x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ASUS EEE compared to 900c and J720

1 2
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-28 9:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2007-12-28 6:03 PM

Maybe it is a microdrive....

There is little doubt that the disks in the ASUS Eee PCs are implemented in FLASH Memory ICs. That doesn't necessarily make it true, but a more likely explanation for the manual text is foreign language 'cut and paste.'

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-29 1:07 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2007-12-28 10:53 PM

Dunno - maybe the point of contact with the solid-state drive is not hardwired. Some kinda protection against power spikes when connected to power, maybe? (Just a really wild guess, of course, since I'm no electrician.)

what do you call point of contact?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-29 4:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Like I said, it was a really wild guess, but maybe something plugs into the solid-state drive (rather than the other way around) and retracts itself when power is cut off. (I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, though.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-12-29 9:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Maybe the manual was written before they decided to go with flashable memory, maybe it was written when they were testing with a microdrive and it just never got changed. But I can easily go with Don's explanation of translation in language problems....

So I wonder, how well does it work in sunlight, outdoors...and such...how quick is the actual boot process from completely off to a completed desktop screen with XP....etc...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-29 10:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2007-12-29 10:22 AM

Like I said, it was a really wild guess, but maybe something plugs into the solid-state drive (rather than the other way around) and retracts itself when power is cut off. (I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, though.)

even if so, that would not be used to read the drive, SSD's don't work like that.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2008-01-02 12:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Based on the hundreds of posts I read a week from Eee enthusiasts, the drive is
precisely what Asus and all the professional reviewers say it is. Flash Ram in the
form of an SSD drive. No moving parts! No heads!

Many owners have already installed XP and report surprise at how well the Eee system runs it. Some, as I plan to do, tried Win 2000 Pro SP4. They are delighted with the result. Occupies much less storage space and it is snappier. Some have set up Xandros\Win 2000 dual boot. Some already have two to Four Linux distros installed on
external storage. I plan to do dual install and boot from a tiny Matsunichi 8gb
micro drive or an 8gb SDHC card.

Hundreds of mods and tweaks have been tried and the results reported already.
It is exciting in fact to read the posts. Reminds me of the old Chinese adage:
"Let a Thousand Flowers Bloom.

Anyone who wants to know where THE EeePc forum and support group is on
the Net: http://forum.eeeuser.com

Most of the Threads there get several hundred posts a day.

For quality reporting on the Eee PC see: Engadget.com

The report located at the link below is report of an official statement made by Asus
German Spokesman Holger Scmidt. Reports Asus will ship a EeePC model in
2008 that has a 10" display with higher resolution than the current 7" 800 X 480

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/14/asus-confirms-the-8gb-10-inch-eee-pc/

An incredible amount of misinformation and inaccurate rumor is spread all over
the Net about the EeePC. Accurate information can be obtained from Forum.eeeuser.com and engadget.com

--Bruised
 Top of the page
VinVin Page Icon Posted 2008-01-03 3:52 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

The way I understand the idea behind HPC’s and UMPC’s is something small. If the EEE goes to a 10’ screen then it’s a laptop. I don’t want a laptop but something in the realm of the 900c size. The J7xx is great, good battery life and small, but lacks update ability. The 900c, thanks to Cmonex, to my liking is the best for portability. The only thing they lack is being able to update any file on my desk top, because a lot of programs won’t run on a 900c.

ASUS EEE appears to be the ideal unit to bridge the gap between a small portable unit and the desk top. Able to run either Linux or Windows means any program that runs on a desktop will run on the EEE to my understanding. Changing the bios to boot from any source is one of the best parts. So why don’t I own one? Lack of a touch screen, won’t fold back on it’s self like a tablet and I’ve only had my 900c for a year, need to use it a little longer to justify the cost.

The cost of SSD memory is coming down, so I suspect to see 16GB or more in the EEE by year end. Check this out http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/ Dissecting and 8g unit, adding an internal 3g HSDPA and adding a touch screen panel to the Asus EEE PC.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2008-01-07 6:51 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It has a solid state hard drive in it.

Rich Hawley - 2007-12-29 10:00 AM

Maybe the manual was written before they decided to go with flashable memory, maybe it was written when they were testing with a microdrive and it just never got changed. But I can easily go with Don's explanation of translation in language problems....

So I wonder, how well does it work in sunlight, outdoors...and such...how quick is the actual boot process from completely off to a completed desktop screen with XP....etc...

It boots with Linux in 15 seconds and with XP from 20-30 seconds.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2008-01-07 10:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Vinvin, I think you want to take a look at the huge Eeeuser forum. So many people
around the world were excited by the specs of the Eee PC that the site began
a few months before the first Eee PC was released. Since its release in November,
EeeUser forum activity shot up so much that it is impossible to read all the daily
posts in any thread. I am a very fast reader and I gave up trying to even scan all
the posts. I had to resort to Google site search to scan\read by subject. The site's search engine cannot function the activity is so great.

By the way, the site was earning money before the Eee PC release.

Interest in the Eee proved so hot that before Christmas the Eee Asus team released
A surf version of the original 701 2gig system. Then came a 4gig & 4gig surf, 8gig
and 8gig surf. As I posted Asus has not dropped ANY of the models. The planned
8", 9" & 10" display models will be in additional to. They'll be additional models, not
replacements. The Eee PC team is proving to be uncommonly agile. They are
providing something no PC maker has to date, REAL CHOICE and serious price
control. The last time I saw anything like this was when the original IBM Thinkpad
team went into action.

These Handheld CE devices were outrageously priced (retail new). Not so the Eee PCs.

Members of the Eee team are interested in and HEED consumer complaints and desires. I'm seeing even used Eee PCs go for RETAIL at auction. Retailers love them
since Asus could only make 330,00 units before Jan 1st. All sell for full retail or higher.
Wall Street and others are calling the Eee the number 1 success of 2007, reporting Asus is making big bucks from the system already.

Major business publications have issued excited reports about the Eee PC phenomenon and competing makers are rushing to release wannabe systems. In the mobile small
solid state PC market, Asus has launched hot action.

Officially, by the way, the Eee PC line are UMPCs, Ultra Mobile PC.
I am holding back my desire to buy one now. I decided to wait as 2008 releases
will be very exciting. this quarter of 2008, Asus is releaseing a Eee unit built with
an 8.9" display, higher resolution than 600x 480 widescreen, implimenting the
radically new Intel smaller than a penny Silverthorne wfer Processor and Menlow Platform. This wafer system is radical; the most interesting item to come from Intel in years. No wonder Intel skipped Microsoft and went with Asus and Linux.

Take a look at all the heavy experimenting and mod experiment that is going on
already. Asus' down right smart decision to take a chance and go with Linux has
much to do with the excitement and hacking and modding going on. The 2gig Surf
Asus Linux cannot "see" two gigs of Ram, in a week users came out with and released
free, a patch mod that allows users to use 2 gigs DDR2 RAM.

No, there is a lot more to the Eee systems than just the bios allowing multiple device
booting.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/

--Bruised

Don't be the first to jump on a new idea but don't be the last to leave an old one
either.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2008-01-07 6:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Update

Check out this short report. I wanted to post it here but I do not want to get anyone hysterical. Its a copyright article.
Reports Intel CEO says the Fed is pressuring Intel to stop working with Asus Eee PC and the free Laptop project and other makers of inexpensive PCs!

--Bruised
 Top of the page
ExPsionMan Page Icon Posted 2008-01-10 8:47 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Now there's an opening for AMD!

Looks a great machine - but I think I'll give it time to develop before buying and stay with my MP900c

ExPsionMan
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.269 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12