x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

JoinTech JE100 tablet

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-01-29 11:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A couple of these CE 5 tablets showed up on eBay recently, and I was able to nab one for about 50 USD including shipping. Some cool things about it:

1) It's suspendable, bringing you right back where you were once you re-wake the device.

2) It's synchronizable with a PC, though like most CE 5 devices it lacks the PIM databases. TecAce cePIMS works nicely as a synchronizable PIM replacement, but like the other CE 5 devices on which I have cePIMS as a PIM replacement, the synchronized data get dumped after a soft reset.

3) JoinTech skinned the taskbar to look identical to the XP one, and even put in a splash screen right before suspending that looks just like the XP one (except with the "xp" missing from the Windows logo, and the words "Windows is standing by . . ." replaced by "Windows is sleeping . . ." )

4) The battery is identical to the Nokia BP-4L battery used in some cell phone models, so when I found that the battery it came with wouldn't hold a charge, I was easily able to find a working replacement with a higher capacity (2500 mAh instead of 1500 mAh).

It seems pretty fast, with a 400 MHz Samsung SC32442 processor (a version of the ARM920T). The expansion card slot is for microSD cards, and there are two mini-A USB ports (one OTG for synchronization with a PC, the other a USB host). The USB host port supports a wireless mouse receiver, but so far doesn't seem to be recognizing a USB mass storage device, even though usbmsc.dll is present in \Windows. One major downside is that there does not appear to be a built-in WiFi (or Bluetooth) receiver.

It's pretty thin (about half an inch), and with a footprint small enough to make it pocketable (about 4 1/2"x7" ).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-01-29 2:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So how do you get online with it then?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-01-29 6:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There doesn't seem to be a way - there's no Ethernet port either.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-01-29 7:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Too bad, but maybe it would take one of those USR Mag G wifi adapters like I used with the AMD 50x15...

Still I guess a person doesn't need to have wifi access all the time....I still use a couple of my old pocketpcs without wifi for what I need them for...it is just I'm spoiled these days...
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2012-01-29 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

According to the listing, JE200 has WiFi. Maybe, it's simply an error as it even says iGo10 with Atom.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JoinTech-JE200-128MB-7in-Black-/11081654226...

Edited by CAuser 2012-01-29 7:20 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-01-29 10:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, that's the JE200. Maybe the JE100 is different.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-03-15 6:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There are five of these on eBay right now, each for 50 USD from the same seller. Here's one of the listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jointech-JE100-eBook-Reader-w-Windows-CE-/3...
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2012-03-15 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It says "light internet use" but lacks way of connecting to internet. Interesting.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-15 6:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Guess you could surf via an Activesync connection...however, I bet I could solder an SD wifi card to the TF connector and mount it internally...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 6:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

After further review, I see that the specs were drawn directly from JoinTech's page on the device:

http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE100.html

On the right-hand side, you can see a reference to an optional WiFi dongle. Doesn't explain the hardware interface, though - would it have to be through the mini-USB port? If there are drivers pre-installed, then maybe there are some choices available.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 1:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If there are pre-installed USB drivers for CE...well, I'd be amazed!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 27