x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

jordan Page Icon Posted 2011-06-23 3:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing Jlime on my J720, but from what I have been reading the installation can be difficult. Is this correct?

Also, I've tried a number times to sign up to Jlime. The first time I registered, I did not get a conformation email so could not proceed, the second time (using a different address) I got a reply, but when I tried to log in it said that the password (provided by them) was not correct.
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-06-24 5:47 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've been fooling around with it on and off and haven't gotten to it to work yet because I've been playing with different distros and have been getting sidetracked with other projects so I haven't been "on it" but from what I've learned so far the install seems pretty easy. you need to create three partitions in your CF card one DOS partion to put jline.exe and the txt file that has your device info(you can get this from the jlime DL area). make sure your ram spec in that file is correct. (64 for 728) then you need your ext2 partition for the jlime files. I was able extract the files on my mac and then copy the over to a usb drive and put them there for me to copy over to the CF card later. Then you need to create your swap partition (twice the size of your ram)
To do all that grab a distro you like. I tried using both Puppy and ubuntu, the gpart program on puppy seemed a little iffy. it would create the DOS partition but not the ext2 or swap. Ubuntu worked out better for me. might have been a funky burn on the puppy cd, i'm not sure. once you boot into the distro via the live CD you'll have to find the partition program and this is where you'll partition your CF card. as mentioned earlier in puppy you can use gpart in ubuntu i forget what they include. so first thing you gotta do is wipe your CF then apply your change. then create your three partitions and apply those changes. plug in your USB stick with your extracted jlime files , jline.exe and params.txt and copy those to the right place. plug your cf into your jornada run jline.exe and it should work fine. oh and if you're not a GUI fan JLIME has install instructions that can be run from command line. all in all you should be able to finish the entire process including the live cd distro and burn in about an hour....oh and if you have a SANDISK CF card use that one. some of the other cards don't work, I don't know why but I do know SANDISK always work.
 Top of the page
jordan Page Icon Posted 2011-06-24 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, it seems very interesting, but you are using a few terms there that I am not familiar with, so I will need to do a bit of research on it.

Is it not possible to buy a CF card with the system already installed on it, a kind of plug and go?

Thanks
Dave
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-06-25 2:19 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

sorry I don't mean to use jargon you may not be familiar with. Please feel free to ask me to clarify anything that doesn't make sense. That's the whole reason the boards are here as far as buying a CF card with a prebuilt install. Yeah some guys here will from time to time offer that or you could try registering over at the JLime boards again and see if some one there is willing to do it. If I had already made a working CF card I'd offer it to ya but like I like I mentioned earlier I've been getting side tracked. besides shipping from this side of the pond might be too much anyway.
 Top of the page
jordan Page Icon Posted 2011-06-26 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I realise that the files need to be downloaded onto the partitioned CF card, but I did wonder about the formatting and partitioning process on the Jornada, presumably I would need to prepare the CF card using a card reader and Partition Magic that I have on my PC.
I’m not familiar with distro, Puppy and ubuntu.

Thanks
Dave
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-06-28 2:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
jorel101's overview is very good, and I must emphasize one of his points--gparted (a partition manager) on Puppy Linux is indeed problematic. And mysteriously so, making it seem that you have everything in order, but in reality, you don't.

jordan, were I you, I'd find a linux friend to do the partition work. I was already reasonably versed in linux, but I had a hard time with the setup. Or better yet, find someone who can sell the ready-made cf card. All my handhelds are in storage across the Atlantic Ocean, so I can't be of help in that matter.

The work that went into jlime is incredible, and the OS can do amazing things, but it's a big learning curve, or at least it was for me.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2011-06-28 3:00 PM
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-06-28 4:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

jordon, download the ubuntu live CD and load it up. best way to learn is to start fiddling with it. nice thing about a live cd is you can't mess anything up. hit what looks like the start menu and start exploring. I'll see if i can find the exact location for their partition manager later today so you can start off on your CF card.
 Top of the page
jordan Page Icon Posted 2011-06-29 9:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Boys,

Thanks for your help so far.

