x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro I've found a working linux distro!

« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
Acid Snoop
Acid Snoop Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 2:16 PM
#
@salmonito: Whats the problem with LX? I've loaded it to my CF-Card and its running, even for the first time i've tried the LX installation...
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 2:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Acid Snoop - 2007-11-09 2:16 PM

@salmonito: Whats the problem with LX? I've loaded it to my CF-Card and its running, even for the first time i've tried the LX installation...

I don't know really.... Still no luck with serial no matter what I tried so it hangs, i do not see why, yesterday was first time I booted from CF... Another try today.

Edited by salmonito 2007-11-09 2:43 PM
 Top of the page
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 2:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

w_m0zart - 2007-11-09 5:22 AM
I have some problems with linking in the wiki over there. I am used to using a dokuwiki, which uses other (I think better) syntaxis. The links do not really appear to be obvious when used in the text. A solution would be to misuse the external link to link to an internal link.

Regards, Marc

Marc, I've had the same problems -- I'm not used to this wiki's syntax. I've used your solution to "misuse" the external link, and it works well.

All the new info going in looks really good. I think we may already have the most info on there for any one platform.

Hello I'm a new user of the Netbook pro and i'm very interested to install Linux on it. But I don't have a serial cable to see what it did when it flash the nand. Can I flash my netbook with this procedure without serial cable? (and what is the approximate time taken to install linux)

Thank you.

Nicolas

Nicolas, as Maris said, you don't *need* to have the serial cable -- it's just nice to have to you monitor what's happening during the install. The installation itself only takes a couple of minutes (not including downloading the files, putting them on the CF card, etc...). Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Paul, thank you very much for the info on the micro drives. I might actually have one in a MP3 player I can cannibalize...

--Eddie
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-09 9:57 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Salmonito,

Only an attempt at humor. I inferred from your statement that you were pushing the envelope on the utility front for a handheld computer.

Without getting into the microsoft bias thing, I just haven't been able to use my netbook because I found it awkward to use after my epoc netbook experience. While linux is monstrously complex, I am attracted to its elegance and robustness and envision an interface along the lines of the original netbook and my ipod touch: very simple and direct.

I saw hitachi drives on amazon for 22 dollars!

Paul Krupa
 Top of the page
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 1:17 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

mrkrupa - 2007-11-09 8:57 PM

Without getting into the microsoft bias thing, I just haven't been able to use my netbook because I found it awkward to use after my epoc netbook experience. While linux is monstrously complex, I am attracted to its elegance and robustness and envision an interface along the lines of the original netbook and my ipod touch: very simple and direct.

Oh, go ahead and get into the bias... why do you think we're all so desperate to get linux working on the NBP?

I agree, linux offers some very nice features with great possibilities for customization. And elegance... ever see e17 (or e16 for that matter)?

--Eddie
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 11:03 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I agree . I'm going to look for mp3 players today at salvation army!
 Top of the page
Acid Snoop
Acid Snoop Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 11:14 AM
#
Hey Guys, i've uploaded the netbook-linux-sources in the following location:

http://rapidshare.com/users/DTJKMP

As you will notice, there's another folder in it. I've uploaded the original PsionLX sources the Teklogix developer used to build the PsionLX Linux OS. I will make these sources available to developers in these forum, but some of these files are still confidential, as they have never been released to open source. So we still need to figure out what we can distribute to the public and what we have to handle under a confidential matter.

The PsionLX directory is password protected and you have to contact me in the case you want access to the files and want to help to make useable applications for the PsionLX.

Greetings
Acid Snoop
 Top of the page
stolk Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 5:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Linux on a NBP has been my dream for quite some time. Love the machine, own one and not happy with CE
Have been following Angstrom developments, excited about the possibility of a working linux NBP becoming reality. Now seriously trying to apply the steps and developments in this forum on my NBP

Without linux experience managed to prepare a CF card with two partitions, loaded various combinations of mentioned image and jffs2 files.
So far only The " original" LX files seem to work to some extend; It starts loading, but....
- three times got the LX startup screen , hanging afterwards
- even got a blinking cross cursor in two occasion; hanging afterwards
- on three occasion it started asking '1x login' and password or '(none) login' in plain linux screen and rejected all attempts.
- and on two occasions actually got me all the way into a working linux

sometimes while boosting up is complains about a too short image files, later on it boosts with the same files without any complains

Anybody else having these inconsistent experiences? Windows CE unreliable and inconsistent in a similar way....

Any advice?

leo

Edited by stolk 2007-11-10 6:29 PM
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 8:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Did you download and run the nand erase file that M0zart posted? That will ensure you start with a clean slate.

Second, which files are you using? Refer to the wiki for the correct file names.

Reading your message again it sounds like flaky hardware. Run the memtest and the nand erase from compact flash and see if that makes a difference.

Paul Krupa
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 8:51 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Salmonito,

I read on a netbook wiki page about writing 0's to the front of the cf card to make it work. I'm not sure what the point is but I pass it on because I have had mixed success with different brands of cards. I didn't pay attention to it at the time and didn't take notes so I don't know which cards worked and which didn't. Presently, the unit that worked for me is a 1gb cf card with 3 partitions, 1 small dos, 1 couple hundred meg ext2 and the rest to part 3 at ext2. Of course this is all moot to you since your card isn't big enough to load the whole system.

Paul Krupa
 Top of the page
mrkrupa Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 8:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

One other thing I find interesting. There is not a single card, and I have half a dozen, that windows will not recognize.

