x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do I make a backup image of Unbranded 7" Netbook?

1 2
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 12:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

In another thread which I can't seem to find again. Rich Hawley said that he had removed the illegal software from his 7" netbook, ie. Softmaker Office etc.

How can I make a backup image of my no name 7" netbook (EZBOOK), and remove the unwanted stuff?

I have CE Builder 6 already, so I have the tools to edit the image, but I have never done this before so would like further advice before attempting anything.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 1:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I didn't do anything special. What I had was the rom flash image for my netbook and all I did was remove those programs from the file. Nothing special. Then when I flashed my netbook, I had a clean install with pure CE without all the pirate crap.

I didn't edit the .nbo files at all, they were not corrupted with the pirate software.
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 4:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

But how do I get at the rom flash image "seen from outside" of WinCE?

I know how to remove files from a binary image which is very straightforward when using your own build environment, using pre-canned OS designs.

It's just that I have no idea what an .nbo file is, or how I'm able to dump the image to an external card for editing. In CE6 builder, I've only messed about with the emulator and associated files in the build folder. No experience with actual hardware. (until now)

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 5:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ahhh....well, we are talking two completely different things here.

For my Chinese 10.2" netbook, everything is copied onto the NAND drive. That is the bootloader, and then the image that contains the kernal and OS. At least that is how I understand it. When I power on the device, it then boots up and read image file and loads the image...I think. I'm not sure about all this XIP stuff and how it works...but here is what I do know:

To flash my device, I stick in an SD card. That SD card has a folder at the root level named "script." Within the script folder are the contents as you see in the first image below.

In the "system disk" folder are all the files just as you would find them on the HPC, shown below in the second image. This is where you can add programs to, or remove pirated stuff from.

When you turn on the netbook, it looks for the script folder on an SD card in the slot. If it isn't there, then the netbook boots like normal. If it is there, then it copies the files from the SD card to the NAND disk and then executes the safe_nk.nbo XIP file. The safe file simply loads a very limited version of CE that then copies the contents from the SD system disk folder onto device, thus updating everything in the process. After a few seconds, you are prompted to remove the SD card and reboot.

Now this is pretty much the standard for the WM8500/8505 and VT8500/8505 netbooks. The images for flashing are found on numerous websites, and the one for my Wabook Sky is actually found right here on HPCFactor.

I may have given some erroneous info here, but hopefully someone who knows more about the technicalities of how this stuff works can correct me.

(script.jpg)

(systemdisk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments script.jpg (19KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments systemdisk.jpg (20KB - 9 downloads)
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 6:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks Rich.

I'll have to do some more reading of the developer docs on all things CE6.

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't even work. So the only way to recover from a bad app is a reset. (this could be problematic with rogue websites)
The wirless sensitivity really sucks. (and also sucks the life out of the battery too.)

Q. Do you know of a key sequence to enter pre-boot menu on these things?

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-09-04 6:07 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 6:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

On some of them, the AK7802 cpu type I think you hit the F1 key and then are prompted for a password, something like ZTK

But the point is there is no standard, except by cpu type. The Augens are not flashable except by special hardware. The Chmbooks require grounding contact points on the motherboards, and as I have discovered, my Tinybook requires holding down the right mouse button on the touchpad and having an SD card in place simultaneously on booting.

Seems each device has CE installed on it in a unique proprietory way....

From what I just read at ezbookpc.com, it seems your's is the WM8505 as well, so it should work the same as mine.
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-04 10:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks. I'll have a go and report back with some answers.
 Top of the page
otoluk Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 12:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think there are no anyka 7" with WinCE6. Neverless you can dump ROM using grabit_armv4.exe and then try
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 2:41 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Maybe, but that's what the device is stating in the system info panel. And it is CE6.

http://optic-link.en.alibaba.com/product/301438432-209863846/MID.html
Mine is the second one on the page, OP 0702

It can't be just a coincidence that they also have the same software loaded, and the same attitude to software piracy.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-09-05 3:04 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 8:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Both of those are listed as having the Via VT8505 processor. Are you saying the Control Panel on your device identifies the processor differently from this?
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 11:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2010-09-05 8:05 AM

Both of those are listed as having the Via VT8505 processor. Are you saying the Control Panel on your device identifies the processor differently from this?

I'll recheck the device. The string is quite long and difficult to remember completely. At least, I can remember it until I get distracted.
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 1:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

@Rich Hawley

I don't know how I missed it. The info for creating a backup is at the back of the user guide. DOH!

Now downloading the backup image file. Woo-hoo!

@CE Geek
Apologies if I have caused any confusion.

The previous example given in the link is similar to the one I bought. Here's the ebay listing of the person I bought from...

Ebay (UK) itemID: 280525924215

VIA 8500

My device states that it is
CE6 Build 3122.

System info reads:
ANYKA, BSP04700-Nboot05306

Top of the page
gedi
gedi Page Icon Posted 2010-10-12 7:23 PM
#
how do you make the back up if i dont have the user guide m8 could you copy and past it here ?
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-10-12 11:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The ezbook instructions state that you will require storage card (preferably sd card >= 256MB) and then visit the following url:
http://ezbookpc.com/recoverydisc

If this is not exactly the same (hardware wise) as your machine, you might end up bricking your device.

once downloaded.

the extracted file creates a folder named "Netbook", inside this folder is another named "script" which should be copied to the root of your sd card

once copied to SD card, insert SD card into netbook, and power it up.

the backup restores your device from the image contained on the sd card.

Note: It doesn't backup what already exists in your machine's flash area(s).

hope that helps.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-10-12 11:25 PM
 Top of the page
pnoy Page Icon Posted 2010-11-05 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi technogeist2k9,

Just got some question, is the backup from ezbookpc has the latest version of Win CE 6.0? Coz right now my ezbook has Win CE 6.0 build 3122 and upon checking on the product info features on the website, it doesnt have programs like skype, youtube etc. which is currently installed on my ezbook

Thanks
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12