x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

3G PCMCIA Cards for HPC 2000

1 2
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 4:49 AM
#
Hi everyone,

Long time viewer, first time poster. I've recently become a proud new owner of a Jornada 728, which will be accompanying my Psion Netbook. Yeah yeah, I know, EPOC and HPC 2000 is an odd pair, but I tell ya, give me HPC 2000 is so much better than PPC/WME.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether anyone is aware of a 3G card that could work with the J728? Primarily its gonna be used for Data connections, but if theres an option to for voice, it would be handy as well.

I know of an EDGE card that would work with the HPC 2000, the Sierra Wireless 775, but I would prefer a 3G card more. Thanks everyone.

Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 5:37 AM
#
H/PC Elite

3G, EDGE, Nice!

Back to the point, If there PCMCIA cards then there is a chance it would work, just the driver would be a problem, They go cheap on eBay, so check out one on there, then search for drivers. If you tell us the card you are thinking about I'm sure we'll help you on a driver search.

Nick
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 5:54 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I think the anwser is no most of the 3G cards are Cardbus and they don't work, so edge seems the only/ best option.

Nick
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 6:50 AM
#
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking along the lines of the Soney Ericsson 3G cards, or even the Vodafon 3G/GPRS card. The issue is obvously the driver, which makes the 775 card so damned attractive.

However, if these cards would accept standard AT Hayes commands, isn't there any chance that these would work???
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 7:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I haven't managed to find out all that much information on it, but isn't there a Vodaphone pcmcia card 3g adapter; I've seen it about a few times but never found driver downloads or a model number.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 8:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't think there is a non CardBus 3G card, but there is a Vodafone GPRS card, that might be 3G compatable.

Nick
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 9:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

We can use a SOCKET BLUETOOTH PCMCIA connected to a 720 and use a 3G telephone with Bluetooth. Its a solution.

I have a Sierra Aircard 750 and i'm very happy with it. My connection is about 40kbps, not too much but I can use internet.

The GPRS is expensive to internet navigation
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 9:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I just found it and the Vodafone 3G one is Cardbus too
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 10:00 AM
#
H/PC Elite

This is kinda taking it off-topic abit but,

Could someone explain GPRS to me, do you get charged for How long you are online for or How much data is sent/ recieved?

Cheers,

Nick
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you only get charged for the amount of data. and it's faster than gsm
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh yeah that's the best solution (bluetooth+3G phone), it's easier on the battery too, and more available if only we had 3G here in hungary but not yet
by the way, has anyone looked at the nokia D211? it sounds so cool, gprs+wlan in one card
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 10:43 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Some of the new Vodafone GPRS cards come bundled with 5MB of prepaid use. 5MB is quite a lot of pages over GPRS but as somebody else said, once you start paying (when your 5 megs are up!) it can become expensive. Forget downloading large files unless you have a very large wallet

GPRS is OK for short browsing sessions and the speed is acceptable. Good for text onle emails too and the real plus is that you can access the net anywhere in the world without a phone line in sight - assuming your network has coverage in your destination
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 10:56 AM
#
In Malaysia, GPRS, EDGE and 3G are now being offered as an unlimited service subject to a monthly service fee. I'd rather get a 3G card cos they're much cheaper than getting a 3G phone..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 11:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

GPRS is usually charged per KB. If you connect your cell phone to a GPRS network and left it for 7 days, came back and looked at your bill you shouldn't be changed anything over and above the handshake, and maybe a little IP junk that comes and goes from robots.

So if you have GPRS, don't set your email to autoscan every few minutes, or it'll get pricey.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Trying to find my old Mobile now, IrDa and GPRS compatable, (Nokia 8210 or something like that)

Thanks for your help anyway.

Nick

Edited by Nick Charlton 2005-05-07 11:07 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.230 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10