x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ARM CE razorbook for $119

1 2 3 4
setanta Page Icon Posted 2009-05-01 10:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It looks like they are! That would explain the desktop shortcuts on the razorbook when you convert it into a Prometium! I clicked on them duringthe process but nothing happened, obviously those SoftMaker packages where intended to be installed aswell (I hadn't noticed the links earlier)? I am still waiting for my free softmaker office from 3k..... in the meantime Iam using the old version 6 which I had purchased for my nec 900. Softmaker is much faster on the razorbook, and looks great. I wonder if Prometium package is better? My razorbook is now working fine (using it to type this), now all we need to do is convince cmonex that the razorbook is amazing and deserves the attention of her genius ;-)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 3:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, I'm not yet convinced that it's amazing, though it has some potential. 3K sent me a brand-new replacement, which I just got today. Working fine so far, though it still refuses to connect to my network. (It appears to see it, but "fails to associate." Any special settings you're using? )

Edited by CE Geek 2009-05-05 3:59 AM
 Top of the page
snappyjaw Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 9:15 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Forgive me if this is ultra basic and you've long since tried it, but it took me a while to figure it out.

When you start the razorbook, the wireless connection windows pops up, lets you enter all your settings, then tries to connect but never associates. My did it to me multiple times as I checked and double checked that I was entering everything correctly. Then I noticed the wireless/wifi icon on the desktop. I double clicked it and the little window popped up with a check box to turn the wireless connection on. I checked the box, closed that little window and it immediately associated with my network and I was up and running. It still doesn't make sense to me that it went through all the configuration setup without the wireless being fully on.

I hope your issue is as simple as mine was.

Edited by snappyjaw 2009-05-05 9:16 AM
 Top of the page
setanta Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK some Razorbook tips. First of all this machine has some potential however the implementation of WinCE on it has some problems:

1) There is no suspend mode, when you power off it is similar to a cold reset.
2) Registery settings get saved between reboots buts files installed in the Windows folder do not.
3) Similarly for desktop shortcuts, but them in the my documents folder and you can use them from reboot to reboot.
4) There is something wrong with windows media player, but it does work.
5) DO NOT install Realplayer, it will brick your machine (see my previous post for getting oneself out of that situation).
6) Flash 7 will install but when you reboot the installation breaks.
7) The machine is about the same speed as an nec 900c

Softmaker Office 2008 is available at the Prometium website I mentioned in an earlier post.
Most importantly each time the machine starts up you have to switch on the wireless...this is a shortcut on the desktop

Edited by setanta 2009-05-05 2:31 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 4:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Same speed as the 900C? Now I know for sure I don't want one....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 9:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I think another upgrade of the English ROM image is in order. I'll bring that up with 3K.

Thanx for the wake-up call, snappyjaw. I went to the WiFi icon and clicked "Open WiFi." However, I'll have to test it later tonight as there's a temporsry power outage in my neighborhood (for system maintenance), so there's no WiFi signal source available ATM. (I'm using 3G on my Netbook Pro right now.)

Incidentally, I will say that I like the display a lot. It's quite bright, and easy to see outdoors.

Edited by CE Geek 2009-05-05 9:29 PM
 Top of the page
setanta Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 11:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have had to flash the rom twice now (the results of fiddling with realplayer), the last time I did it I had a good look around the ROM from the Netherlands, nothing much to it the 3K rom is better. The screen on the Razor book is great , I find myself using it all the time now, it particularly handy for reading pdfs.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-06 2:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yep, that did it. I'm posting this on my RazorBook now.

I'm really liking the battery life so far too. I've been on this thing for three and a half hours (including over a hour of Web browsing) and it's only down to 70%. Like I said, this one has potential.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-14 3:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Crud - after working fine for several days, the replacement RazorBook I got is doing the same thing the first one did (freezeup upon reaching the CE desktop, with the "illegal operation" error message for services.exe). I'm getting in touch with 3K tech support again. Has anyone else had this problem?
 Top of the page
snappyjaw Page Icon Posted 2009-05-14 4:36 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I'm no help anymore. Mine's getting relisted on eBay. I'll stick with my Netbook Pro for now.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-05-14 8:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sounds like they didn't take much care into building a decent CE OS for it, much like NEC did for the 900c. It's a shame as these machines really aren't bad. Granted i have the alpha-400 which is mips not arm and runs linux instead of CE, otherwise everything else is the same. Haven't had a single issue yet. The only gripe i had was the default linux that was installed which i've since replaced with my own custom distro. Other than that it's totally replaced my jornada 728 which now collects dust.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
setanta Page Icon Posted 2009-05-25 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

More info about the razorbook, and the reason why the desktop icons disappear..

http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-25 7:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the link - very helpful.

The RazorBook does have a hive registry, so I had suspected that this had something to do with why everything gets dumped when powered off. I've also noticed that it renders SD cards unreadable (requiring reformatting) if left inserted while booting up, as it automatically looks for a ROM image there, so I have to remember to remove the card after each use.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-25 11:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It doesn't really explain how to make shortcuts stay after rebooting, but I was able to figure out how to do it: for Start Menu shortcuts, simply copy the entire Programs folder in \Windows and paste the folder in \NandFlash\Windows, and then edit the value for "Programs" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Explorer/Shell Folders to the new folder location. To keep the desktop icons, simply do the same thing with the Desktop folder in \Windows. (You can also do the same thing with the Startup folder in \Windows to make programs execute at startup.)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-27 3:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I should note that I have confirmed that the RazorBook has a persistent registry by default: in the root of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is a registry value called "RegPersisted" with the value set at 1. (Haven't tried disabling the persistent registry - no need to at this point. ) No mention of any of this on the 3K tech support forum by any tech support people, despite several people complaining about the loss of desktop icons, etc each time the device is restarted. (I tried to register with that forum to post the above info, but there's no link for registering. )

It's clear that the CnMBook has not only different pre-installed programs in ROM, but also different USB drivers. The CnMBook user guide says that you can connect to a PC via ActiveSync simply by plugging a USB cable into the rear USB port of the CnMBook and then connecting the other end to the PC. ActiveSync then supposedly loads automatically. The USB cable (which has to be A-male at both ends) is supposed to be included with the CnMBook. The RazorBook has no such cable, and does not connect at all (nor does 3K claim any such ability) when a double-A-male USB cable is connected between it and the PC. The RazorBook, however, does have USB mass storage, HID, and printer drivers (usbmsc.dll and usbmsfn.dll, usbhid.dll, and usbprn.dll, respectively), while the CnMBook denies USB mass storage support. (I've confirmed that the RazorBook does read USB thumb drives fine in all three USB ports, and a USB mouse also works nicely out of the box.) Knowing, though, that the device is capable of synchronization via ActiveSync, I wish I could do it with mine.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9