x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-02-15 9:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

nitor - 2012-02-14 4:52 AM

Should be fine.

A swap partition is a type of virtual memory. There's very little ram on the 720, so Linux is going to move the lesser-used data here and do its best to keep the things you need in RAM. It cannot store files (technically). You can make it as large as you wish, but keep in mind that your compactflash card is significantly slower than RAM. So if you say, allot 500mB of space for swap, Linux is going to go "oh joy, I have 532mB of memory now!" and consume more of it. This could land you in a situation where a lot of software you're using is set aside in swap, and each time you try to access them, the machine is going to have to do a ton of shuffling between swap and ram, with the end result being extreme sluggishness (if not a stall for ten minutes or more).

The guide should tell you all else you need to know.

Thank you, nitor!!!
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-02-25 5:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi guys,

What is it please the latest good working kernel for JLime on Jornada 72x that has no suspend or sound problems? Thank you!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-25 12:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I use the 2.4.31 with Opie. It has sound, bluetooth, and proper suspend. This is a good thread:

http://jlime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2758&hilit=mongo+op...

Jake
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-02-25 8:53 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2014-02-25 7:09 AM

I use the 2.4.31 with Opie. It has sound, bluetooth, and proper suspend. This is a good thread:

http://jlime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2758&hilit=mongo+op...

Jake

Hi Jake, thank you for the hint and you fast reply.
I am amazed that there is no word on the JLime forum about that and the place to download the whole package from. Pretty complicated that thread with a lot of trials and errors and joggling with file exchanges between several distros packages. Probably I will deal with that during the week-end.

If coming to the wost, would you agree to upload your exact packages somewhere in a cloud that I can get to, please? Of course if no personal licence involved somewhere.

Thank you!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-25 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi, Arlex,

That's a ton (probably more than 1000) of files and lots of room for error. My advice is that if you want to do jlime and skip the "grunt" work, then pm me, I'll give you my USA address and you can send me several compact flash cards (1GB is best) and I'll put on whatever you want.

That is, if we trust the international mail to play nice...

Jake
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-02-26 5:35 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2014-02-25 4:54 PM

Hi, Arlex,

That's a ton (probably more than 1000) of files and lots of room for error. My advice is that if you want to do jlime and skip the "grunt" work, then pm me, I'll give you my USA address and you can send me several compact flash cards (1GB is best) and I'll put on whatever you want.

That is, if we trust the international mail to play nice...

Jake

Hi Jake, thank you for your tempting offer, I will take it if running out of options and the involved time is my only reserve on why not going ahead right now with it. Thank you again, I will look first for doing it myself or with other possible local resources.

Now coming back to the JLime-Mongo versions it is true that I know very little about Linux and this topic in particular. Yet one thing is bothering me: why displaying the Mongo v2.6.26 on the JLime site as the latest if this is not the full-working version and if there is an earlier one which is better, i.e. v2.6.24 (I don't know if even this is called still Mongo or Opie or something different). It is obvious that I have to read and dig more on this subject.

On the other hand, if there is another good working Linux distro (by "good" I mean having all normal features working), other than JLime, why not having it mentioned here on the HPC forum? Or maybe it is, but I haven't come yet accross that info....

On the JLime site there are words about flashing Linux on Jornada 720 ROM board. This means to me that there is the equipment ready for the job, some spare boards are available and the Linux software is also available.
If this is correct, how come that in so many years nobody managed to develop a flasher with Win CE4 on these boards? (again I have limited knowledge on this topic).

..... just a few thoughts that are bothering my logic.....
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-26 11:43 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The main problem with (I think) all the 2.6 kernels is that they have sound and suspend problems. Sound isn't too much of an issue; suspend is.

Try this:

http://jlime.com/wiki/downloads/7xx/extra

Then download "gpe released 2008-June-16"

This was wicknix/rtfm's contribution and it uses the 2.4.35 kernel, a good one. Wicked put in lots of good stuff and that will give you a relatively stable taste of linux on the j.

When you're feeling less intrepid, try:

http://www.lowlevel.cz/log/pivot/entry.php?id=41

This is Opie with a custom 2.4 kernel. I like Opie because it can run TextMaker and Portabase, apps I need. Wicked's GPE has better browsers, more apps, better repository.

This is a huge learning curve, so be patient with yourself. Be prepared to give up sex and all other forms of communication except google while immersed in the machinations of linux on a handheld It's complicated stuff, or at least it was complicated for me...

Jake

Edited by Jake 2014-02-26 11:44 AM
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-02-27 5:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2014-02-26 6:43 AM

The main problem with (I think) all the 2.6 kernels is that they have sound and suspend problems. Sound isn't too much of an issue; suspend is.

Try this:

http://jlime.com/wiki/downloads/7xx/extra

Then download "gpe released 2008-June-16"

This was wicknix/rtfm's contribution and it uses the 2.4.35 kernel, a good one. Wicked put in lots of good stuff and that will give you a relatively stable taste of linux on the j.

Thank you Jake!!! I will follow the paths you have pointed to most probably over the weekend to come.

Regarding the first link, kindly ask you for a few more details:

From the pointed page I have to download from the Userlands "Non-JLime and kernel 2.4 based" the third link "gpe released 2008-June-16" and from the top of the page the "jlinexec config file" and "jlinexec executable" which will work all right all 3 of them together, is this correct? If confirmed, than this is my way to follow next and hope to run fluently with my 2GB SanDisk CF card, right?

What about the second download link from Userlands based on ice "icewm development released 2008-May-01". have you tried that, is it working all right?

