x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CnMbook - Windows CE netbook

Marcus Rowland Page Icon Posted 2009-06-24 6:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Maplin, a big UK electronics retailer, are selling a Windows CE based netbook:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=257308

They've previously sold an identical-looking linux machine, as far as I can tell this is the same machine with a different ROM and possibly processor, but the same firmware otherwise.

Windows CE 5.0
7-inch widescreen
266MHz ARM processor
128MB memory
4GB solid state storage (HD card storage up to 32GB)
Built In 802.11b/g Wireless
10/100 Ethernet
1x SD Card slot for upgrade - up to 32GB extra storage
3x USB for mouse / keyboard connection only (no support for external Hard Drive, USB memory stick or Optical Drive)
Basic Office pack - Including SpreadCE Spreadsheet, WordPad, Foxit Pro Adobe Reader, Media Player, Core Video Player (play online vidoes), Windows CE ActiveSync, Support for YouTube videos
Dimensions: 211(w) x 140(d) x 30(h) mm

I've heard that they don't have a "suspend" mode, which seems pretty stupid for a CE machine, and that anything left on the desktop disappears when you switch off. It's also worth noting that the linux version had only 2-3 hours battery life. But it suggests some interesting possibilities for future machines, I think, if someone gets around to putting a decent implementation of CE into a high-spec netbook.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-06-24 7:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

these are slow and have been available in diffrent names for quite some time.

John
 Top of the page
Marcus Rowland Page Icon Posted 2009-06-24 10:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Doesn't surprise me. It's not the sort of machine I want at all - I'd like something more the size of a DVD case when folded, that one is just too big - but I thought it might be of interest to others.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-24 7:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's not a bad device IMHO - I have another incarnation of the same device (mine's 3K Computers' RazorBook 400 CE), and I'm getting 8-10 hours of browsing on a single charge (and I don't find the browsing to be slow, though it's not exactly blazingly fast either). It has a persistent registry, which is why settings and shortcuts get dumped on reboot. I've figured out the workaround to preserve settings, shortcuts, etc: there's another Windows folder inside the internal flash ROM (\NandFlash), and you can get the device to point to that folder by changing the registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Explorer/Shell Folders.

No solution thus far for bringing true suspend/instant-on to the device, though, and I agree that that's a pain we CE users are supposed to be spared.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-06-26 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

CE Geek - 2009-06-25 12:02 AM

It's not a bad device IMHO - I have another incarnation of the same device (mine's 3K Computers' RazorBook 400 CE), and I'm getting 8-10 hours of browsing on a single charge (and I don't find the browsing to be slow, though it's not exactly blazingly fast either). It has a persistent registry, which is why settings and shortcuts get dumped on reboot. I've figured out the workaround to preserve settings, shortcuts, etc: there's another Windows folder inside the internal flash ROM (\NandFlash), and you can get the device to point to that folder by changing the registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Explorer/Shell Folders.

No solution thus far for bringing true suspend/instant-on to the device, though, and I agree that that's a pain we CE users are supposed to be spared.

CE Geek any chace of a vid of it doing some common web sites.

ta
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-26 2:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'll see what I can do. I may write a CESD too on the how to save the settings as I've described above.
 Top of the page
queenie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-01 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ii recently bought one of these from maplin for my daughter to use (so i could get on my own laptop) while it seems to be working well for most of the things she uses I am having trouble finding any games online that are compatible as the flash is low (or so i read somewhere I think its flash 2) can anybody help please
 Top of the page
queenie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-06 6:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

think I am just going to return it to the shop not really what I was looking for!!!!!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-07-06 7:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Think maplin ships the linux version....

has someone one here not done a full linux rom for these with a lot more/better software etc.???

John
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-07-06 11:59 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yea. I've made couple images to flash on them. Known to work on most all the 'rebrands' that have the mips cpu. Main download site (mirror) is http://3mx.taita.co.uk for a few images and extra software. More images (including debian etch) can be found on this forum: http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-06 12:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2009-06-26 7:51 PM

I may write a CESD too on the how to save the settings as I've described above.
Go on, I dare you
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-06 3:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Since several CE 5 devices (including some GPS devices) seem to have this feature, I'd actually like to write it not specifically for the RazorBook, with the first step being to check the registry to see if the keys are there in the first place.
 Top of the page
easywrite Page Icon Posted 2009-10-07 6:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Queenie

I've been playing with the CE version of the CNM minibook and have managed to get some standard windows CE software and games working on it. There's a good site here. CNM Software
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-10-17 3:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2009-07-06 9:17 AM

CE Geek - 2009-06-26 7:51 PM

I may write a CESD too on the how to save the settings as I've described above.
Go on, I dare you

Done.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0127.asp
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.199 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11