x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SIMPad stuck in calibration loop

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2008-09-03 7:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have a Siemens SIMPad SL4 with WinCE 4.1 on it, and nothing else much really. The SIMPad is only used as a portable picture viewer for photos on a CF card, but I figured it could make a nice desktop photo frame, maybe even installing Linux on it.

Unfortunately, it seems that the pad has decided it will not leave the calibration screen, no matter what I try. I have tried the reset hole in the back, but it just reboots and enters the calibration screen, never to leave it again.

Does anyone know what I can do about this?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-03 7:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't know anything about a simpad, but on my hpcs, I can just hit escape and bypass the calibration...even when the digitizer is broken and causes my hpc to stay in the calibration loop.

Does the simpad have a keyboard or can you plug one in?

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-09-03 7:42 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-03 8:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The SIMpad doesn't have a keyboard.
 Top of the page
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2008-09-04 8:11 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It does have an onscreen keyboard with a hardkey to activate it, but that doesn't help. If I tap the ESC key to bypass calibration, the dumb thing thinks I've tapped the first calibration cross.

I do have a Newton keyboard, but I don't have the cable to connect it -- yet -- and I wasn't planning on doing lots of hardware modding on this pad anymore anyway.

Edit: Not with my Pandora almost on its way, that is.

Edited by Jazz 2008-09-04 8:42 AM
 Top of the page
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 3:54 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Polite bump?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

so, are you sure it is running 4.1 and not a 4.2 copied off someone else's simpad.

that would have the same symptoms

but if yours just won't calibrate, then the touch screen may be faulty
 Top of the page
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 4:27 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex - 2008-09-07 6:56 PM

so, are you sure it is running 4.1 and not a 4.2 copied off someone else's simpad.

that would have the same symptoms

but if yours just won't calibrate, then the touch screen may be faulty

Definitely 4.1. In fact, it came with 4.1 installed and I haven't touched the firmware. I tend to agree that the touchscreen might be on the fritz, if I have the time I'll try to install Linux on it; see if that helps.
 Top of the page
Daniel79
Daniel79 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-22 5:11 PM
#
I have the same Problem with my SIMpad SL4.

@Jazz Is your SIMpad now okay?
 Top of the page
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2008-09-23 7:44 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Daniel79 - 2008-09-22 5:11 PM

I have the same Problem with my SIMpad SL4.

@Jazz Is your SIMpad now okay?

Nope. I'm afraid this will mark the end of my short foray into WinCE land.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-23 11:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't give up yet. It doesn't look like you've tried a factory reset yet (press and hold the button to the right of the power button, and while holding this button press and release the reset button in the hole in the back). Let us know if that helps.
 Top of the page
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2008-09-30 9:36 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

CE Geek - 2008-09-23 11:15 PM

Don't give up yet. It doesn't look like you've tried a factory reset yet (press and hold the button to the right of the power button, and while holding this button press and release the reset button in the hole in the back). Let us know if that helps.

Same thing: "please touch the screen", upon which the calibration screen comes up and keeps cycling, no matter what I press.

I wouldn't mind so much that the touchscreen is toast (as it seems to be), but rather that there is no way in Wince to get the OS going without it (the calibration loop). Seems like braindead design to me...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-30 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you can ... reflash it with a ROM that does not run the calibration program - simply remove startup.exe from the ROM and rebuild it. very easy, using dumpromx you do not need to do anything special. well one special thing is, there is a checksum32 of the ROM image in the header, so you need to modify that too. if you need more details I can help.

but make sure you can use some keyboard or mouse then...otherwise not such a braindead design on a tablet without hw keyboard

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-30 8:00 PM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-12-24 3:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

To try my luck, I acquired a second SIMpad SL4 with CE 4.2. I encountered the dead calibration loop too. I was able to use a good backup from another pad to restore settings that allowed me to go to the desktop. Now, the problem is I could not reach 'Calibrate' tab as the first tab 'Double-click' was ready as default thru the wobble plate (5-way button). Of course, a hard reset would bring that dead loop back again.
BTW, I could not find a manual or user's guide though I got the technical reference from opensimpad. I was trying to find out how to press 'Escape' during calibration as the pad does not have such a hard key.
If anybody needs such a backup file (70k after compression), I can provide it to help you reach the desktop at least.

Edited by CAuser 2009-12-24 3:53 PM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-12-25 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oops! The user's guide is right here.

Edited by CAuser 2009-12-25 1:10 AM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-12-25 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

After a hard reset (right mouse button+keyboard button+reset button), SIMpad returned to the dead calibration loop. The only way I found to get out of the loop is to restore settings from a good pad. I did manage to reach the 'Recalibrate' button, but dead loop again. Oh, how can we press 'Esc' while the pad does not have such a physical key?

Edited by CAuser 2009-12-25 8:59 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 26