Paul Krupa
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 9:09 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Paul I have 512 Mb card, it says DMA Fixed disk, maybe the second ex2 partition cannot be read by loader because of that... I don't know, I will pick up new card tomorrow since I could not get microdrive today...
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-11-10 9:12 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

stolk - 2007-11-10 5:46 PM

Linux on a NBP has been my dream for quite some time. Love the machine, own one and not happy with CE
Have been following Angstrom developments, excited about the possibility of a working linux NBP becoming reality. Now seriously trying to apply the steps and developments in this forum on my NBP

Without linux experience managed to prepare a CF card with two partitions, loaded various combinations of mentioned image and jffs2 files.
So far only The " original" LX files seem to work to some extend; It starts loading, but....
- three times got the LX startup screen , hanging afterwards
- even got a blinking cross cursor in two occasion; hanging afterwards
- on three occasion it started asking '1x login' and password or '(none) login' in plain linux screen and rejected all attempts.
- and on two occasions actually got me all the way into a working linux

sometimes while boosting up is complains about a too short image files, later on it boosts with the same files without any complains

Anybody else having these inconsistent experiences? Windows CE unreliable and inconsistent in a similar way....

Any advice?

leo

Hi i had seen a LX boot screen and after i had black screen with blinking cursor and nothing else. Now I don't even get that that result but I think I need a new CF card.
 Top of the page
Intrepid-Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-11 1:44 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

stolk - 2007-11-10 4:46 PM

Leo and Maris -- Well I finally whittled away enough of the LX root filesystem to cram it on a 128MB CF. Looked really good when I started booting, but it just dead-ended at a console login screen. Incidentally, if you get to this point with the LX distro, just login as 'root' and it will let you in -- you won't be prompted for a password.

Couldn't get a GUI up from here, though. Think I'm stuck at this point until I get a larger CF (microdrive!).

For anyone interested, here is the console output of my attempt to boot LX:

cf0-0 mounted: size = 39029 KB (78058 * 512) 
Loading "/cf0-0/nBkProOS.img"...
Load RAM image info: size = 3613045
NETBOOKPRO Linux26
K123m
Loading 48% complete...
Loading 97% complete...
Loading 100% complete...
Resetting to RAM module.
Command> Power state is now Run (8)
starting power monitor
IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind 16384)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
Epson S1D13XXX FB Driver, (c) 2004 Simtec Electronics
s1d138xx: s1d13806: revision 0
s1dfb-nbp: s1d13806: initialsing netbookpro settings
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 100x37
fb0: s1d13xxx framebuffer device
RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 8192KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... <7>nbp-battmon: nbp_battmon_setstate: returned 0
nbp-battmon: Battery monitor ready
<6>nbp-battmon: system restarted
done.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 72K
/linuxrc: 78: cut: not found
FATAL: Module i2c not found.
FATAL: Module i2ckbd not found.
cardmgr[673]: watching 2 sockets
cardmgr[673]: socket 0: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
hda: Hitachi CVM1.1.1, CFA DISK drive
ide0 at 0xc8820000-0xc8820007,0xc882000e on irq 94
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 250368 sectors (128 MB) w/1KiB Cache, CHS=978/8/32
hda: hda1 hda2
ide-cs: hda: Vcc = 3.3, Vpp = 0.0
cardmgr[673]: exiting
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (C) 2001-2003 Red Hat, Inc.
jffs2_scan_inode_node(): CRC failed on node at 0x016cabf4: Read 0xffffffff, calculated 0x1490a44b
Eep. Child "gpe-autostarter.control" (ino #1435) of dir ino #1157 doesn't exist!
Eep. Child "exit.png" (ino #2310) of dir ino #2286 doesn't exist!
Inode #2312 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #2313 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #2314 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #2316 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #2317 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Inode #2318 was a directory with children - removing those too...
Pivoting filesystem
INIT: version 2.86 booting
mount: Mounting proc on /proc failed: Device or resource busy
chvt: Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console
chvt: VT_ACTIVATE: Bad file descriptor
/usr/bin/gpe-bootsplash: error while loading shared libraries: libpixman.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Configuring network interfaces... done.
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/ is not a symbolic link

Nothing to be done
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
Starting Dropbear SSH server: dropbear.
Starting irattach: .
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[2061]: watching 2 sockets
cardmgr[2062]: socket 0: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
cardmgr[2062]: 'ide-cs' already bound to socket 0
done.
Starting syslogd/klogd: cardmgr[2062]: executing: './ide start hda 2>&1'
cardmgr[2062]: + mount /dev/hda1
done
Starting Bluetooth subsystem: hcid sdpdCan't open HIDP control socket: Address family not supported by protocol
hiddCan't open RFCOMM control socket: Address family not supported by protocol
rfcomm.
Starting at daemon: atd.
Starting GPE display manager: gpe-dm

Familiar Linux v0.8.3-unofficial-unsupported-snapshot-20051104 netbook-pro /dev/ttySA0

netbook-pro login:
 Top of the page
Acid Snoop
Acid Snoop Page Icon Posted 2007-11-11 4:48 AM
#
After a few experiments with the LX filesystem, i belive that it's the fault of the CF-Cards when you cannot boot propperly. A few times i've got problems accessing some OS files or some programs got a problem while accessing OS data. (ELF-Errors, read/write-errors) After recopying the whole filesystem to CF the problems where gone.

I don't know if standart CF-cards are a good choice to carry a filesystem becaus of data integrity and availability, i will try with a microdrive and will see what happens.

Greetings
Acid Snoop
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12