x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My CE6 10.2" Netbook

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-07-31 1:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Err, sounds like mission creep for some poor device as well as, umm, toy acquisition syndrome (and trust me, I'm not being self-righteous since I can't throw that rock in this ol' glass house of mine).

But this "home phone number" justification is malarky unless you are planning on dropping your cell service in addition to your landline. Any company (and I haven't heard that its a significant problem amongst the friends that are now cell-only) that doesn't like cell numbers isn't going to like your Skype number either. Skype (or even widget-dependent services like magicJack) are certainly much cheaper than cell service and landline service. But if you are going portable on them, they are very vulnerable to the vagaries of wifi service and most proponents don't include the cost of high-bandwidth internet (granted perhaps for them, it's free or trivial, but that's not my world). VoIP has been "around" since the 1970's and commonly used in academic circles in the late 1980's and early 1990's (NSFNET for me) but I don't know that I'd subscribe to the theory that Ma Bell somehow squashed its development. The deployment issues were tied into infrastructure and hardware requirements.

But, since this appears to a mission critical application for your future netbook, in the vein of an earlier message, so how many months of landline service is going to make up for the difference between the cost of this chinese netbook ($130 or so) and a last-generation x86 netbook ($150-$200 used) or new x86 netbook ($250-$350 new at the local bigbox stores)?

In a previous thread, you mentioned security. It sounded like some of the CE netbooks had decent security on the SSD ... at the moment it looks like if you forget the password, the only user-recourse is to wipe the unit (very unlike most other conventional consumer systems) or return it to the manufacturer for a reset. In that sense, the typical thief isn't going to bother, but who knows? It seems to me that the security is analgous to a very good front door lock which currently few know how to circumvent. But the data itself isn't encrypted as a matter of course... and now we've wandered into unconventional user land....

Jacobi - 2010-07-31 1:17 AM

Well here is why I need to get a WinCE6 netbook,
it's too difficult to install Skype on the Psion and I don't think it would work on it.
Skype is primarily a software phone.
Once you have installed Skype software on your PC/laptop,
you only need plain-vanilla internet for phone connectivity,
(with your laptop connected to your home router, or to a wifi hotspot, etc.),
For hardware, you need a computer (PC, later HPC, etc.),
with headphone and mic jacks, and a headset, that's all.
You can also install it to and run it from a USB flashdrive, SD card, etc.,
so you can see it's extremely portable!

If you buy a phone # and 1 year' SkypeOut service, total about $60,
with that you can use your # as your home phone, but without the tie up:
instead, you can receive phone calls to your # from anywhere you are in the world,
and make phone calls as well from anywhere in the world, on anyone's PC etc...
In the US and Canada phone calls are free 24/7.
The only limitation is that you have to be online, to receive calls.
(Though you can pay extra for a feature that will push calls to your cell phone).

I'm looking forward to have a CE6 netbook that I won't mind to leave on and keep online,
so I won't wear out my laptop just for a phone.

Besides voice phone calls, Skype also has lots of other addons: SMS, chat, video conferencing, etc.,
though the connectivity there is more like the P2P type I believe, so personally I don't use them.
Btw so far as announced by Skype, voice phone call are sent encrypted.

As I mentioned in my Skype on Netbooks thread,
"Using Skype to make voice calls to landlines on WinCE6 netbooks"
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=49
for me Skype has totally replaced my old landline.

Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-31 9:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hmascience - 2010-07-31 8:57 AM

But, since this appears to a mission critical application for your future netbook,

A very mportant use for it, but surely not the only one.
I'm longing to get a (non-XP) 10" netbook with 1024 pix wide screen,
so I can look at most fixed-width sites without having to scroll right and left to read every line of text.

Regarding other topics you answered on..
Well we all have different ideas, that'what makes a forum what it is, and makes it interesting.
Your discussion is of general interest for all netbooks using Skype,
so I'll answer it soon at the main thread on Skype, quoted below.

Just for now though, here is my math for Skype costs,
compared to the average landline phone service:
Costs ***just for local calls***:
Skype= $60/year
Landlines= $360/year for very basic services

for long-distance and international calls, huge savings;
.. this and further details and other discussions forthcoming in thread quoted below.

The huge money-saving advantage in using Skype, plus its portability,
is what I thought made the main thread interesting,
especially if people remember that to start with,
most Chinese netbooks come with Skype, and,
Skype accounts can be purchased almost worldwide
!
So it seems worthwhile to get into the technical aspects of its use on (non-XP) netbooks...

This feature combination can help lots of people...
so I hope the main Skype thread will develop with contribustions from members worldwide...
Thanks!

