x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

.NET gains and losses

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-09-17 5:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Since most of the CE-based apps showing up online these days are written for the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and 3.5, I've been testing a lot of freeware .NET CF apps on my CE 5 and 6 devices, some of which have .NET CF 3.5 installed, some with .NET CF 2.0, and some with both. My generic 7" netbooks and Wabook Sky have both installed, but a check of the registry reveals only a value (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/.NET Compact Framework) for 3.5 in all of them except one test unit on which I've flashed the Sylvania ROM, which has values for both 2.0 and 3.5. (Isn't .NET CF 3.5 supposed to be backward compatible with .NET CF 2 apps?)

Tinkering with .NET CF apps and the registries of the devices produces some confusing results:

1) With both .NET CF 2.0 and 3.5 on the device but with only the .NET CF 3.5 registry value, running .NET CF 2.0 apps produces the "The application failed to load required components" error message. With the 2.0 registry value added, the message is replaced on all the apps by the "This application requires a newer version of the .NET Compact Framework" message. Weird, given that the newest version of .NET CF 2.0 is installed - running cgacutil.exe shows the version to be 2.0.7045 (SP2), and both it and 3.5 are enabled in the registry. (The same result happens in the device with the Sylvania ROM, from which I copied the registry key.)

2) Though cgacutil.exe shows the 3.5 version on each device to be 3.5.7283, the registry value for 3.5 on some of the devices is instead named 3.5.7338, which doesn't seem to exist in the list of release versions of .NET CF 3.5. (According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Compact_Framework , the next release after 3.5.7283 was 3.5.9198.)

I'm hoping that knowing why I'm getting these results may give clues to how I might get some .NET apps working that aren't so far on these core CE devices.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-09-26 6:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

That is sort of confusing, it seems hard to understand why it wasn't implemented in the sense that 3.5 framework will run 3.5 programmes, whilst the 2.0 framework installed as well can go with the 2.0 programmes. Oh well..

On a side-note, I don't even know if I've ran into many .net apps for CE anyway.... Perhaps I'm sheltered, I dunno.. :/
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-26 11:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I wonder if your "This application requires a newer version of the .NET Compact Framework" message isn't just a default message saying that whatever version of NetCF you are running isn't the right one? Wonder what would happen with an older version running instead...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-09-26 7:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Based on stuff I've read from microsoft.com and elsewhere, it looks like .NET CF 3.5 is not necessarily backward compatible with 2.0 - which would explain why both are installed on several of these netbooks. But I've also read stuff suggesting that they don't necessarily work well together. So I thought maybe I could just disable 3.5 temporarily in the registry in the key mentioned above, but the netbooks won't let me - if I change the value from 1 to 0, and then go back and recheck the value without doing anything else in between, I find that it's reverted back to 1. Like the persistent registry key, it looks like this value is hard-coded. (These apps work fine on other devices with just .NET CF 2 installed.)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-09-27 5:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CE Geek, do you have the Sylvania rom on your 7" netbook? I could do some testing on my Sylvania 7" perhaps. I have that synet rom thing (the one with the horrid taskbar skin)...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-09-27 8:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

See my first post. I'm trying it on one right now.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-09-27 9:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh, I think I misread. I meant to determine which ROM, I meant to say I'm on the Digital Gadgets version. Sorry I didn't be to be all confuse-y.. :/

edit: On topic, I'll give it a go sometime later today. Any example .net 2.0 vs 3.5 thingies you've been using so I can see if we can match stuff..?

Edited by torch 2011-09-27 9:21 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-09-28 2:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thingies? Stop confusing me with those technical terms.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-09-28 3:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Or lack thereof... :P

Apps using 2.0 vs 3.5. I don't know any .net stuffy off the bat, so any you've been trying so we could compare notes, so to speak..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-09-28 8:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Results vary by device, but here are some that I've gotten working on one device or another:

.NET CF 2
JoinTech Analog Clock
TeKnowMagic Othello
April32 19Touch (game)
Belote (card game)
Fim (a Facebook client)
FingerPoint (a finger-friendly program menu)
frNotepad
FreeYourMind (a mindmapping app)
hgToDoList
Hit the Kitty (game)
Laughing Coin Flip
Magic Number (game)
MBro Poker
MobiNote
MobiNotepad (not the same app)
MyGoals
NeboPad (task manager)
Nyxbull Software NS Contacts Backup
OtO (a PIM viewer)
Outlook Cleaner
Persian Date and Time (a Persian calendar app)
PocketLoop (game)
Pocket Pachisi (game)
Pocket Pazaak (game)
Pocket Rack-O (card game)
PocketUno (card game)
AgileNotes
ShNotePad
SightReader (virtual piano app)
SnoozeAlarm
SpoonTools SpoonAlarm
SpoonTools SpoonWatch (digital clock)
TouchLaunch (another finger-friendly task manager)
TypeNote
WMMNotes
10x10 (game)
DreameeSoft Bill Buddy (attorney billable manager)
PDAGear BP Assistant (blood pressure tracker)
JoinTech Calculator
ConvertIt (unit converter)
Note2Day
PocketScreen (screen capture)
PPCFinder (Windows XP-like file search utility)
JoinTech ScreenSaver
JoinTech Unit Converter
Photo Resize
acbPowerMeter
pdaAVIATION SunRise
RotateScreen (only works on devices supporting display rotation)

.NET CF 3.5
Basketball (a cute little basket-shooting game)
DeluxeMoon
GoldFish (a virtual goldfish that swims across the screen)
Rumen's Guitar (a little virtual guitar)
uTask (yet another task manager)
SciLors Bubble Crusher (a Jawbreaker clone)

(See all the apps we could get working on CE 2.xx devices if .NET CF 2 could be ported back to CE 2. )
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-10-06 12:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I think I may have found the solution - and once again it was the geniuses at xda-developers.com who pointed the way. It's called Microsoft .NET Configuration, and it came from someone on the MoDaCo Web site. Here it is:

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NETCFCFG.exe (67KB - 9 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9