x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ASUS EEE compared to 900c and J720

1 2
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 4:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yesterday arrived my ASUS EEE. I was very surprised to see how small it is. It comes with Linux but it didn't take long for me to hook an external CD drive up to it to put XP on it. Here are some pictures:

(I'm not good with a camera, so please don't say anything )

has any other users had the chance to use an EEE? With XP it boots in around 20 seconds.

Edited by macmee 2007-12-23 4:17 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 4:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I saw some of these at a local computer show last weekend. They were starting at $385 with Linux and 4 GB flash storage.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I got mine for $470 after expenses. But I got an SDHC card to improve space. It's no good with linux, so I stuck XP on it. It is a good device.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 10:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

macmee - 2007-12-23 5:03 PM

I got mine for $470 after expenses. But I got an SDHC card to improve space. It's no good with linux, so I stuck XP on it. It is a good device.

Could you elaborate? What's "no good", the SDHC, the flavor of Linux on the EEE, or did you have a specific software application that wasn't replicated by the onboard (mostly?) open-source (?) applications ?

I like the form factor and am interested in portable computing (rather than desktop replacement).

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-24 2:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nice pics, so now i can see what its real size is like

horribly big compared to the jornadas

even bigger than 900c oh well

but nice you got the black model

Edited by cmonex 2007-12-24 2:12 PM
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2007-12-25 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thank you for the size comparison photos! I know the dimensions and I measured
them out on paper but I needed a comparison shot I can identify with. Your shot
with the MP 900, open and closed did the trick. I know the display is 7" but I
needed complete measurements. I suspected it was shorter in length but significantly
longer vertically.

Enthusiasts claim Eee software & the crisp clear display allows you to view an entire internet page at once without scrolling around. Having to scroll is something I hate about existing handhelds. They also claim clean and sharp image display makes
small full page text easy to read. This is important to me as I am visually impared.

It would be helpful if you would post your take on these matters.

For anyone interested in an Eee, Newegg.com seems to be the best US source right now for Eee PC. They sell all the models: 2gb surf, 4 gig & 4 gig surf, 8 gig and the most popular colors.

Enthusiasts claim that the black 4gig model still has the RAM memory access door
on the bottom. Others report the Pearl White model no longer has the access, which
means complete disassembly is needed to get at the single RAM slot to install a 1 or 2gig RAM module.

NewEgg has the $299 2gig surf model but be warned that while the RAM is increased from the original 256mb to 512mb, it is soldered to the Motherboard.

NewEgg does not charge higher than list price and S\H is very reasonable, not the
$39 eBay sellers demand. NewEgg charges under $11 for 2-3 day UPS.

Enthusiasts report surf models save you $50 but they come with cheaper reduced life
batteries, no slip case, and without the integrated web cam. Many owners say the cam, battery & slip case are not worth an additional $50. Reportedly the longer charge life battery gives about 30 minutes more time.

As smoking hot as the Eee PCs are selling, I figure third parties will soon
offer significantly higher mAh battery packs. When the 16gig models begin shipping, wanna bet we can get the 4gig model much cheaper than $399?

--Bruised
 Top of the page
kimstudio Page Icon Posted 2007-12-26 9:55 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi, I just bought one yesterday in Shanghai, China, white, 4G/512M with webcam, RMB2999 = 399US$.
I installed windows xp nlited version, it runs like a charm. I like its size and the power adapter is also very small.
Recommend it to hpc users!

Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-12-26 10:59 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

hmascience - 2007-12-23 11:31 PM

macmee - 2007-12-23 5:03 PM

Could you elaborate? What's "no good", the SDHC, the flavor of Linux on the EEE, or did you have a specific software application that wasn't replicated by the onboard (mostly?) open-source (?) applications ?

I like the form factor and am interested in portable computing (rather than desktop replacement).

I'm not sure what's bad about linux on it. The hard drive being just 4G isn't great but I got a 16GB SDHC card for it.

bruisedquasar - 2007-12-25 11:04 PM

Thank you for the size comparison photos! I know the dimensions and I measured
them out on paper but I needed a comparison shot I can identify with. Your shot
with the MP 900, open and closed did the trick. I know the display is 7" but I
needed complete measurements. I suspected it was shorter in length but significantly
longer vertically.

Enthusiasts claim Eee software & the crisp clear display allows you to view an entire internet page at once without scrolling around. Having to scroll is something I hate about existing handhelds. They also claim clean and sharp image display makes
small full page text easy to read. This is important to me as I am visually impared.

It would be helpful if you would post your take on these matters.

For anyone interested in an Eee, Newegg.com seems to be the best US source right now for Eee PC. They sell all the models: 2gb surf, 4 gig & 4 gig surf, 8 gig and the most popular colors.

Enthusiasts claim that the black 4gig model still has the RAM memory access door
on the bottom. Others report the Pearl White model no longer has the access, which
means complete disassembly is needed to get at the single RAM slot to install a 1 or 2gig RAM module.

NewEgg has the $299 2gig surf model but be warned that while the RAM is increased from the original 256mb to 512mb, it is soldered to the Motherboard.

NewEgg does not charge higher than list price and S\H is very reasonable, not the
$39 eBay sellers demand. NewEgg charges under $11 for 2-3 day UPS.

Enthusiasts report surf models save you $50 but they come with cheaper reduced life
batteries, no slip case, and without the integrated web cam. Many owners say the cam, battery & slip case are not worth an additional $50. Reportedly the longer charge life battery gives about 30 minutes more time.

As smoking hot as the Eee PCs are selling, I figure third parties will soon
offer significantly higher mAh battery packs. When the 16gig models begin shipping, wanna bet we can get the 4gig model much cheaper than $399?

--Bruised

I find that you do have to scroll about the same as one would with the HPC. The resolution is 800x480. But it can be changed to 800x600 with virtual scrolling.

Many many details and specifications, along with some information can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_eee

That's where I got my information to buy the device from.
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 5:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

From the user manual -

TRANSPORTATION PRECAUTIONS

...The solid-state driver's head retracts when the power is turned OFF to prevent scratching of the solid-state disk drive surface during transport. Therefore you should not transport the Eee PC while the power is still ON....

Lost in translation???

Regards, Don

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 6:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds clear to me. Turn it off before putting it in your car, so the driver head is retracted and won't scratch the surface of the solid-state drive.

I noticed a boatload of Eees listed on eBay today.
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 8:40 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thought solid state drives had no moving parts?
 Top of the page
TheoGeek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 12:44 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

bruisedquasar - 2007-12-25 10:04 PM

I've heard that the 2G Surf still has RAM in a slot, but no access door.

PS: checking forums again today it seems like many of the 2Gs have soldered RAM now. Oh, well.

Edited by TheoGeek 2007-12-28 12:48 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 1:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2007-12-28 12:13 PM

Sounds clear to me. Turn it off before putting it in your car, so the driver head is retracted and won't scratch the surface of the solid-state drive.

but uh, this isn't a hard disk drive.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 4:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Dunno - maybe the point of contact with the solid-state drive is not hardwired. Some kinda protection against power spikes when connected to power, maybe? (Just a really wild guess, of course, since I'm no electrician.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 5:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Maybe it is a microdrive....
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12