x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Poll: Best Wireless 802.11 PCMCIA PC Card for Win CE 2.11

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
nycmax
nycmax Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 2:23 PM
#
Crazy thread title - I know - got in the habit of making titles "keyword friendly" from all the eBay auctions I've put up.

Ok.

I need a wireless PC card for my MP780. In another thread, people had good things to say about the Proxim Orinoco Gold and Enterasys Roamabout. How about the Intel 2011 or Proxim Orinoco Silver? Better yet, let's make this a poll. What card do you have? Do you like it, why? If not, why not?

If you've tried more than one card, do offer your opinion.

Thanks!
 Top of the page
bbking67
bbking67 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 10:05 AM
#
I have the Ambicom WL1100C and it works very well. With the power management enabled it is very reasonable in terms of power consumption.

I recommend getting a PCMCIA-CF adapter for it or a memory card though... I don't have one yet and it is a real pain to remove CF memory to go wireless.

Now if only PocketIE was better...
 Top of the page
MikeH
MikeH Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 3:45 PM
#
You can drive yuorself crazy trying to figure out which one is "best" or you can simpley purchase the Orinoco Gold PC Card. It works flawlesssly in my 780 and at $34 from NewEgg it's a steal.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 6:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I've said it before, i'll say it again: Orinoco Silver/Gold is your best bet (IMHO)

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
Niteman1969 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 11:01 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've got four cards to choose from because when I got my hpc's I bidded for cards
on ebay but couldn't wait to get the hpc's all wi-fi'd up and saw cheap wireless
network cards at a local computer fair - so bought them.
Unortunatley I also then ended up winning my Ebay auctions.

Anyway I have tried them all and these are my opinions.

Orinoco Gold - Good Range - Easy to set up profiles and switch between them
DHCP can sometimes unexpectedly fail to pick up an ip address which only then
seems to be cured by removing and re-installing the driver.

Enterasys wireless roamabout - drivers very similar to those for the orinoco
which isn't surprising seeing as they have the same hermes chipset.
This means it also shares the same problems.

Cisco Aironet 350 (PCM 352)
Using latest cisco drivers - very good drivers - very stable lots of options
but has less recieve sensitivity than the orinoco or roamabout.
It does however allow you to upgrade the pcmcia card's firmware
from the hpc - a good plus point.
Also has a site survey tool - so works as a wifi scanner on hpc machines.
Works well with the latest cisco drivers in hpc2000 and pocketwinc.
Ocasionally drops dhcp and needs re-install of drivers

NetGear MA401
Using Reference Intersil Prism drivers from HCL
lots of options - although I can't find any power saving options
in the wireless tool.
Slighty less receive sensitivity than the orinoco & roamabout
but more than the cisco.
Rock Solid - have never not been able to recieve dhcp ip address
and works well for ministumbler and pocketwinc on hpc2000 machines.

Regards

Niteman1969
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-06-05 4:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have been using the Aironet 340 by Cisco, but I just installed the Entrasys roamabout. WOW it is so much better than the 340 distance wise.
The 340 is great for in house connections, and for my connection at work. The 340 is concealed inside the HPC so no one can tell that you can connect, and has no huge antenna sticking out of the side. I do have to say that you can hook up an external antenna to the 340, and that would make the distance just about even, also the 340 is much less expensive.
The roamabout is good also for my laptop, because WinXP has built in drivers and all you have to do is plug it in.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-06-05 4:55 PM
 Top of the page
nycmax
nycmax Page Icon Posted 2005-06-06 5:42 PM
#
Went the budget route and bought the Enterasys Roamabout for $22/incl. shipping on eBay.

So far, so good. The range is a little better than my Netgear MA521 802.11b card, but after playing around with it for a while, I realize that aside from checking my e-mail, I don't intend to use the MP780 for any other kind of browsing. The MP780+Pocket IE won't render some of the more "flashy" sites and speed-wise, it's about on par with a 56K dialup connection.

Pretty much what I expected, however.
 Top of the page
SFT Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 6:48 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have a Jornada 820 using Orinoco Gold 16bit PCMCIA wireless card.
While I've gone through some hassles with drivers (stick with the one on the CD: don't change it!) when I went back to the first, I've had no trouble.
Easy to use, with a low power mode for in-office use, works great at the local coffee shop hot spot---
I recommend the orinoco
 Top of the page
duc748bip
duc748bip Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 2:10 AM
#
I have a Linksys instant wireless PC card ver3 ( driver: 1.07.29 Firmware 1.03.04) I frequently need to soft reset for the MP to recognize it. It connects fine but never gets IP from DHCP server. I tried to manually configure it and it still doesn't work.
Should I abandon it and get the Orinoco Gold?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 3:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

are you sure it is the correct driver? the symptoms you describe could mean that it isn't the right one.. or it is just buggy..
try the prism2 reference drivers in the CESD.
 Top of the page
duc748bip
duc748bip Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 5:03 PM
#
I have the driver from Linksys.com. My last hop is to update the firmware. But I really want to stay away from that, since I have to install the WPC11 onto my laptop. (It is almost grinding to a halt because of all the program on it.) WPC11 was found from the stack of older technology from our server room. But usually try to stay away from third party drivers but I would give it a shot if you can point me in the right direction as to where to find CESD or prism2
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 5:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The CESD is the name of the HPC:Factor support section. Click in and head for the Intersil Prism 2.5 reference drivers.
 Top of the page
SFT Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 1:53 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

AFter a lot of sniffing around on various web sites and forums, I went with the Orinoco Gold. make sure you're getting the 16-bit card; the Orinoco site can help you there.

Lots of information about Orinoco. It works in my ce 2.11 machine without a glitch (apart from the beginning operator stupidity...)

found it easily on various web sites for a reasonable price.
I recommend Orinoco.
 Top of the page
ajr
ajr Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 4:39 PM
#
MikeH - 2005-06-04 3:45 PM

You can drive yuorself crazy trying to figure out which one is "best" or you can simpley purchase the Orinoco Gold PC Card. It works flawlesssly in my 780 and at $34 from NewEgg it's a steal.

Hey, how did you get your orinoco gold to work with your nec 780? Im having problems getting mine to work.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 4:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

AJR, can you run us through what you've done so far; no sense covering old teritory.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10