x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-08-17 6:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

dredagsp - 2010-08-14 11:07 PM

I also just purchsed one of these a couple of days ago on ebay, and almost cant wait to get my hands on it. Moreless, I just want to see its possibilities. Does anyone know if you can use a subscription usb modem with the device.

Only if the modem has a Windows CE driver, which I suspect few if any do...
 Top of the page
dredagsp Page Icon Posted 2010-08-17 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Dana. I haven't gotten it yet, hopefully its here today. I strongly doubt that there will be any drivers for it. Guess I'll just have to find hotspots, despite that, I'm still ready to see what the hype, (positive and negative) is all about.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-18 10:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The hype Dredagsp is that they are amazingly cheap for something as powerful as they are. Most of us old time HPC'ers can remember spending hundreds, if not near thousands for devices that did little in comparison only a decade ago....

What I like is the ability to flash the rom and set up the computer customized with my own applications. On my netbook I'm running Softmaker Office 2006, replaced the solitaire with KSE Backgammon which plays full 10" screen, Pocket Onschedule 6 for my PIMS, etc.

I can't be affected by viruses, I can soft reset the device and not lose any data and be back to my custom install, and if it gets broke...so be it...no major catastrophe.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-18 8:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Love playing checkers now and then to pass the time away. Omega Ones Checker's for HPCs plays full screen on this netbook. Nice. Also using CaptCE for the screen grab...that works too.

(Checkers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Checkers.jpg (27KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
dredagsp Page Icon Posted 2010-08-18 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Rich....I have been reading reviews and all over this site just to get a feel of whats to come. And yes, I know, the cost of devices like this used to be astrnomically priced, well, I suppose not if it was something that is wanted, but still a pocket breaker, or temporary hurter, as you have something to show for your money spent, while that technology is still "new". I've never sued the embedded windows, but am ready to experience it....My only current dilemma is, I still havent received it yet. Seems like you got yours pretty swiftly...I think your original post of the ebay link was the one that sold for about $10 more than the one I got...same netbook though.....Im just patiently waiting...

QQ? Have you tried www.Pandora.com, I just love that internet radio...

Thanks Again!
 Top of the page
dredagsp Page Icon Posted 2010-08-18 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

dredagsp - 2010-08-19 4:27 PM

I've never sued the embedded windows, but am ready to experience it....

Lol... Dont wanna sue Windows Embedded...

Top of the page
dredagsp Page Icon Posted 2010-08-20 5:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just thought I'd share an example (and my frustration) of the poor customer service of one of the ebay sellers selling the 10.2 inch netbooks......Long story short, Its been 10 days and they havent even shipped the darn thing =0( .....My pet peeve is poor customer service....

***EMAIL String, you may want to read from the bottom up***

Thanks Zheng,

This is my issue. I ordered from your Ebay store because according to your shipping details (copied from your posting below)...the package would ship in within 48 hours of payment being cleared. Every transaction I do on Ebay gets immediate payment, so I know it clears SAME DAY. I honestly dont think that it is fair that you request I pay extra for express shipping when I was under the impression that my item would be shipped within 48 hours, and not to mention, your post stated that there were more than 20 available at the time I purchased, but you told me yesterday "We are grasping this time to produce the cargo, the delivery time may be postponed to 2-3 days." Thats 8 days after you've received payment, and I had to contact you to get that information. I ask that you PLEASE express the item to me since I need it by that date (8/28/2010), I paid you immediately, and your shipping details are misleading. It would be a great gesture of Good Customer Service. "How do you feel about that?"

We will ship the package within 48 hours(exclude weekend holidays) after the payment cleared.
Our choice shipping way: Hong Kong/Singapore Air Mail.

If you need to change your address, please change it in Ebay and PayPal receive address first BEFORE you pay. Please provide your correct detailed address and full name in Ebay and PayPal receive address.

If you are not satisfied with the product or service ,please contact us and don't give us negative or natural feedback,We must give you a satisfactory solution.

Shiping time 10-25 days usually, to Brazil, Russian it may take 50days

Regards,

Andre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To:
Sent: Thu, August 19, 2010 10:27:12 PM
Subject: Re: Thank you for your payment!

Dear buyer
thanks for your email
If you want to use post office,In normal conditions, it takes around 10-25 days from Hong Kong
Also,if you use the express,it usually takes a week to you
We suggest you use express,how do you feel about that?
Look forward to your reply
regards

2010/8/19 Andre'

I would like to receive the item. Do you think it can arrive by or before 8/28/2010?