I've downloaded ubuntu live CD and had it running on the PC, and located 'gparted'. Regarding a suitable CF card, what would be considered the minimum capacity?

Regards
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-06-30 1:00 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think you could go as small as 512 MB. If I recall correctly the Jlime install is something like 170 some odd MB plus 64 for a swap and like 12 (?) for a dos partition....
 Top of the page
jordan Page Icon Posted 2011-06-30 10:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

Had a look on EBay and find that there are variations of the Sandisk CF, such as 15MB/s and the Extreme 3, 30MB/s, and 20MB/s. Will the higher rates work on the 720, or should I stick with the lower?

Thanks
 Top of the page
lotec Page Icon Posted 2011-07-02 1:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi jordan,

Please see the CompactFlash compatibility list for the HP Jornada 7xx series here.

BTW, you may want to head over to the Jlime forums and post there also. You will find many helpful posts and there are some Jornada 720 users there who may be able to provide some assistance with the installation. As far as card selection for Jlime on the 720, I have seen success with the Sandisk 4GB, Transcend 4GB & Transcend 8GB but I am sure there are a few other cards that will work with Jlime.
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-07-02 7:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

the higher data rates will work, if the jornada can not take advantage of it the speed will simply be kicked down to a speed the jornada can use. I would probaly go with the 15mb/s since i'm not sure if it will be able to go any faster than that. then again i'm kinda cheap sooooo....
 Top of the page
jordan Page Icon Posted 2011-07-05 10:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Okay, and thanks for the info.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-02-11 12:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

jorel101 - 2011-06-24 12:47 PM

You need to create three partitions in your CF card one DOS partion to put jline.exe and the txt file that has your device info (you can get this from the jlime DL area). make sure your ram spec in that file is correct. (64 for 728) then you need your ext2 partition for the jlime files.

so first thing you gotta do is wipe your CF then apply your change.
then create your three partitions and apply those changes.
plug in your USB stick with your extracted jlime files , jline.exe and params.txt and copy those to the right place......Then you need to create your swap partition (twice the size of your ram)

Dear all, kindly ask for your help since I know very, very little about Linux. I have a 4GB CF Kingston card that I want to use for installing Jlime on Jornada 728.
I have a CD with a Linux distro (Knoppix) from an older computer That I intend to use for preparing the CF card.

So, first questions: how do I need to call the partitions and what size do I need to make them. From the above I understand the followings:
a) Partition one: DOS type; name:??? size a bit bigger than jline.exe plus params.txt; content: jline.exe plus params.txt
b) Partition two: name: ext2 ; size ???; content: jlime files (whatever that means)
c) Partition three: swap partition; name ??? size (2 x 64MB for J728) - is that so strict or could it be larger ??? content ???

Thank you!

P.S. I found this Installation guide at http://jlime.com/wiki/documentation/user/7xx/installation, I will see if I have evreything I need to follow it. In a peculiar way, another link from this forum to the Jlime site didn't work during the past days.
I am aware the this 4GB Kingston CF card might not work for Linux.

Edited by arlex 2012-02-11 12:50 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2012-02-14 9:52 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Should be fine.

A swap partition is a type of virtual memory. There's very little ram on the 720, so Linux is going to move the lesser-used data here and do its best to keep the things you need in RAM. It cannot store files (technically). You can make it as large as you wish, but keep in mind that your compactflash card is significantly slower than RAM. So if you say, allot 500mB of space for swap, Linux is going to go "oh joy, I have 532mB of memory now!" and consume more of it. This could land you in a situation where a lot of software you're using is set aside in swap, and each time you try to access them, the machine is going to have to do a ton of shuffling between swap and ram, with the end result being extreme sluggishness (if not a stall for ten minutes or more).

The guide should tell you all else you need to know.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12