x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro I've found a working linux distro!

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 1:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ls: /rootfs/*.jffs2: No such file or directory

From the looks of it you need to create a directory labeled ' rootfs ' on 1 of the partitions (not sure which, but i'd assume first partition) and place the jffs2 file inside the rootfs directory.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 4:16 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'd go with that too. If that fails, perhaps symlink /rootfs to somewhere obvious?
 Top of the page
oldman Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 4:41 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hmmm maybe there was some misunderstanding. The first partition should still contain just nBkProOs.img_cf renamed to nBkProOs.img. The second partition should be a linux partition containing the root file system directly, not via an image file. This means, the jffs2 file must not lie in the second partition, it must be the second partition.

Theoretically it could be made this way: Create the second partition with sfdisk, cfdisk or fdisk, giving it the normal linux type id 83, and the same size as the jffs2 file (or a little bit larger if same size not possible). It must be a primary partition and not a logical drive in an extended partition. Then format and fill the partition at once with a command like:

dd if=xxx.jffs2 of=/dev/sdx2

Don't forget to replace /dev/sdx2 by the correct path of your second CF partition, otherwise you may overwrite the wrong disk! And even replace xxx.jffs2 by the desired jiffs2 file.

---

I got my Netbook Pro now, but I have no serial cable. Nevertheless I tried some jffs2 images the way described above, but there always just appears this disturbed cursor.
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 10:48 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi guys, I have been out travelling and now I will try all the things you did over the weekend! It is so nice to see these great results! Super. Will there be Linux running on Netbook Pro by New Year? I hope so. Sorry for missing out the action so far. Maris
 Top of the page
Eddie
Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 11:51 AM
#
Ok, good info on what to try next! Just so I'm clear, help me out on how exactly I need to set up the CF. Right now I'm working with:

1. Create and format 2 partitions on CF: 1 = FAT16, 2 = Linux (both are primary)
2. Place nBkPro.img, nBkProOs.img, and NBLXLoad.sh on partition 1
3. Place gpe-image.jffs2 on partition 2 (via the dd command)
4. Connect up the serial cable and give it a go

This sound correct?

Also, oldman, you should be able to pick up a serial cable for the NBP in a few places... here's one: http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=113832
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 12:28 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Eddie - 2007-10-26 11:51 AM

Ok, good info on what to try next! Just so I'm clear, help me out on how exactly I need to set up the CF. Right now I'm working with:

1. Create and format 2 partitions on CF: 1 = FAT16, 2 = Linux (both are primary)
2. Place nBkPro.img, nBkProOs.img, and NBLXLoad.sh on partition 1
3. Place gpe-image.jffs2 on partition 2 (via the dd command)
4. Connect up the serial cable and give it a go

This sound correct?

Also, oldman, you should be able to pick up a serial cable for the NBP in a few places... here's one: http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=113832

Eddie are you changing 7e8 instead of e8 in nBkPro.img and did you figure out the checksum problem? Sounds good to me, how did it go? I can't wait to get out from work and try it myself.
 Top of the page
Eddie
Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 3:08 PM
#
salmonito - 2007-10-26 12:28 PM
Eddie are you changing 7e8 instead of e8 in nBkPro.img and did you figure out the checksum problem? Sounds good to me, how did it go? I can't wait to get out from work and try it myself.

Err... crap. Forgot about that. I'll try changing the script to 7e8 tonight for attempt #3. The checksum issue, though, is beyond me.
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 3:18 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Eddie - 2007-10-26 3:08 PM

salmonito - 2007-10-26 12:28 PM

Err... crap. Forgot about that. I'll try changing the script to 7e8 tonight for attempt #3. The checksum issue, though, is beyond me.

Can you get to BooSt advanced menu? There is the checksum command. I have not used it yet... The description how to do it is on that BooStDongle.pdf something or rather My Netbook has the connectors for dock station on the bottom so I short the first two with a resistor (as described in that document) it works, > help gives me the list of available commands and checksum is one of them. IT will be fun weekend.

