x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My CE6 10.2" Netbook

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 3:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I really had no idea exactly what I was getting, but I bought it on eBay HERE.

Certainly not something you can carry in your pocket....BUT I CAN TYPE ON THE SILLY THING WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

And that is really important to me, plus I can see the screen fine as well. Goodbye 7" netbooks...hello 10.2" netbooks (for me anyways)

The box it came in from China was typical generic. Inside is the brand name: Wabook Sky. Users manual is in Chinese...figures. All applications work great, including the YouTube that everyone seems to need (not me). Will post info on device list in a couple of days.

Comes with standard applications, Textmaker, Planmaker, Foxit PDF reader, TCPMP v72RC1, MSN Messenger, nPop, SpreadCE, etc...

The built in camera captures video or still photos, but is not a webcam. Picture below shows it in comparison to my 7" netbook.

(ce.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ce.jpg (55KB - 12 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 3:45 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
The price is right, too. Legit copy of Softmaker?

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 3:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Seems to be full-version, but not legit...registered to twfx...unless they have some blanket agreement with Softmaker. Good question though, I'm going to email them and ask.

Addendum: email sent to Softmaker...let's see what they say.

This 10.2" netbook is really everything I wanted my Mobilepro 880 to be. Better TFT screen, built-in 802.11g wifi, good keyboard feel, newer OS, functional camera, USB 2.0 ports, SD card slot, pretty much everything except touchscreen...
 Top of the page
tonyreece Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 4:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi. Are you able to connect a usb 3g dongle to your netbook
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 5:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

What's the keyboard like to use? doesn't look like there's much travel in them. But the price is nice.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-07-13 5:15 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 6:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The keyboard is great...nice key travel, not excessive, but a good positive feel.

Other things: No silly hidden folders. When I install a program, and it installs in the program folder as it should, it stays there when I power down, or soft-reset. Not like my 7" netbook, but like my Mobilepro and Jornada...wo wo!

But I don't see any way to hard reset...

I still don't see any way to Activesync however....I have to install using cab files and a usb flash drive, or SD card.

Silly me...the second half of the user manual was in English. In the manual it says, NOTE: THIS COMPUTER ONLY SUPPORTS FOLLOW MODE: "HUAWEI WCDMA" 3G USB DONGLE. Then it gives instructions to install the driver and plug in the 3G modeule in the USB port, etc....

BTW, screen resolution is 1024 wide by 600 tall....another wo wo!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 6:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Another thing...to change out the battery, you are required to remove the bottom of the case. Here are a couple pics of the bottom shell removed. In the first you can see the standard 1800mAh LION battery, identical to the smaller 7" machines. The other picture shows a close-up of the motherboard. CPU=WM8505.

BTW, I also tried pushing, pushing and holding, both with and without battery connected to see if I could effect a hard reset....nope, nothing. As this uses non-volitile ram, I expected as much.

Point is you would have to be very careful what you installed. If you lock up the device trying to do some drastic thing, there might not be any way to recover from it. I'm not worried about standard WinCE programs...but who knows.

Other trivia: Boot time from first displaying Windows logo to the end of the Windows boot-up music: 22 seconds +/- 2 sec.

(insides.jpg)

(motherboard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments insides.jpg (101KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments motherboard.jpg (213KB - 12 downloads)
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 8:06 PM
#
Looks very slick. Only thing that turns me off from getting one is the slow 300mhz cpu and 128 meg ram. I'll stick with my blazing fast tinybook for now.
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 9:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Another question.

Do you intend to use a usb printer, if so what drivers (or limited printer options) do you expect to have? I currently print from IR port on my 720 to a portable printer. (cartridges for it are becoming very scarce nowadays)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 10:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmmm, going to have to try a few USB printers and see what happens if anything.

RTFM, 300mHz does seem slow in numbers, but so far the throughput seems to surpass my CE5 7" netbook...at least it seems to be pretty good so far. Of course nothing is going to keep up with my T706.

For everyone else...received a reply from Softmaker...here it is:

Rich:

They are pirating the software. If you can point me to these devices, or web
sites, or even U.S. importers, I'd be immensely grateful. We need to stop
this.

Legal versions of our software have a sticker with either a serial number or
an unlock code at the bottom of the device.

Best regards,

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-07-14 1:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

RTFM - 2010-07-13 12:06 PM

Looks very slick. Only thing that turns me off from getting one is the slow 300mhz cpu and 128 meg ram. I'll stick with my blazing fast tinybook for now.

I was thinking about that too. I saw one before that was listed as running the same WM8505 processor at 533 MHz, but we already know how misleading the numbers in the listings can be. I may get one one anyway, especially given that the Huawei USB 3G dongle reportedly works with it (and I've also seen claims online that a couple of Planex USB Bluetooth dongles are working with the BlueSoleil driver on some of these netbooks).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-18 8:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Printing from these things: So far I have not been successful printing to a USB printer using a USB port...mainly because the software I've been using doesn't seem to recognize any USB ports on the device. MP900C was much more flexible in this area...

However, using the Westtek Jetcet printer drivers, v4.0, I am able to print to a network printer without any difficulty, but only using the Microsoft Wordpad program. That and the Microsoft Imageviewer programs are the only two that seem to work with the Jetcet software, and I am unable to print any graphics at all, only text.

So will these things ever be able to print...only very limited text only I'm afraid. However, with that said, if you were a student and were just typing a term paper, and needed to whip it out and print it fast...then you wouldn't be too disappointed in the limited capability. This pic shows a print using the Wordpad with an over-length text file with wordwrap enabled.

(printjob.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments printjob.jpg (51KB - 5 downloads)
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-18 11:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Any luck printing web pages? or is that a two step process by copying to wordpad to print stuff.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2010-07-19 4:58 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Congratulations for your new purchase, Rich, it looks nice, enjoy it! How long is the battery lasting?
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2010-07-19 11:32 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

How it preforms playing video files?
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 15