x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Foxit Reader (new and old versions)

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 8:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So I'm playing around with Foxit on my 900C, looking at the new features. They all work fine, some are not optimized for HPCs.

The one thing I love about FoxIt is that it is a single file. Not a bunch of components. Just the executeable, and it is easy and fast. I think it makes this possible by not having a lot of features you see in Primer or Acrobat.

BTW, before I go any further, I sent an email to Global Graphics. They are the people who took over for Ansyr, bought them out. I asked if you could still buy and register Primer. The answer is NO! Here is their response:

Richard, Thank you for your enquiry. The Jaws PDF Primer technology is no longer available for sale or license. The Jaws PDF Primer technology is now only available for licensing to OEM partners who want to bundle the software into their products. If this is the core area of your interest then please Email me. Additional information about the Jaws PDF technology is available from the following website: www.jawspdf.com

Regards
James Bidewell
Director of Sales - eDocument Technologies

Seem silly to me that they are not at all interested, but luckily the software can still be downloaded from third party sites, and while I don't normally endorse piracy, there are multitudes of serial numbers you can find easily to activate the software permanently...since there is no other option.

The newest version of Foxit runs only on the 900C or device with CE.NET. It has a lot of nice features. You can rotate the screen 90 degrees at a time if you want to go from portrait to landscape, the zoom level is infinite and controlled by a slider bar on the right side of the screen (see screenshot), the program will go to any page quickly, and the search function works flawlessly. I especially like a search function when viewing pdf files.

Since only a small portion of the page is used, you can either drag the screen image up using the stylu, you can use a smaller document image to determine the viewing area, or you can use the cursor keys. Controls allow you to move forward/backward a page at a time, or to the end/beginning of the document. The bookmarks make it easy to go to a specific page you select.

If you haven't tried it out yet, you should.

Now here is a special treat for you HPC2000 people. I'm not sure if it works on the J720, but it does work on the HPC2000 OS of the 900. It is a version of Foxit, that is made for CE3. I found it searching the web sites around the world. It seems to be a full-version and I don't see any copyright information. Perhaps it was an early release. So get it now as I am still planning on taking down HPCNEC in by the end of December.

Link: http://hpcnec.com/foxit.zip

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-11-19 9:02 AM

(foxitzoomlevel.jpg)

(foxitsearch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments foxitzoomlevel.jpg (90KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments foxitsearch.jpg (51KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 12:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich

Nice find...it works on the 720/728!

Sorry to hear about the demise of HPCNEC.com......another great resource gone!

Edited by Hurricane John 2008-11-19 12:35 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 12:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually, I won't dump HPCNEC entirely, I'll just go to a minimized version of text only and change servers...will actually be easier to read on an HPC.

But it will be a static site with little or no updates.

It'll be here: http://webpages.charter.net/hpcnec/index.htm

Rich
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 12:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich,

"...So I'm playing around with Foxit on my 900C, looking at the new features. They all work fine, some are not optimized for HPCs. ..."

Just for completeness, can you identify the source for this version to go along with your other version noted at the end?

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 3:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Foxit is a nice PDF reader. FWIW, the CE 4/Windows Mobile 2003 version works nicely on the J72x with RedGear.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 5:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

DonL001, source for the CE3 version? It was on some site that used Asian characters...I couldn't understand it, but it showed up when I was searching for "pdf readers" like on page 35 or higher when using Webcrawler. Actually, it didn't even say Foxit, but when I ran it I recognized it as being Foxit. But it looks like the old version they used to have on their site, although it says "internal testing" on the about screen. I'm not even sure it was something that was supposed to be released. But there weren't any disclaimers in the program when I ran it either. And it says "for evaluation only" so maybe it will quit working after a while...don't know really.

If you meant the source for the new version with the search features? I sent an email to Foxit asking for a full working version to test all the features, and they sent me one. It still has the graphic overlay, but at least I can test the program fully. And interestingly enough, it says for CE5 when you run it, though obviously it works with CE.NET 4.2.

The CE3 version wouldn't be my first choice. I'll probably go ahead and get the newer version, heck, it's only like $20. And you really need a search feature with a pdf reader...at least I do.

CEGeek, you are right, it is nice...and if Redgear makes it work on the HPC2000 platform, then I'd buy the newer one myself.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-11-19 5:43 PM
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-12-22 2:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2008-11-19 6:36 PM

DonL001, source for the CE3 version? It was on some site that used Asian characters...I couldn't understand it, but it showed up when I was searching for "pdf readers" like on page 35 or higher when using Webcrawler. Actually, it didn't even say Foxit, but when I ran it I recognized it as being Foxit. But it looks like the old version they used to have on their site, although it says "internal testing" on the about screen. I'm not even sure it was something that was supposed to be released. But there weren't any disclaimers in the program when I ran it either. And it says "for evaluation only" so maybe it will quit working after a while...don't know really.

If you meant the source for the new version with the search features? I sent an email to Foxit asking for a full working version to test all the features, and they sent me one. It still has the graphic overlay, but at least I can test the program fully. And interestingly enough, it says for CE5 when you run it, though obviously it works with CE.NET 4.2.

The CE3 version wouldn't be my first choice. I'll probably go ahead and get the newer version, heck, it's only like $20. And you really need a search feature with a pdf reader...at least I do.

CEGeek, you are right, it is nice...and if Redgear makes it work on the HPC2000 platform, then I'd buy the newer one myself.

Rich

Rich,

I have downloaded the CE4.2 and CE5.0 versions of Foxit. Am I correct in believing that these are only evaluation versions and that there is presently no way to purchase licenses for them?

I have run them on Viewsonic V210 (CE4.2) and V212 (CE5.0) panels with pretty good results. The CE4.2 exe runs on both machines, but the CE5.0 version won't run on the V210 machine. ( as expected)

The only significant glitch that I've seen is that the following pdf file has very poor quality text, even though it looks fine on my XP desktop with Adobe Acrobat 8 :

http://mises.org/humanaction/pdf/HumanActionScholars.pdf

Regards, Don

Top of the page
tomboyed Page Icon Posted 2008-12-22 9:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Rich Hawley - 2008-11-19 9:55 PM

Now here is a special treat for you HPC2000 people. I'm not sure if it works on the J720, but it does work on the HPC2000 OS of the 900. It is a version of Foxit, that is made for CE3. I found it searching the web sites around the world. It seems to be a full-version and I don't see any copyright information. Perhaps it was an early release. So get it now as I am still planning on taking down HPCNEC in by the end of December.

Link: http://hpcnec.com/foxit.zip

Hi Rich

I have tried to download the foxit.zip using the above link but the link above no longer working...Please help.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tom
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11