Edited by salmonito 2007-10-26 3:19 PM
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 3:28 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex, by the way, you should write a book about hpc hacking and development. "HPC Hacking" or something like that. We really need the theory you know... I am serious.
Here is the question about checksum.. So if in Netbook Pro BooSt menu checksum command is available, we should do : >checksum nBkPro.img get the number, then write it into the header of the same file, right? We need this to change e8 to 7e8 according to instructions. Thanks.

oldman thanks for your work!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 4:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

salmonito: sounds like a cool idea

as for checksum: i'd like to hear whether this worked.
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 11:52 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

"cksum nBkPro.img" when the file was not modified gave this result:
2979103945 300
cksum when I made advised change from e8 to 7e8 was:
3278238480 301

I got those results from advanced BooSt menu on my Netbook pro. I tried to find default checksum number (when file was e8) with hex editor in nBkPro.img, i could not find it.... cmonex is there something else i should find/do to change the header of the file with the new checksum data. Header is 256 bytes. thank you very much.
 Top of the page
Eddie
Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-27 12:20 AM
#
@salmonito:

From the booting text file:

The header is 256 bytes long where the last four bytes are used to store the
header checksum. All number fields in the header are 32bit unsigned integers
in little endian format. Strings are 8bit and padded to the full field length
with zeros.

That's a mouthful. Doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but that probably means it's important...
 Top of the page
Eddie
Eddie Page Icon Posted 2007-10-27 1:08 AM
#
Ok, tried putting nBkProOs.img on partition 1 (tried both ext2 and FAT16) and used dd to write the jffs2 file to partition 2. Nothing.

The error message (well, one of them) said it couldn't find a JFFS or JFFS2 file.

Soooo, I once again put all four files in a single ext2 partition. I should note here that it appears my efforts last night somehow successfully wrote the nBkProOs.img to the NAND (you'll see evidence in the output below).

Anywho, this time, it successfully found the JFFS2 file, but seg faulted and crapped out.

Here's the output:

Loading "/nand0-0/nBkProOS.img"... 
Load RAM image info: size = 3403850
NETBOOKPRO Linux26
K123m
Loading 100% complete...
Resetting to RAM module.
Power state is now Run (8)
starting power monitor
IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind 16384)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
Epson S1D13XXX FB Driver, (c) 2004 Simtec Electronics
s1d138xx: s1d13806: revision 0
s1dfb-nbp: s1d13806: initialsing netbookpro settings
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 100x37
fb0: s1d13xxx framebuffer device
RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 8192KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... <7>nbp-battmon: nbp_battmon_setstate: returned 0
nbp-battmon: Battery monitor ready
<6>nbp-battmon: system restarted
done.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 72K
/linuxrc: 78: cut: not found
FATAL: Module i2c not found.
FATAL: Module i2ckbd not found.
cardmgr[673]: watching 2 sockets
cardmgr[673]: socket 0: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
hda: Hitachi CVM1.1.1, CFA DISK drive
ide0 at 0xc8820000-0xc8820007,0xc882000e on irq 94
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 250368 sectors (128 MB) w/1KiB Cache, CHS=978/8/32
hda: hda1 hda2
ide-cs: hda: Vcc = 3.3, Vpp = 0.0
cardmgr[673]: exiting
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (C) 2001-2003 Red Hat, Inc.
mounting root fs writable
Pivoting filesystem
Segmentation fault
exec: 127: /usr/sbin/chroot: not foundKernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Don't know if we're any closer. Also note -- I did NOT modify the header in any way, so that may be a factor.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-10-27 4:55 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jon, the chap who I've contacted, told me he wrote a utility to calculate the checksum and that he'll send it to me.

He's busy at the moment, and I reminded him on Wednesday, so hopefully we'll get that soon. That might help, but being honest I thought boost would have complained earlier if the checksum was wrong?
 Top of the page
salmonito Page Icon Posted 2007-10-27 10:30 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Eddie that's a step forward. For I2c errors when i do "debug" in boost menu, it says I2C slave and master are blocked. There is a comand i2c, that takes device address on I2C bus and data byte as arguments, with it you can read and write. Is it something we can do to fix FATAL I2c error or it does not matter?
Any ideas why Eddie had this happen?
Segmentation fault
exec: 127: /usr/sbin/chroot: not foundKernel panic - not syncing:
Attempted to kill init!
Thanks.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 22 - Executed queries : 56