x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: HTC Advantage X7510

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 9:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Something a little different for us here at HPC:Factor today in the form of a review of a Windows Mobile device.

Once you have picked yourself up off the floor from the shock of it all, allow Clinton Fitch to show off the pros and cons of one of HTC's latest devices to be equipped with a keyboard (a Haptic one at that). Running Windows Mobile 6.1, and sporting the latest features in PDA technology, the X7510 is a fair way distant from the standard Handheld PC that we are use to, so once you have read the review let us know what you think of the latest developments in the Windows Mobile device world in the comments.

View: HTC Advantage X7510
 Top of the page Quote Reply
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 10:42 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

To add to Chris' introduction, if anyone has a specific question around the X7510 post it here and I'll try to answer it.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 11:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

haha i am posting this from an x7500. i've had it since last october

verrry neat just the keyboard is lacking compared to sig3.

please all athena users should make sure they are using realvga

the default 192 dpi is so horrible. i am on 128.

btw we at xdadevs backported x7510 rom to 7500
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 11:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2008-06-17 10:39 AM

haha i am posting this from an x7500. i've had it since last october

verrry neat just the keyboard is lacking compared to sig3.

please all athena users should make sure they are using realvga

the default 192 dpi is so horrible. i am on 128.

btw we at xdadevs backported x7510 rom to 7500

I don't agree on the 128 dpi. I find 192 great when viewing in my car or at a glance while on the go. It makes reading email very easy for sure.

I'd rather not dicuss ROM cooking but there isn't an official ROM out yet for the x7510 - why I haven't review the software bits yet.
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Excuse me while I scrape my jaw off the floor... Who would've thought it? A Pocket PC review on HPC:Factor?

I see CE Geek hasn't yet visited...

That said, it is a great review, and as in depth as ever. I am looking forward to future installments. To my mind this class of devices does fit into the niche vacated by the H/PCs, and with the release of Windows Mobile 7, and the promise of nearly identical form factors as the old H/PCs, HPC:Factor does seem the right place for such a review.

XDA-devs refers to these devices as the "X-series" (their name not mine, and a rather arbitrary classification at that) which includes the Universal, Athena and Clio. With the Omni (hopefully) and others coming out soon, and the Intel Snapdragon and nVidia Tegra platform in the wings, are we likely to see more of reviews of these types of Pocket PCs here?

Edit: I'm with cmonex on the 128dpi - it is the perfect setting for me.

Edited by ZSX 2008-06-17 12:58 PM
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 1:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This is strange: there are still plenty of Windows CE devices on the market ( most PNAs run WinCE nowadays ) but no single modern WinCE device with a keyboard. But several PocketPCs like this one do have a keyboard...

Anyway, I don't think I would buy such a PPC : I'd be more interested in one of the new subnotebooks like the EEE PC which come with a much better keyboard and a reasonable price...
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 2:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

ZSX - 2008-06-17 9:57 AM

With the Omni (hopefully) and others coming out soon, and the Intel Snapdragon and nVidia Tegra platform in the wings, are we likely to see more of reviews of these types of Pocket PCs here?

(trying very hard not to throw up)

Once again, what's wrong with the core CE 5 GUI?
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ZSX - 2008-06-17 11:57 AM

Excuse me while I scrape my jaw off the floor... Who would've thought it? A Pocket PC review on HPC:Factor?

Yeah, I know... shocking but given that this form factor "fits", I felt it appropriate.

:-) Not yet but it'll be there soon I'm sure.

That said, it is a great review, and as in depth as ever. I am looking forward to future installments. To my mind this class of devices does fit into the niche vacated by the H/PCs, and with the release of Windows Mobile 7, and the promise of nearly identical form factors as the old H/PCs, HPC:Factor does seem the right place for such a review.

Once I get the final ROM from HTC I will be posting on the applications and Windows Mobile 6.1.

I think it fits as well, obviously, but I do not see Factor leaving the H/PC community. We, particularly Chris, have spent many years working to become THE H/PC site and thanks to all of you we are just that. While I can see us having these types of reviews here and there, and maybe even some true UMPC reviews, we will still be supporting the H/PC for the forseeable future.

Edit: I'm with cmonex on the 128dpi - it is the perfect setting for me.

I still prefer 192 as it makes it easier to read at a glance while driving or walking with it.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-06-17 5:07 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2008-06-17 1:06 PM

(trying very hard not to throw up)

Once again, what's wrong with the core CE 5 GUI?

I don't think many will say anything is wrong with it here... but the question still remains applications and that's what is driving the WinMo world and the iPhone now frankly.

Glad you didn't puke.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-06-18 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

clintonfitchdotcom - 2008-06-17 5:53 PM
I don't agree on the 128 dpi. I find 192 great when viewing in my car or at a glance while on the go. It makes reading email very easy for sure.

I'd rather not dicuss ROM cooking but there isn't an official ROM out yet for the x7510 - why I haven't review the software bits yet.

192 is a shame if you compare it to a HPC.

as for ROMs, we've had its rom for months, that's how cooking was possible.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-06-18 9:40 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Another nice job, Clinton. You could write a review of a Maytag refrigerator and I'd read it.

Jake
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-06-18 2:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

<purist rant>Only if it runs CE. </purist rant>
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-06-18 3:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

clintonfitchdotcom - 2008-06-17 11:42 AM

To add to Chris' introduction, if anyone has a specific question around the X7510 post it here and I'll try to answer it.

Forgive me for an early software question, but can it run any of the Adobe pdf readers? What pdf reader does it have, if any?

Thanks, Don
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-06-18 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2008-06-18 8:40 AM

Another nice job, Clinton. You could write a review of a Maytag refrigerator and I'd read it.

Jake

Thanks Jake! I don't see refriderator reviews in my future but it's good to know it would get read! :-)
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2008-06-18 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

DonL0001 - 2008-06-18 2:17 PM

Forgive me for an early software question, but can it run any of the Adobe pdf readers? What pdf reader does it have, if any?

Thanks, Don

Don, no problem. Currently the device comes with Adobe Reader LE installed for PDF veiwing. Now I say currently because this isn't the final ROM on the device. I would assume - safely - that this will be in the final ROM as well.

For those who are thinking it, let me answer it! I do not have an ETA on the final ROM from HTC. I am hoping soon though as we were told it would be June.
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 30