x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What's the best Linux for a Z50?

[Frozen]
Frozen
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2010-11-07 6:05 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have an IBM WorkPad Z50 Moble Companion that I'm thinking about playing with Linux on. What's the best version? I want one that's already been developed for the Z50, has some multimedia and lots of home and office type applications, and is fast. I understand it won't be like installing Windows.

BTW, will Linux work with a CF over 8 gig? I've seen them up to 128 gig on eBay and need to know what not to buy.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-11-07 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Did you see BSD? http://www.tux.org/~bball/z50/ for a user perspective. I don't know if it's "fast" -- you're talking about hardware that clipping along at 133 MHz, right... ;-)
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-11-07 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

hmascience - 2010-11-07 3:26 PM

Did you see BSD? http://www.tux.org/~bball/z50/ for a user perspective. I don't know if it's "fast" -- you're talking about hardware that clipping along at 133 MHz, right... ;-)

That link is pretty outdated. You're probably safe with just doing a regular install from the NetBSD/hpcmips page here: http://www.netbsd.org/ports/hpcmips/
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2010-11-08 12:27 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

By fast, I mean comparable to Windows 95, NT4 or OS2 4.0 on a similar speed pentium with about the same amount of RAM. Windows 98 on comparable hardware would be too slow, but just barely, and the VR4121 is 141 Mhz, and 64 bit, so comparing the Z50 to a 133Mhz pentium is almost inaccurate. A linux no more bloated than 98, if as much, would be about right.

I've heard of NetBSD before so I'll go look.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-11-08 4:17 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

@mscdex: long time no see (or at least we haven't crossed paths in awhile).

Did I miss the notice where you shut down the hpc software repository? I haven't looked lately, but a few months ago, it had disappeared :-( (although I had gotten the impression that the traffic was pretty low).
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2010-11-10 6:44 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Are there any others besides NetBSD? on that site, the author mentions using Linux, but doesn't say what kind, or post any links. I want to know what's available before going through the slight hassle of seting up another OS.

(I'm already beating OS/2 into submission on my notebook, and it's already planning to fight back when I install Windows 98. I haven't told it I'm also going to install XP - That will be 98's problem, and they get along fine, but have enough of their own problems. Then I'll put Fedora 1 on it, and have a total war. And when I'm done setting up the notebook, there's the subnotebook. So please, show me all the options now so I don't have to reformat the CF and go through all this *again*!)
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-22 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well, Haiku is being developed for ARM, although it is not currently particularly clear what devices it will support. The desktop x86 Alpha 2 currently requires 400MHz and 128MB to run at all so could be expecting even greater things to come from the ArM port...
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-05-07 2:35 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hey bookworm, i don't know how far along you've gotten with this but i found the following video that should help take the guess work out of getting netbsd installed on your z50. i'm a total noob to this stuff so this may be redundant for you but then again it might help since I've found netbsd's info hard to understand it's 5 parts, here is part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lCj20_Xo4 check out the guys channel for the rest. hope it helps and let us know how it turns out.

Edited by jorel101 2011-05-07 2:36 AM
 Top of the page
kanita Page Icon Posted 2014-12-16 9:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

nicely done. i noticed that there was some lag when you used abiword, (this question is open to anyone who can answer) given that it is a 720, would maybe installing on a 728 take care of some of that lag or do you think that's a CPU bottleneck we're seeing there?

Edited by kanita 2014-12-16 9:58 AM
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.172 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11