x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Nec 780 and Xircom CreditCard Ethernet

Wolfowo Page Icon Posted 2005-06-14 2:45 PM
#
What to do in order to use my Lan?
My card is labeled as 'CE3-10/100';
I plugged the card, configured the 'NE2000 Compatible Ethernet Driver' and the 'PROXIM ethernet driver' likewise my desktop is configured.

Hoping to get that cleared up.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-14 3:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wolfowo,

I'm afraid you are not going to get very far without the proper drivers installed. I just did a clean install on my 780 and it worked fine on my network.

First of all, go here and download the CE3_CE.EXe file: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results....

That file contains all the drivers you need for your 780. After you run it, it will copy all the various cpu cab files to your selected directory. Find the file that is named CE3_HPCJUP_R4_R21.MIPS and copy it to your 780.

Tap on it from your 780 and it will install the drivers. Afterwards, you should be able to go to your control panel, tap on the NETWORK icon, and you should see the driver listed there as Xircom Ethernet Adapter 10/100 Driver, just beneath the built in NE2000 and the Proxim drivers.

You shouldn't have to do anything more after that. Just warm reset your 780, and after it boots, insert the Xircom Credit Card adapter. Open IE and have fun...

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-06-14 3:58 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-14 4:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It has to be a CE3B-100BTX, not a CE3. You can pull the driver from the HCL as well.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-14 7:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Chris,

I'm not sure what you meant about the CE3B-100BTX....

But I can tell you that I am staring at an Xircom ethernet card that on the front of it says Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100-Upgradeable and on the back side it says CE3-10/100.

Does that mean anything special? There are three connectors for dongles. A tiny 2 pin one in the center and wider ones on each side. My dongle for the ethernet jack only fits in the one connector.

The driver I downloaded from the site said for Windows CE 2.0 only, but when I installed the cab files, the title of the file ended in R21 which I assumed was revision 21 for CE 2.1 maybe?

Anyway, what I wrote works perfectly on the Moblepro 780.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-06-14 7:22 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-14 7:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich,

There are a couple of different versions of the card and at least one is purportedly unable to operate under CE with this driver based on information from Intel and users.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-14 9:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ahhh...different versions. That always aggravates the heck out of me because if you buy something on eBay or anywhere else, you might get a version that doesn't work for you...and there is really no way to tell on some things.

Stupid manufacturers. NEC is not better however. When they made the 790, halfway through manufacturing and distribution, they changed companies due to contract disputes. The new company made the same exact rom/ram chips, but labeled them with new part numbers. Made it very confusing.

NEC also originally distributed the MP900, and then after they resolved the "turning on at midnight" error, you suddenly saw it listed as the MP9000. They denied there was any change or difference whatsoever, that it was simply a logistical change, but it was very coincidental and could never provide a reason for the part number change.

Different versions...different period...confusing at best. Okay, sorry, am off my soap box. Wolfowo...let us know how you come out with whatever you try.

Rich
 Top of the page
Wolfowo Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 1:29 AM
#
Having downloaded and installed what you've mentioned I tried to configure the xircom driver. The driver is listed, yet after the first reboot (?) it ddin't allow me to edit anythin, it said something like 'the card will resolve the ip automaticly' or similiar (in both ip and dns tabs). I reseted it for the 2nd time, configured it and inserted the xircom card, the computer slowed down extremely! IE was searchin for google for a good minute, with a negative result, neither did ping work.
I'm quite frustrated :/

When I get back from shcool I will try to get my nec connected to the net by Sony's K700i with GPRS...
Oh, I've received my nec just two days ago.

Many thanks for your help!
Looking forward to a reply.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 5:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

When you insert the card, the unit does slow down considerably for a few seconds while it searches for a wifi signal.

It could be that the network you are trying to connect with will not allow you access. If you get a chance, try another location.

If when you inserted the card you didn't any prompt that asked for the name of the device, then it accepted the driver you installed which is good.

Also check with your network administrator. It could be you have to input your user id and password to log onto the network.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-06-15 5:59 AM
 Top of the page
Wolfowo Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 10:10 AM
#
Rich Hawley - 2005-06-15 11:56 AM

When you insert the card, the unit does slow down considerably for a few seconds while it searches for a wifi signal.

A lan card is searching for a wifi signal?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 10:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've been scratching my head over that one too... MobilePro user for "cable connection" may be
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 11:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, laugh at me...my wife does. I didn't phrase that very well, but that's what my card does on my 780. When I insert the card, it seems to be searching as the screen doesn't refresh for a couple of seconds, and then everything comes on and up to speed.

And I was confusing the wired card with previous wireless experiences...okay, okay, so I don't know what the heck I am talking about.

But I do know that I just did all this a second time, not even 20 seconds ago and it worked fine again.

Rich
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 30