x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

True suspend/instant-on may be on the way back

[Frozen]
Frozen
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 3:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/c/a/News/Direct-Insight-SwiftModul...

Finally, we may truly be returning to the H/PC form factor.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 9:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The worrying thing is that there will be people for whom this is a scary new thing in CE; ancient as we are.
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 3:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Modern (Ubuntu, Windows 7) operating systems seem to have near-instant suspend and resume, even on older hardware. It only makes sense that CE needs to regain this capability if it will be able to compete.
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2010-09-17 12:49 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Really? Windows 7? I wouldn't call it that instant. Then again, I'm running it on a 2004 laptop with 256mb of ram and a hard drive that is in desperate need of a cleaning. Hardware wise, how old are we talking?
syzygy Page Icon Posted 2010-09-17 11:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Must confess I've never managed to get anything like a near-instant resume from suspend from any Linux installation either on my old PC or a newer netbook. Closest was about 15 secs for a tuned variant of Linpus Linux on an Acer 110.

Not tried the latest Ubuntu though so might give this a whirl as suggested. Anyone else have experience of this?

ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-09-17 6:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The only new devices that I know that have true suspend and instant-on are cell phones and the iPad. Ok, sorry guys, I really got converted to the "apple" side of the force...
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2010-09-17 10:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It has to be a recent Ubuntu, 10.04 or later. I have tried it on a Dell Inspiron 1150 (about 5 years old) and suspend/resume is absolutely instant. As soon as I press the button to resume, I see the screen and can move the mouse.

As for a more recent and portable machine... I tried Ubuntu on a ThinkPad X60 and had the same results (instant resume). Windows 7 also resumed instantly (well, within 1 second) on that machine. ThinkPads like that are about $300 used, about what we used to pay for a MobilePro 900C.
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2011-05-12 9:27 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The new Chromebooks will have instant on, the only limiting factor being that most of the apps will have to be web based. Given the relative power of HTML5 though, this may not be too bad a concession.

http://www.google.com/chromebook/#features
joval Page Icon Posted 2011-05-14 7:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Barnes and Nobles Nook Color has instant on/resume...very low power consumption in the stock rom which has been upgraded to Froyo...it is superior to anything Apple in that it will run FLASH, has a micro sd card, bootable at that, a nine hour battery life, the same anti-reflective capacitance touch screen as the Ipad only a more mobile 7" 1024 x600 size. There is now an app store for B&N...but very small and they are charging for many apps free on android market. Stock ROM is incredibly easy to root which renders the Nook Color in to a full featured android tablet, less a camera and a microphone, and able to access the entire gamit of android market apps...many of which are free...including youtube which runs in hi res. Once rooted the rom is extremely configurable for overclocking from stock 800 to 1100 Mhz, or if you prefer you can boot from the sd card and still retain your original stock ROM. CyanogenMod7 rom zips are easily downloaded and updated...although in suspend mode do seem to consume more power. CM7 even managed to get the "hidden" bluetooth functioning...so a keyboard or microphone can be used...modified wifi driver allows you to teather to your rooted cell phone's 3g so you can use it anywhere. Great for web browsing, downloads, angry birds, etc. All this for only $250! And you can spend hours and hours tinkering with its innards and not brick it...
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-05-14 10:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Same as my wife's Pandigital Novel....good suspend and resume, just like my old HPCs...
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 29