x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about the HP 320LX/CE 1.0

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-01-16 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I was wondering if it would be worth getting an HP 320LX since I believe it has an energy efficient EL backlight light most grayscale devices correct? I have a 360LX but that white backlight, although makes the screen incredibly clear, eats through batteries nearly 1000% faster than an EL backlight.

However the 320LX has CE 1.0, I understand this means I can't install from cab files, but what are other limitations I should know?

I'm also curious to see what CE 1.0 was like, and the 320LX seems to be by far the best CE 1.0 device.

Would it be worth getting a 320LX if I can get one under $40?

Thanks
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2012-01-16 12:41 AM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

Limitations on CE 1.00 include having pretty much zero networking options, only being able to read Pocket Office documents, and having a lot less applications available. There are more little ones but those are some major limits I experienced I should hope you would be able to get a CE 1 device for under $20. 320LX on eBay That would be the right price, shipping's a little steep though. For $40 you could get a MobilePro 790. Prices settled in accordingly.

Edited by MobilePro Master 2012-01-16 12:41 AM
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-01-16 3:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Can word on CE 1.0 open html/asp files as text files for editing like you can in CE 2.0 or would I have to rename them to .txt?

Thanks
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-01-16 9:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You have to rename them .txt.

You can get a 320LX with a CE 2.00 ROM though, which solves the problem.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-01-16 8:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Part of why I want it is to see CE 1.0. I assume there are text editor programs for CE 1.0 that can open asp/html files?

If not I might just get it so I can finally see what CE 1.0 looked like, and it seems to me to be by far the best CE 1.0 device.

Thanks
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-01-16 11:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

AAB, there is very little software for CE1, you may be able to force something to open such files though.

If you can find a CE 2.00 version, I think I have a box of CE 1 ROM's for the 300 series somewhere, you can have one of those.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-01-17 9:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I just saw a YouTube video of a 320LX in the dark with the blacklight on and it's clearly a fake EL, it's really nothing more than 2 LEDs on the side ike the 360LX, but they made the LEDs green so some people might be fooled into thinking it has an energy efficient EL backlight.

One reason I wanted it was for the longer battery life EL backlight offers, but now that I've seen they faked the EL, its battery life must be as short as the 360LX.

I probably won't get it, unless I find a really, really cheap one, as in under $5 + shipping.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-01-24 12:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to CE 1 support
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 9:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2012-01-16 9:36 AM

You have to rename them .txt.

You can get a 320LX with a CE 2.00 ROM though, which solves the problem.

I have a CE 1.0 device now and was able to test this and just like in CE 2.x you can open asp/html files in word on CE 1.0, the only difference is that it doesn't ask if you want to open it as a text file, it just opens it. Likewise, when you save the file, it doesn't warn you about it being a text file and losing formatting.

I still much prefer CE 2.x for this due to the improved GUI, added features and wider screen.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10