x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How to Install Linux on a 128MB CE.NET 4.2 Psion NetBook Pro

1 2
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2012-01-22 7:51 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

@ Psinix:
Somehow I stopped getting email notices of forum updates for this thread,
I'll check my notification settings to see if there is a problem there.
I came back to this thread by chance today.
Just wanted to thank you for all you have contributed,
the replies are exciting and I'll get to study them tomorrow.
Thanks!
 Top of the page
psinix Page Icon Posted 2012-01-22 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Np have fun, the images from 20.01. should give a nice overview of what's working atm (and what's not )

For people digging into oe:
there is a big showstopper for starting with oe now, the opkg-utils recipe fails and this package is essential for building a rootfs, even with rpm packaging configured on target.
To get out of this hell:
get
ftp://opensource.axon.tv/mirror/opkg-utils_svn.openmoko.org_.trunk.src.host._4747_.tar.gz
put it in downloads/ directory, and put
md5sum opkg-utils_svn.openmoko.org_.trunk.src.host._4747_.tar.gz > opkg-utils_svn.openmoko.org_.trunk.src.host._4747_.tar.gz.md5
next to it, then
touch opkg-utils_svn.openmoko.org_.trunk.src.host._4747_.tar.gz.done
also in downloads/ dir.

of course this is only a problem if opkg-utils wasn't downloaded before.

download missing packages (they will come up dooring image build) from:
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.kernel.org/pub/

Edited by psinix 2012-01-22 2:38 PM
 Top of the page
psinix Page Icon Posted 2012-02-06 10:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Look out for some serious action here:
http://jlime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2775&start=195

Apparently an 'official' jlime image + kernel will be put up for download shortly
 Top of the page
Keyboardinator Page Icon Posted 2012-06-23 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Judging from this:
http://jlime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2775&sid=53ef9aa8764a9b3...
Jlime does work on NBP, but it only as an OS much inferior to CE.net. One hour battery life offline was OK for a Pentium notebook some years ago, but it is certainly unacceptable for a handheld.
 Top of the page
entozoon Page Icon Posted 2012-07-18 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've seen that tworaz has recently uploaded a linux kernel for the NBP:
https://github.com/tworaz/linux

As cheeky as it is, I was wondering if someone could perhaps compile it into an img for me? I don't have a linux computer (or the computer skills) to do it myself

Michael
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2012-09-13 10:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

TOPIC # 1
It's great that new distros are in the works for the NBP.
In the meantime, I'm renewing my request for the basic original boot files that would allow one to use the original Psion OEM Linux distro. These will not have new bells and whistles, but they should allow one to use basic Linux from the start with all the drivers for the device already worked in. I'm sure there are many users with more advanced knowledge in Linux distro projects for the NPB, who started first with the original, OEM Psion Linux files... Please give a CURRENT link for these? Thanks!

TOPIC # 2
I got out of using my Psion a while back because after trying to reboot it into Linux (with I expect, were somewhat faulty boot files, hence, my quest to get the good ones), it would not reboot into Windows. Turns out, it was just very slow, it did boot back to CE eventually, but, now WordPad does not run.
I'm sorry this is out of context for this thread, though the problem did happen during the activities of this thread.
If anyone in this group knows how to restore the WordPad executable please let me know?
Please give a solution either here if it is very short, or, on this new thread:

WordPad stopped running - Psion NBP
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16836&po...

Top of the page
qubex Page Icon Posted 2015-05-05 10:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello.

I realise I am pathetically late to the party but I recently got my hands on a PSION NETBOOK PRO from 2001 or thereabouts. It quite happily runs Windows CE.net but that doesn’t really make me very happy.

I’m looking to install Linux on it for the sake of working my way through The Elements Of Computing Systems while on a hiatus, and that led me here. Yes that’s a fairly bizarre objective and yes one might equally and profitably do much the same on a Rasberry Pi or somesuch, but the integrated screen and keyboard combined with the lack of distractions is part of the appeal.

Unfortunately all the links seem to be dead. I was wondering if any of you still have the relevant images etc. available to forward to me.
 Top of the page
entozoon Page Icon Posted 2015-05-05 11:42 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wish I did! The link I posted a hundred years ago seems to work, although I never managed to compile it https://github.com/tworaz/linux
In the end I gave up, and the batteries don't seem to work anymore so it's a bust.
People aren't interested in netbook pros, which is a shame. It's all about Pis.
If only someone figured out how to build a Pi into the NBP, that'd be amazeballs.
 Top of the page
qubex Page Icon Posted 2015-05-05 7:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That’s rather sad.

Do you have any idea how one might go about finding these JLIME folks?

Ooh… http://jlime.com/wiki/downloads?s[]=psion&s[]=netbook&s[]=pro

Edited by qubex 2015-05-05 8:01 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-07-19 6:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Anyone using linux on a Netbook Pro these days?

If so, how is it working?

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
AcidSnoop Page Icon Posted 2019-02-12 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Still a few years have passed but i've crawled out my old NBP and installed the PsionLX i had flying around. Somehow i still have found the PsionLX sources on one of my hard drives and i'm giving it a new try.
Is still anyone around having the NBP active? I'm currently trying to get a more up to date kernel running on it but have not been able to compile the old 2.4 and 2.6 PsionLX kernel to see if my cross-comiler is working for the old PXA255.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-02-12 7:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I can't find any reference to this. Do your sources still work? We could re-host them perhaps?
 Top of the page
AcidSnoop Page Icon Posted 2019-02-14 6:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think all uploads of this are gone.

I have reached out to the Zebra Technologies EMEA support team as they have aquired Psion Teklogix a few years ago but my requests to get permission for uploading the files or at least get a Person to Talk about this have been rejected.

They told me the NBP ist end of life and they have no further informations. So they closed the case.

I will try to reach out to the US devision of Zebra maybe they are more open to this request.

As long as i have no approval i can only provide the Boost Image and the filesystem of the last available build. As the sources itself contain many informations i would call confidential. (Developer names, comments, Roadmaps, a.s.o.)

As i have not been able to compile the kernel to produce a working Boost Image or to compile the system itself i cannot tell if the sources are fully working. At least i have the binary of the working boost Image and a userspace archive of the last available build. At least i think its the last build.

If you want more information about the sources please reach out to me.

I can Upload the Boost File and the PsionLX filesystem if anyone is interested.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-02-14 6:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If it's a case of getting it back into the public domain because they are no longer available, we have repository.hpcfactor.com for that and can offer to host anything you can share.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.297 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 14