x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How would you classify the upcoming Nokia 770?

1 2
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 10:56 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I guess ya'll are right, I would love to have one though.
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2005-05-30 3:18 PM

oh and you weren't careful when you said the OQO would satisfy all these needs, because it can't do instant-on (hibernation isn't the same.. i've tried it) and has horrible battery life, has a hd, hasn't got a good keyboard etc... neither of the first 4 factors are ok with the OQO.

Crikey cmonex you don't miss a thing do ya
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sure i don't you see if you have a serious intention for buying, you can't overlook even the slightest details
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi,
The thing about the OQO, or anything that runs XP, is pretty much mentioned before. Regardless of the physical form, in order to run XP, two of the requirements stand out as anti-HPC:
- No instant-on
- Hard drive access

I think I need to start another thread about instant-on one of these days. Long story short: just imagine suspending your PDA/HPC on and off 3 times in a row. It happens.

Hard drive access is also a huge issue. Everything needs to be transferred from the HD to RAM, everytime you boot, or load something up, or switch to another program, or whatever. With CE, everything is either in RAM or ROM, or in some cases your memory card. Overall there's a significant difference in system responsiveness.
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 6:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

We all know that the OQO, and any other full blown computer (no matter how small) can not match up to all the features found in the HPC form factor we all know and love. But the fact remains that our devices are getting older and at this moment in time there are few if any devices available which do meet all the needs listed in an earlier post.

You can't blame anybody for seeking out different devices which meet most of their individual requirements even if they can't be classed as 'HPC's'. I would buy any new device that comes out which features all of MY requirements regardless of the OS or any other hardware features which may not be considered true to the HPC form factor. When a new Palm based handheld featuring a full querty keyboard, landscape screen AND a built in microdrive or similar comes out I will buy it. That may be considered bad by some people on this site but the fact of the matter is that the market is, at this time, devoid of any such device with that feature set.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 6:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh a dream machine except that it has palm os ? that would be a tough decision for me... lack of multitasking greatly bothers me...
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 7:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yeah, OK so Palm OS isn't too everybody's liking (including mine to be honest) but what I mean is that it is the features I would consider more important for my needs than whether or not it runs a version of CE. Obviously it would need to be very portable. The Sharp Zaurus 7xx/860 devices seem great but are just a little too small for my liking and finding one here in the UK is tough - I know a few companies offer an 'import service' but the cost is way too high. I only mentioned Palm OS because I think that is the most likely to appear in a HPC-like form factor considering recent innovative hardware designs from some manufacturers. I'd be happy with Windows CE, Linux or even a Symbian/EPOC based device as long as the hardware features were right
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i don't mind if it's palm os but if it doesn't have multitasking then no good... that's just as important a feature for me as the hardware.. EPOC was quite good, if you don't count that it could not be as powerful as a microsoft OS (not enough support without MS or another large company), it was excellent, good multitasking&speed, and especially its stability was remarkable... (my psions *never* froze/crashed/locked up.) so i don't mind a symbian OS, though it doesn't seem as good as EPOC was - nokia "quality"... (sorry but that's my opinion)
so, palm OS should change much if it wants to support any res more than 320x480/480x320 and more expansion options and *real* multitasking. etc. keyboard support is already solved at least..
ahh yeah zauruses don't have a big screen & usable keyboard... grr. linux would be a good choice over windows CE if it was developed a little more (including available programs for it)... currently windows CE is the most powerful pda OS imo. so i keep hoping that there will be a real hpc again
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9