Thanks,
Andre'
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:02:57 +0800
To:

Dear buyer
I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you
We are grasping this time to produce the cargo, the delivery time may be postponed to 2-3 days. please forgive us if cause the inconvenient for you.
If you want to express,would you mind paying more $20 usd?
Do you still want to the item? We can refund you if you can't wait
Please let us know what you wish us to do with it
regards

2010/8/19 Andre'

I was looking forward to having it by or before 8/23, any way I could get express shipping for the inconvenience? It has now been 8 days and you are asking that I wait 4 more for the tracking #.

Let me know

Thanks,
Andre'
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:25:20 +0800
To:

Dear buyer
Thanks for your email
Sorry,due to this item was out of store at that time
Kindly contact us 4 days later,we will must provide the tracking number for you
Appreciate for your understanding
regards

2010/8/19 Andre'

Good day Zheng,

Would you be able to provide the tracking # at this time?

Edited by dredagsp 2010-08-20 5:22 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-20 10:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Any time I order from Hong Kong or that area, I figure 30 days at least before I see the stuff....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-20 11:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, I actually was surprised once to get an item delivered in about three weeks. It's a long journey for mail from that part of the world to this part of the world. (And I'm not a particularly patient person - I'm the kind who stands on front of a microwave oven and yells, "Hurry up!" ) But I think the issue here is the fact that the item was not even sent out for 10 days, despite promises to send it out in 48 hours, and the seller is unwilling to make up the lost time by absorbing the cost of a faster delivery service.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-20 11:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Andre, at least you got someone who could at least write in English. Last time I had dealings with someone over there I felt like I was trying to validate my copy of Office XP with someone in India...no matter how simple I worded it, they didn't get what I was saying....

Outsourcing...one cause of the decline in America....
 Top of the page
dredagsp Page Icon Posted 2010-08-21 2:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2010-08-21 5:03 AM

(And I'm not a particularly patient person - I'm the kind who stands on front of a microwave oven and yells, "Hurry up!" ) But I think the issue here is the fact that the item was not even sent out for 10 days, despite promises to send it out in 48 hours, and the seller is unwilling to make up the lost time by absorbing the cost of a faster delivery service.

Sounds like the man in the mirror (me)....Yea, that was my only issue, why not absorb that cost. We're generic netbook crazy out here, and all the money is going out there....

Rich Hawley - 2010-08-21 5:24 AM

Outsourcing...one cause of the decline in America....

I totally agree...

I also just ordered a touchscreen Dell 2100... Specs Below

10.1" Touchscreen (1024x600 resolution)
Atom N270 1.6 Ghz processor
2GB RAM
75GB hard-drive
1.3mp (I think) Webcam

Multi-format media reader
3 USB and one VGA video output
WiFi (802.11B/G)
10/100/1000 networking
Windows XP Home Edition (recovery disc and drivers included)
Power supply, cable and 3-cell battery

This took the cake-warranty is still good....
Dell basic warranty in effect until 10/27/2010

All for $197.51

I'll let you guys know how that goes....
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-24 11:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

to: Rich
Could you see and tell what the battery life is on your 10" netbook,
1)__ if you use it continuously
2)__if you use it in touch'n go fashion 2-3 times per hour, closing the lid in between?

And, is the battery replaceable, or soldered in? (It's probably going to last 2-3 years?)
Could it be replaced using one with more capacity?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-25 4:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Closing the lid does not turn it off. so the power savings is minimal. Closing the lid only turns off the lcd backlight. Using it continously, I get about an hour and a half use with wifi on, which is how I normally use it. The battery is user replaceable, but I have to unscrew the bottom cover to replace it. It is held into place with 2 screws and has a cable that plugs into a connector. It is the same battery as you see for sale in the little 7" units. Probably you could get one with a little more capacity if you could find one....but I sure can't.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-26 5:33 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

that's not much time on the battery, I guess it does not make this 10in notebook a truly portable device to take around...
How is the battery life on the Tinybook T706?

Also, I understand you got/developed a ROM image for this netbook, what apps does it have?
__SpreadCE?
__Skype?
__please list other apps that are embedded in the new ROM image?

and to compare,
are SpreadCE and Skype part of the image on your Tinybook?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-26 6:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Tinybook runs much faster, eats up more juice...still it gets better time, but not by much. Maybe my battery is weak, but I only get about 2 hours on it.

The rom image is pure Windows CE 6.0, buiild 3122. Nothing outside the standard CE applications. I stripped out all the SpreadCE, Skype, Softmaker, etc...they were all pirated copies and didn't belong in the image.

On my Tinybook, I have Softmaker Office...a full-complete legitimate one with serial number.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12