As most of the links of the second page you have pointed to do not work any more, I have some noob JLime-Linux terminology questions, if you don't mind:
If JLime based on kernel 2.6 is called Mongo, then what is the name of JLime based on kernel 2.4? Is it still Mongo? Or JLime doesn't exist with kernel 2.4 and it was developed only for the 2.6 kernel?
If I recall correctly the latest JLime Mongo with 2.6.26 kernel that I have tried to install is based on icewm, so if both based on icewm, then why one is it called JLime and the other one non-JLime?
Does icewm give a different interface and set of programs than gpe?

Thank you!

Edited by arlex 2014-02-27 6:01 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-27 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

icewm has more of a windows ce format, whereas gpe has more of a panel format--I think in one section of the jlime site, there are screenshots.

For gpe, don't worry about kernel choice. Wicknix packaged a 2.4 kernel in the download; once you've extracted the files, you'll see two directories, one for FAT16, which will hold the kernel, and ext2 directory which will hold the actual linux os.

My advice is to start with the gpe linux. Then move to jlime and icewm 2008-May-01, which I've used as well. But the kernel choices are larger and trickier.

The main thing is going to be setting up your cf card into two partitions. Get that in order, and the rest will be a process of OS and kernel elimination.

Jake

Edit: as for that second Opie site, the kernel download is still available. Make sure you get that.

Edited by Jake 2014-02-27 11:43 AM
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-02-28 5:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thank you again Jake!

Jake - 2014-02-27 6:40 AM
My advice is to start with the gpe linux.

I will do so.

The main thing is going to be setting up your cf card into two partitions. Get that in order, and the rest will be a process of OS and kernel elimination.

Have done that already on the previous weekend when loading JLime 2.26 which did not install completely showing that kernel panic error.

Edit: as for that second Opie site, the kernel download is still available. Make sure you get that.

Got it already, if you refer to that Modified Familiar 0.8.2 opie image <opie-image-jornada720-20050407154438-covex.rootfs.tar.bz2>. Thank you!

I've learned yesterday that opie means actually "Open Palmtop Integrated Environment" and it is a graphical user environment and suite of applications for PDAs running Linux and NOT a Linux flavout as I initially have thought, hence my earlier confusion.

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-28 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I misspoke, Arlex, about the number of partitions--obviously, you'll need a third partition, a swap. My guess is you already know that I don't know how many cf cards you have available, but more is better. One for gpe, one for jlime icewm, one for opie. If they're 1GB+, you can put the repositories right onto the card, rather than depend on repositories on-line that will soon disappear, especially Opie. This is a good how-to:

http://jlime.com/wiki/documentation/user/7xx/howtos/mongo_experienc...

Jake
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-03-02 6:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2014-02-28 7:08 AM

I misspoke, Arlex, about the number of partitions--obviously, you'll need a third partition, a swap. My guess is you already know that I don't know how many cf cards you have available, but more is better. One for gpe, one for jlime icewm, one for opie. If they're 1GB+, you can put the repositories right onto the card, rather than depend on repositories on-line that will soon disappear, especially Opie. This is a good how-to:

http://jlime.com/wiki/documentation/user/7xx/howtos/mongo_experienc...

Jake

Hi Jake,

Thank you again for all these usefull hints.

In the meantime I've managed to run JLime based on kernel 2.6.25 as the easiest paved way. I did not dare to start with kernel 2.4 on GPE or on the Familiar with Opie since I did not know exactly which bootloader and bootloader configuration file to use. Even so with JLime based on kernel 2.6.25 I had to combine information from 2 howtos since my knowledge in Linux commands is zero. I have used also some simple comands from the graphic UI, e.g. copy, move, but not unpack since I had a couple of failures in the past, including with v 2.26.26.

The machine is moving slow, even for displaying the Start Menu items and got completely frozen when I have launched the Minimo browser. I would say that it is slower than with Win CE even if no pcmcia boards added.
Since I had bigger expectations from running Linux on Jornada, I will think it over the next days on what to do next.

Thank you for your valuable support!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-03-02 9:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hmm, odd that minimo would freeze. In your config file in the kernel directory (the FAT16), make sure that your specs are for 32, rather than 64 (if you're running this w/ a J720 rather than J728).

Definitely try the GPE, because wicknix made it an easy set-up. If you got Mongo running, you'll get GPE up. DO check his jlime config file because I know that's set up for the J728. When you're in Linux, using gparted or some disk app for the compact flash, just reformat the EX2 and FAT16 directories and unzip/copy the two directories in Wicknix's GPE download. You could PROBABLY just delete the jlime files without reformatting.

Better yet, use a different compact flash card if available. The fact that you're booting to the jlime desktop is more than half the battle, so well done!

Jake
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-03-02 10:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2014-03-02 4:16 PM

Hmm, odd that minimo would freeze. In your config file in the kernel directory (the FAT16), make sure that your specs are for 32, rather than 64 (if you're running this w/ a J720 rather than J728).

Definitely try the GPE, because wicknix made it an easy set-up. If you got Mongo running, you'll get GPE up. DO check his jlime config file because I know that's set up for the J728. When you're in Linux, using gparted or some disk app for the compact flash, just reformat the EX2 and FAT16 directories and unzip/copy the two directories in Wicknix's GPE download. You could PROBABLY just delete the jlime files without reformatting.

Better yet, use a different compact flash card if available. The fact that you're booting to the jlime desktop is more than half the battle, so well done!

Jake

Thank you Jake for the good advice and the encouragement!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9