know which driver to try with the socketcom ethernet cf card so I have had no luck interfacing that.

CORRECTION: I just picked the first one an it loaded and configured. I am proceeding cautiously to see whether it can reveal any info before it locks up.

Pau
 Top of the page
Acid Snoop
Acid Snoop Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 12:42 PM
#
Hmmmmmm damn, i've done the error to install the Armstrong image to flash. Now i've got the problem that the NAND Flash has been repartitioned to 3MB for OS use. I've tried to get in the Boost superuser mode by soldering an resistor to the Docking pins, just as described in the Boost PDF. But theres nothing to see from the superuser mode, is the resistor really an 56000 Ohm resistor? (56k).

Maybe theres a way to rebuild the NAND Flash from the emergency shell?

Any help would be welcome.

Thx in advance...
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 12:49 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I can ping the card but I don't see the network. I used pcnet_cs driver for my socketcom lopower ethernet card. I assigned an IP and configured the card. ifconfig reported the information back and it hasn't locked up yet. I am verifying my net setup to see if I overlooked some configuration.

Paul
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 12:57 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Acid snoop. If you have access to a serial cable use that to access emergency shell. Using the commands in the NBLXLoad.sh file type the NAND erase and write commands then reboot. You have to type in the file name as well as mount your CF card so that the shell sees it. Everything is volatile so each time you boot you will have to manually remount.

I mounted the CF (/dev/hda) on /tmp. You can "cat" the script file and cut and paste to minimize typos. You have to figure out your path and file name to write.

I never used superboost mode and was able to erase and write this way. I don't know if the write is necessary. You might just run the erase command.

Paul
 Top of the page
w_m0zart Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

@Acid Snoop: How did you install Armstrong to flash? Please describe the steps you have taken. If you overwrite Boost in your flash memory, then the netbook will not boot at all. If you still see some normal Boost boot information then everything is still okay.

Regarding the 56k resistor, you can use some lower value as well. Perhaps the 65k has too large tolerance. See the pdf document about this:
http://www.nijdam.de/psion/BooStDongle.pdf

I tried this on 2 different netbook pro motherboards, both succesfully boot into the superuser boost mode.

It should work.

Good luck.

Edited by w_m0zart 2007-11-04 12:58 PM
 Top of the page
Acid Snoop
Acid Snoop Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 1:25 PM
#
Regarding to the resistor, very strange. I've soldered it about an hour ago and it seems that i've forgotten to keep in mind hat a heated resistors resistance is much much higher than an cold. (My electronics teacher would laugh about that... ) I'm in the superuser mode right now and also changed the NAND OS Size.

Regarding to the Armstrong install, i belive i can't remember the exact steps i've did. I'll try to repeat my steps later this evening.

One problem solved but another occured, it seems that i'm not longer able to get any output to the serial terminal. Do i have to enable it in superuser mode?

Greetings...
 Top of the page
w_m0zart Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

@Acid Snoop: Serial output should be seen in both superuser mode and normal mode. The reason why you don't have output on your serial port, probably has to do with initializing/synchronization problems with serial communication.

Sometimes restarting your terminal or plugging in/out a cable can be helpful.
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 5:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I think I have a cable problem since I can't seem to get the card working on my laptop as well. But it doesn't crash the netbook!

Paul
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 7:09 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2007-11-03 12:41 PM

oldman - 2007-11-02 11:04 AM

There are no texts in the bootstrap code. I think I understand 97% of its disassembling, but because I don't know the license, I don't like to publish my comments or to generate source from it.

just send me that bootstrap code, i'll publish my comments, i don't care about licenses.

YES!
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-04 8:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have a working wireless network connection on my netbook pro using a wavelan card and the orinoco_cs driver. Since I have not modified any files, I expect it is simply the correct driver and configuration.

Paul Krupa
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11