Skype on netbooks main thread:
"Using Skype to make voice calls to landlines on WinCE6 netbooks"
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=49

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-01 12:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If Skype is only $5/month, then it might be a worthwhile expense...but it will never replace a cellphone. I mean I couldn't use while driving down the interstate, and I'd hate to have to wait to make a wifi link for a 911 call.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-01 2:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-31 7:49 PM

Skype ... will never replace a cellphone.

Couldn't agree with you more!
In fact, Skype takes effort to warn people it cannot be used for 911 calls.
I've only talked about using it to replace a landline phone, ...NOT a cell phone.
Now, if you have a limited cell plan, and you have a very long phone call to make,
like, to a very busy 800#,
then if you're home and near your monthly limit,
you might want to make that call using Skype instead of a cell phone.
And...the sound quality on Skype is far superior, to that on a cell phone.
(You do get more dropped calls, but IMO it's far outweighed by the other advantages).

Edited by Jacobi 2010-08-01 2:17 AM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-08-02 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Has anyone tried a (magic jack) on one of the CE machines?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-08-02 1:45 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Never mind... I see that it is almost impossible...
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-04 5:07 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-31 7:49 PM

If Skype is only $5/month, then it might be a worthwhile expense... .

As much as I have celerated the advantages of Skype,
right now I have a special security concern I need to fully clarify,
regarding using Skype on Chinese netbooks, please see it here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15340&posts=4#M140325
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-04 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Not to continue this hijacking of the thread, you know, with all due respect, it sounds like some folks are learning the TANSTAAFL principle. And, yeah, just because somebody is paranoid, it doesn't mean nobody is out to get him. If one is that concerned about security, I'm not sure that a "free" program (to download or pre-installed) is the right way to start (much less running it on a platform coming from a industry in a country notorious for its lack of regard for intellectual property rights or personal privacy).

The beauty (or allure) of Skype is that it is a communications package easily deployed to the masses. It is amongst the latest is a long line of companies that is trying to make money from a customer base drawn from people that don't want to pay much (if at all). Maybe they'll succeed, maybe they won't.

Again, sorta back to the original topic -- I think this a wonderful piece of hardware for its performance envelope. But I define that performance envelope about the same as the Psion Netbook... great local word processor, light spreadsheet work, personal music, small (low res) movies. My unsubstantiated prediction is that the Psion's lifecycle will prove to be longer these chinese netbooks (but their initial cost is something below 1/5 the Psion cost, so perhaps they are the ultimate disposable laptop... for a 1 year lifespan, the amortized cost is a few fastfood sandwiches a month...). But, IM(NS)HO, the Internet-based functions are limited and all the wishful thinking and pre-installed software's claims aren't going to change the fact that its a sub-400 MHz machine that is going to struggle unless you are willing to subscribe (financially and operationally) to the thin-client model (or some variation on it) or wait until the nature of the Internet changes.

Rich's statement that he finds the 10" screen much more readable carries alot of weight to me and if its 1024 px wide, even better (although for me the key spec here is that it is 600 high!).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-04 3:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I had to look up what TANSTAAFL meant...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-09 11:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I already mentioned that these things come with pirated versions of Softmaker Office. But since it is easy to reflash the rom, it is also easy to remove those illegal copies of software.

In the pictures below, the first one shows the default Textmaker that came with the machine. Notice how someone installed it not compensating for the idiosyncracies of Windows CE versus Windows Mobile. Anyway as you can see, the menus are at the bottom, and not all that easy to access. I then deleted the software from my rom image and inserted my own legal copy of Textmaker for HPCs. Now I have the menu structure/layout that I have come to love and accept.

(pirate.jpg)

(nonpirate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pirate.jpg (39KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments nonpirate.jpg (32KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-09 2:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Has someone reported it to SoftMaker? The OEM should be identifiable assuming that the ROM wasn't cooked in the first place.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-09 3:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It was reported...they are well aware of it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-09 4:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Good'o
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-11 6:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

BTW, you can install your Textmaker 2002 to a memory card and then put it in the netbook to run it. But for me, while the program opened and worked fine using the key-commands, it didn't respond to the various tabs using the mouse.

However, using Softmaker Office 2006 resolved all the issues, and this one works fine.

For those of you not using Softmaker, the newer verson 2010 is out as a trial download, and one feature I wish I had in my 2006 was the ability to open Docx files, which the 2010 version does very nicely.
 Top of the page
dredagsp Page Icon Posted 2010-08-15 4:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I also just purchsed one of these a couple of days ago on ebay, and almost cant wait to get my hands on it. Moreless, I just want to see its possibilities. Does anyone know if you can use a subscription usb modem with the device.

Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 30