x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

.NET Compact Framework on H/PC Pro

1 2 3 4 5
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2009-01-09 10:49 AM
#
H/PC Elite

So, let me get this straight. What exactly is .net Compact Framwork? And, does it mean that CE .net 4.x Handheld PC applications work on CE 2.11 and CE 2.0 OS'?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-01-09 11:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's a CLI bytecode language that instead of being compiled for a CPU is compiled to be run through a real-time compile managed code runtime engine (.net virtual machine). You write in one of many languages, it's converted into byte code that will execute on any machine, any OS so long as it has a virtual machine to run it - it is Microsoft's version of Java in short.

It has nothing to do with native mode applications that are compiled for the CPU type in C/C+/C++.
C# is .net's version of C++. It is not C++.

C++ compiles to machine code, C# compiles to a distributable that is converted to machine code on the fly when executed. In otherwords, it is inefficient (like Java) however it is easy, accessible and free.

If you don't use embedded API's you can run a .net app on a Windows PC, some *nix systems (unofficial) as well as a Windows CE / WM device without needing to compile/recompile anything. The OS is completely irrelevant.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-09 11:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Paspie - 2009-01-09 7:49 AM

So, let me get this straight. What exactly is .net Compact Framwork? And, does it mean that CE .net 4.x Handheld PC applications work on CE 2.11 and CE 2.0 OS'?

Put in simpler terms, the .NET Compact Framework is a runtime - a set of files through which some applications are written to run, similar in that sense to eMbedded Visual Basic, PocketC, NSBasic, or (as C:Amie mentions) Java. The advantage is that the same version of the programs themselves can run on a CE device with any processor type - you don't need separate versions for ARM, MIPS, SH3, or x86.

The .NET Compact Framework 1.0 was originally released for Pocket PCs running Windows CE 3.0 or higher (and it's preinstalled in ROM on Windows Mobile 2003 devices). It also worked in H/PC 2000 and core CE 4.x .net devices; however, it did not work in devices running any version of CE earlier than 3.0. An open-source developer (on the Web site linked in my first post in this thread), however, has successfully built a version that is compatible with Windows CE 2.0, 2.01, and 2.11.

Many Pocket PC and Smartphone applications use .NET CF 1.0, so this has provided a means to run these applications on older devices without having to alter the applications themselves (which is often a violation of those applications' End User License Agreements). Programs requiring .NET CF 1.0 to run are usually so identified at the download source (ie, the download page will have a note saying that .NET CF 1.0 is required). Check some Pocket PC software Web sites like Pocket PC Freeware or FreewarePPC to see what I'm talking about.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2009-01-12 3:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I guess, if it has nothing to do with what i've specified, then I'll just remove it from my HPC. That's what I've already done!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-31 5:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I brought up with dstefanov the possibility of adding .NET CF 2.0 support, and he advised me that he is already looking into this possibility, but needs to hear from H/PC users to determine the level of interest. Any members here who'd like to be able to run .NET CF 2.0 apps on their CE 2.xx devices can vote here:

http://www.codeplex.com/NetCFWinCE200/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 5:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

New releases are out - and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Stefanov was able to compile SH4 and x86 versions as well!

Check it out: http://www.codeplex.com/NetCFWinCE200/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?...

Also, please take time to cast a vote if you want to see .NET CF 2.0 developed for CE 2.xx (see the link in my previous post).
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 7:10 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2009-02-25 5:50 PM

New releases are out - and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Stefanov was able to compile SH4 and x86 versions as well!

Check it out: http://www.codeplex.com/NetCFWinCE200/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?...

Also, please take time to cast a vote if you want to see .NET CF 2.0 developed for CE 2.xx (see the link in my previous post).

Are the updated releases located elsewhere? The downloads at that link are the same 1.0 SP3 downloads from July of last year.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 1:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Dunno why the dates are given as July of 2008 for the SH4 and x86 releases, but they're there on that page - just scroll down a little and look closely.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 2:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2009-02-26 1:12 AM

Dunno why the dates are given as July of 2008 for the SH4 and x86 releases, but they're there on that page - just scroll down a little and look closely.

Oh, those. I thought you were announcing that there was a new version available (like a CF 1.0 SP4 or something ).

Edited by mscdex 2009-02-26 2:02 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 2:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Time for new prescription lenses, mscdex?

SH4 version tested and working nicely.

Edited by CE Geek 2009-02-26 2:09 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-23 10:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

For my 8000th post, I'll put up a color screenshot, taken from my Hitachi ePlate:

(NETCF2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NETCF2.JPG (46KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-05-24 2:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2009-05-23 10:35 PM

For my 8000th post, I'll put up a color screenshot, taken from my Hitachi ePlate:

That's still .NET CF 1.0 right? Or is there a 2.0 out now (I ask because the image's filename is "netcf2.jpg"?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-24 3:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, it's still .NET CF 1 - that's just how I numbered the .NET CF 1 screenshots I took. We need more votes (LOTS more) on this page to get .NET CF 2:

http://netcfwince200.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=678...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-05-24 8:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not to hijack the thread, but nice Rubik cube snapshot. I hate those damn things...could never solve them. I used to peel off two of the stickers and swap out their locations on my various friends cubes just to drive them nuts....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-24 8:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I feel as though I can now judge you on so many levels Rich
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9