x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro I've found a working linux distro!

« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... Next »
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-07 12:55 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ok, here's the skinny on setting up minicom:

1. Install minicom (some linux distros have it installed by default). Let me know if I need to elaborate here.
2. Open a terminal window and su to root.
3. Configure minicom by running the command "minicom -s" (without quotes)
4. On the configuration menu that appears, cursor down to "Serial port setup" and press Enter.
5. On the serial port setup menu, press "A" to change the device (probably defaults to /dev/modem). On my computer, the serial port is /dev/ttyS0. This may vary with different PCs and Linux distros.
6. Still on the serial port setup menu, press "E" to change the Bps. On the comm parameters menu that appears, select "I" for 115200. The other settings are correct, so press Enter to exit the menu.
7. Press Enter again to exit the serial port setup menu.
8. Should now be back at the main configuration menu. Cursor down to "Save setup as dfl" and press Enter.
9. Exit from minicom.

Now, whenever you run minicom (just type "minicom" with no options/parameters) it will be set up and ready for the NBP connection.

If anyone has a good GUI-based app on Linux that works well, I'd like to know. I tried a few, like cutecom, but the output seems to contain waaaaay too many escape characters. Makes for difficult reading.
 Top of the page
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-07 2:06 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ok, I started a Wiki page on the Angstrom site. Just a single page right now, and I only put a very sketchy outline in there. Here's the page: http://linuxtogo.org/gowiki/NetbookPro

I know, spelling of "NetbookPro" isn't exactly correct, but the way the Wiki works for creating new pages, it is a necessary evil.

So, if you're not already registered on the Angstrom Wiki, now's the time!
 Top of the page
oldman Page Icon Posted 2007-11-07 6:25 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Intrepid-Eddie - 2007-11-07 12:00 AM
By the way, oldman, you are an unbelievable wealth of information. And don't say "Google"... Google isn't that good.

WOW, Thanks! But Google was very helpful to me, last but not least in finding this thread

My personal plan is still trying to run newer kernel versions, and porting the patches. But I'll have not much time for doing that in the next weeks, and I'm not really experienced in kernel hacking. I'll see what I can do. Currently I'm still waiting for the serial cable I have ordered. Your minicom description will be very helpful to me, thanks for that!

And for the long-time plan: What I miss in all the seen handheld distributions, are compilers, libraries and include files for building applications on the NBP. I even miss a more classic window manager like twm, fvwm or e16 (not e17). So what I would like to have is a 'normal' distribution on a 4-8GB CF microdrive (remember that an ext2 file system on CF flash is a bad idea for long-time use, because flash memories have a limited number of write cycles - therefore the idea of a microdrive = real hard disk). I still ogle with http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ . This would even be a good Linux-sysop-learning project, though it's a long long way.
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-07 10:32 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I'd like to give update on my progress, there was not progress, in two days I am going to buy new CF at Costco today. One that I have is DMA fixed CF, Maybe there is the problem. Still no serial working
Thank you for info Paul and Eddie.
 Top of the page
Acid Snoop
Acid Snoop Page Icon Posted 2007-11-07 12:50 PM
#
So, Marc gave me the OK to upload the PsionLX files, here they go...

http://rapidshare.com/files/68105196/nBkProOs.img
(needs to be placed in the first [fat16] partition, as usual)
http://rapidshare.com/files/67872227/soho-image-netbook-pro-2005010...
(needs to be extracted in the 2nd [ext2] partition)

There's still the netbook-linux-sources.tgz file waiting to be uploaded but its to big (100MB limit). (I will split the archive and upload the next days)

Happy using...

Edited by Acid Snoop 2007-11-07 12:54 PM
 Top of the page
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 2:23 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Acid Snoop, thanks for the alternate download for the LX files.

Just a quick update here: added a little more detail to the Angstrom wiki -- still a lot of info to get in there, but will be a nice reference when done (my goal is to make the install instructions for the other platforms on the wiki look bad).

Been working on paring down the size of the LX filesystem so I get it all on a 128MB CF. It's not looking good, though. Firefox appears to be the biggest single hog of space (and it would free up what I need), but I am loathe to remove the only web browser. (Or is there another one installed, too?)

Looks like I'll need to drag my ass to the store and pick up a larger CF. Should probably just get a CF microdrive, huh?

The Familiar distro I have on my NBP now isn't too bad. WiFi works with my Linksys PCMCIA, and I can connect to the Internet. If the AP has security set up (WPA / WEP), it has some issues setting up correctly, though. Anyone else run into this?

