x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

3G and Jornada 728

1 2
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 1:29 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Okay, probably I will receive a big "NO" for this question, but I will never forgive myself if I don't ask that: "Is there a way to use 3G on my Jornada 728?" I was looking for any PCMCIA 3G card, but it seems that all PCMCIA card for this are 32bits. Other thing I was planning was to use a GPRS card. It's an older technology, but 3G chips work well with that. Are there any good GPRS PCMCIA or CF card that works on the jornada?
Another (and maybe the worst) option is to use an iPhone with jailbrake and use some software to transform it into a WiFi 3G modem. So it's possible to connect to 3G using wifi. But doing this I drain both the battery of my phone and battery of my jornada, so it's smarter to use only the phone.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 2:13 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The Sierra Aircard 775 is EDGE, and has native drivers for the Jornada. Some people talked about getting newer Sierra Aircard (with 3G support) to work by using RedGear, but it was temperamental. There are also other EDGE cards that can work, for example the Sony Ericsson GC7x/GC8x line of cards.
 Top of the page
wdquine
wdquine Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 4:03 AM
#
ohh, im definately buying one of those now, ive been wanting EDGE on my 900C
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 7:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

sierra aircard 850 (3G) works on j7xx. For how to ceck this forum or the alpaxo forum
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Wow guys! You all raised my expectations about the little jornada. Good to know that! =)
I can't find the sierra 3G card here in Brazil (looking to the local ebay) and I'm not good with international shopping. But I found the Ericsson GC85 and GC89. Do you know if these card will work on the jornada? Is it a simple task? They are really cheap here in Brazil so I want to give it a try.

Edit: I'm a little confused about the GC85. The HCL on the site says that it works on the Jornada without any driver, but it must be the 16-bit version. I can't find the difference between the 16-bit and 32-bit version and the seller doesn't know also where to find it. I looked at the Ericsson site, and it says this about the GC82/83/85 PCMCIA Card: "these products require a laptop with a PC Card slot. It will work with both the 16-bit PCMCIA interface and the 32-bit CardBus interface." Now I don't know if the same card works with both 16-bit and 32-bit slot or if there are different models, one for 16-bit and other for 32-bit.

Edited by ntware 2010-03-03 2:28 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

16 bit interface is called PCMCIA and 32 bit one is CardBus. If it sais it will work with 16 bit interface it will.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Okay, I just bought that! =) Now another question: Will it works with my 3G SIM card? How can I connect to internet using it? I couldn't get the "commands in terminal" idea. Should I call to somewhere? So it will works like a dialup? Will I be charged for local call instead of my 3G plan?
Thanks
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 4:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think the connection to your network would depend on how you have service set up on that SIM card. If you already have a data plan on that SIM I think you can just plug it in and go(assuming you have all your software loaded for your card). I've been able to do this with an ATT SIM and my Sierra card. However if you do not have data on your card i think you'd have to use it like a dial up modem and connect to a server that way. I'm not sure but i would assume that connecting that way would slow down your connection to regular modem speeds
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 7:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

rgisondi - 2010-03-02 11:30 PM

sierra aircard 850 (3G) works on j7xx. For how to ceck this forum or the alpaxo forum

- but as isotherm says above, different people are getting different results. (I, for one, haven't been able to get my Sierra 860 card - the US equivalent of the 850 - to work on my 728 with RedGear.)
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 7:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

jorel101 - 2010-03-03 11:50 AM

I think the connection to your network would depend on how you have service set up on that SIM card. If you already have a data plan on that SIM I think you can just plug it in and go(assuming you have all your software loaded for your card).

The problem is that the GC85 (as HCL states) doesn't use any driver or software. It is detected as standard modem by WinCE. So to use it you must enter AT commands on terminal (that's the scary part). How can I connect using AT commands? How can I make sure that it's connecting to GPRS instead of a "dialup money eating" thing?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-03-03 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Does Sierra Aircard 850/860 must have the antenna plugged in to work?

Does anyone reported it to work with Netbook Pro?

Edited by Slycarter 2010-03-03 9:00 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-03-04 6:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's exactly what I use mine with, Slycarter.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-03-04 11:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2010-03-03 2:08 PM

- but as isotherm says above, different people are getting different results. (I, for one, haven't been able to get my Sierra 860 card - the US equivalent of the 850 - to work on my 728 with RedGear.)

So, the Sierra Aircard 860 does not work in Europe!
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-03-04 3:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Taking back to the GC85, does anyone know how to connect to EDGE using terminal commands?

Edited by ntware 2010-03-04 3:47 PM
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-03-04 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hello ntware,
If it works, could you please let me know? because I want to get one of those to use with my VIVO SIM.

Best Regards.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12