x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

.NET Compact Framework on H/PC Pro

1 2 3 4 5
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-11 5:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Even though C:Amie did put out a news article about it on the home page a few months ago, it may have passed under most members' radar: one of our members here (Stefanov) has compiled support files that enable the .NET Compact Framework 1.0 (Service Pack 3) to work on CE 2.0 and CE 2.11 devices. With the latest version (released only about a week ago), I've been able to run several .NET CF applications on my CE 2.11 devices.

No hexediting is required. Just install the application using the CAB file - you don't have to change the OS version. The only trick: you have to add ".net" (without the quotes of course) to the end of the executable's filename (eg, PocketPDF.exe becomes PocketPDF.exe.net). (An alternative is to leave the filename as is and open it using the command line; eg, netexec.exe PocketPDF.exe.)

The cool thing about this is that most .NET CF apps work with all CPU types, regardless of what CPU is identified in the program file itself - and most will work on the PC as well. For example, Valentin Iliescu's Rubik cube application, though written for ARM devices only, will work on MIPS and SH3 devices as well as on the PC. And they're not platform-specific either - they can work on CE 2.11 Palm-size PCs as well as H/PC Pros.

Check Stefanov's CodePlex site for details:

http://www.codeplex.com/NetCFWinCE200
 Top of the page
khe Page Icon Posted 2008-05-11 12:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Sounds great. Is there a version of .NET Compact Framework for ARM / HPC2000, too?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-11 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes, the one for PPC2000 works just fine! up to 1.1, though I found 1.0 SP3 works better

BTW, I've tried programming in c#, and it is a joke... I'm used to C/ASM but C# would be a joke even if it was my first language. CE Geek, if you want to start somewhere to program for HPC's, I really recommend this to you
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-11 9:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I need to do some more homework before I try my hand at writing programs.

khe - 2008-05-11 9:24 AM

Sounds great. Is there a version of .NET Compact Framework for ARM / HPC2000, too?

As cmonex points out, the original version of .NET CF 1.0 was written for CE 3.0, so it will work on H/PC 2000 devices. The purpose of Stefanov's project was to extend its applicability all the way back to CE 2.0. I've been able to use it in CE 2.11 thus far, though I haven't been able yet to get any .NET CF apps working in CE 2.0.
 Top of the page
khe Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 5:43 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Just in case anybody else also needs that 720 cab, here it is:

http://uploaded.to/?id=eylw2r

(I hope it's the correct cab since I wasn't able to install it yet.)

Does anyone have any recommendable ebooks on programming in C#? What SDK do I need to program for Handheld devices?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 6:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Could you guys, like, start another thread to discuss that instead of changing the subject on mine?

Back to the topic at hand: I've gotten close to a dozen .NET CF apps to open in CE 2.11 already. See the discussion forums in the above-linked site (MY link, not khe's ) for details.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 6:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry CE Geek

khe: just a quick reply... you'll need VS (not the express edition sadly). ebooks, no idea... you can figure out most of the stuff easily
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-19 1:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

BTW, this should be of interest to Sudoku enthusiasts, since most Sudoku programs for Windows CE devices (including Pocket PCs) are written in .NET. One of them, PPCSuDoku, works quite well on CE 2.11 devices with this version of the .NET CF. (You may need at least a full VGA screen, however - eg, NEC 800/880, Jornada 820, Clio, etc - to view the whole board, as the menu bar cuts off the top of it in HVGA.) There's also a nice file explorer program called Voyager written in .NET that works quite nicely.

If anyone has any .NET CF 1.0 programs (s)he wants me to try, feel free to post them here.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-21 7:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Here's a page I found with links to lots of .NET CF apps (both 1.0 and 2.0 - of course only the former can work with this version of .NET CF):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/bb735326.aspx

I've tested a few of the ones here thus far, and will be trying some others later. Several of these are freeware, including a pretty nice multifunction calculator. (Some of the links are no longer valid, but I'll be checking some of these in archive.org.)
 Top of the page
JulioAngelOrtiz Page Icon Posted 2008-05-31 10:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

This is DARN impressive. Bravo to those involved!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-06-09 3:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So far, the vast majority of .NET CF apps I've found will work in H/PC Pro without any issues. (As of now, I've gotten over two dozen .NET CF 1.0 apps working in H/PC Pro.)
 Top of the page
JulioAngelOrtiz Page Icon Posted 2008-06-11 8:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

A list of .NET CF apps compatible with this release would be incredibly helpful. Maybe I'll see if I can start something if there'll be some help.

EDITED TO ADD:

I saw a "Maximus" web browser on the list, which got me thinking: isn't it technically possible, with this .NET package, to create a more functional web browser than currently available for the platform using .NET 1.0?

Edited by JulioAngelOrtiz 2008-06-11 9:08 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-06-12 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

technically yes, but it would be slow
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-06-12 2:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Most likely. (Where'd you see that browser, Julio? )

Okay, here's what I've listed on Stefanov's site thus far:

FsViewer
Chrono
PDADnDRoller
PocketPDF (haven't been able to produce a readable PDF yet, though)
PPCSuDoku
SuDokuPPC (no, not the same as the above program)
BSoduko (yes, that's how the software maker spells it)
Rubik
Pocket AniEd
Voyager (a nice file explorer)
TimeMe
deltaTimer
Pocket Dice Roller (requires a full VGA screen or WinWatch to access the onscreen button to start)
dfiMastermind (appears in full screen)
YaRPNcalc (a nice multifunction calculator)
Matrix Game
Pocket Image Editor (a freeware image editor)
TriMet (a local transit schedule viewer for the Portland, Oregon area)
3Peaks, Bruce's Solitaire (two shareware solitaire games by the same developer)
Same3 (a shareware SameGame variant by the same developer as the two solitaire games above)
PocketDay (opens but won't access the PIM databases, so unusable thus far)
MooreGames
CounterTimer
Mobile ScreenTester
Pocket Word Block

Results vary - while most of these apps have worked on all the devices I've tried (three H/PCs and two Palm-size PCs, covering each of the CPUs available for CE 2.11 in each platform), a few only work in some of the devices.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-06 4:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Another note: Stefanov notes that the issue with running .NET CF apps in CE 2.0 seems to be related to menus within the apps. This seems to be a big sticking point with CE 2.0 - in past efforts to get 2.11 and above apps to work in CE 2.0, it seems that the 2.0 coredll doesn't know what to do with aygshell.dll. For this reason, I suspect that I may be able to get .NET CF 1.0 apps working in CE 2.01 (the first Palm-size PC platform release). However, I haven't been able to test this yet because there's not enough RAM on my Philips Nino 300 to install the runtime. (I plan to try it on an old Everex Freestyle that I have lying around, as soon as I get that device together. ) Meanwhile, I haven't been able to locate a .NET CF app that does not have any menus. Do any exist?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.207 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10