--Eddie
 Top of the page
w_m0zart Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 6:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I added and modified some information in the wiki, which I found in between some of the netbook pro Linux sources:
http://linuxtogo.org/gowiki/NetbookPro/Installing2Nand
and
http://linuxtogo.org/gowiki/NetbookPro/Installing2Cf

The structure in the Wiki should be carefully maintained. It looks already a bit chaotic. If someone believes this information should be moved to another place please don't hesitate.

I have some problems with linking in the wiki over there. I am used to using a dokuwiki, which uses other (I think better) syntaxis. The links do not really appear to be obvious when used in the text. A solution would be to misuse the external link to link to an internal link.

Regards, Marc

Edited by w_m0zart 2007-11-09 6:23 AM
 Top of the page
sonic1200 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 9:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello I'm a new user of the Netbook pro and i'm very interested to install Linux on it. But I don't have a serial cable to see what it did when it flash the nand. Can I flash my netbook with this procedure without serial cable? (and what is the approximate time taken to install linux)

Thank you.

Nicolas
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 10:19 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have added software, drivers section... It is good to have the list of good software that we got running on NB PRO and drivers, we need to list them. Right now my PRO does not stand close in functionality I could get from my WinCE. I wish that software and drivers sections will fill up and change that.
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 11:46 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Eddie, I've been looking at microdrives and did a little research. IBM developed them and Hitachi bought IBM's drive business. Seagate has been the late comer to the game but they produce a range of drives too.

I'm talking about the CF form factor here.

Also there has been a rash of chinese clones that apparently suffer from quality issues.

I found a wide range of pricing too which made me somewhat anxious as I don't want to over pay but on the other hand and more importantly I don't want to buy a piece of junk.

The interesting discrepancy is the 2gb units. At amazon they retail at over 100 dollars while others can be had for as low as about 30 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!

Seagate produces a unit with 2 MB cache while the Hitachi units seem to standardize on 128k. I'd be curious to see some testing comparing the two in real applications.

I think I will buy a 30 dollar unit and set up a swap file.

Power consumption has been commented as being similar to cf drives marginally greater. I read some numbers but don't recall them now.

Get Hitachi or Seagate. Also, apparently you can salvage units from some mp3 players that go on ebay for cheap!

Paul Krupa
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 11:47 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Salmanito, I'll bite. What are you doing on that machine?

Paul Krupa
 Top of the page
Acid Snoop
Acid Snoop Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 11:58 AM
#
@mrkrupa: Yeah the price range for microdrives is unbeliveable but beware of the Hitachi and Seagate Microdrives that has been scavangered out of Mp3-Players. The most of them are firmware locked and are only capable to operade in IDE-Mode (instead of the CF-Flash-Mode). I've bought a Seagate ST1 5GB model and i was never be able to use it, not under Windows nor under Linux.

Edited by Acid Snoop 2007-11-09 11:59 AM
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 12:07 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

M0zart

Your pages look good.

I have some questions after reading the procedure page. I still don't have it quite down yet.
What exactly is boost? I've been trying to figure that out. It appears to be a boot loader. Is it documented anywhere other than in use instructions for image upgrades?

I found a few references in some irc logs that spoke of wrappers and checksums.

Your advice on changing the memory address for the 32 vs 64 raises a question. I thought I had tried this and it choked on the checksum. Maybe I'm recollecting something else.

What is the step by step sequence? Starting from a blank slate other than boost, it has to first load the linux kernel before it can erase anything. Is that correct?

The emergency shell has eraseall on and nandwrite as linux apps. Does this mean the pro is really a linux box at heart wearing the wince clothing for acceptance from its peers? (getting into the weeds here)

There's more but I just wanted to get started.

Paul Krupa

PS the pages look real nice!

Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 1:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

sonic1200 - 2007-11-09 9:50 AM

Hello I'm a new user of the Netbook pro and i'm very interested to install Linux on it. But I don't have a serial cable to see what it did when it flash the nand. Can I flash my netbook with this procedure without serial cable? (and what is the approximate time taken to install linux)

Thank you.

Nicolas

Nicholas I did all the things you find here without serial cable, I have it but it displays gibberish
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 1:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Paul what do you mean bite?
I did SIP calling, full office, japanese learning software, network, printing. etc movies, well very choppy. What else...? too busy at work
I am still struggling to load LX, I had some kind of GPE 2.7 running of CF last night. I had microdrive but it broke, it was pretty good. My CF card is DMA only. works well with usb readers, not without them.

Edited by salmonito 2007-11-09 2:13 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 14