x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Worth getting a CE 1.0 device?

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-03-24 2:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Is it worth getting a CE 1.0 device? I know they are more limited, do they have any benefits, such as longer battery life or smaller device size?

BTW I just realized the Casio A-10/A-11 are the same as the Compaq C120 and C140! I thought they looked alike.

Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-03-24 7:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows CE 1.0x

I can attest to that, since I have both an A-10 and a C140.

I was surprised how many things I could do in CE 1 when I got the A-10. There's a version of the Windows CE Entertainment Pack that works in CE 1, and there's even an MPEG-1 video player: the early version of Wodeon, though it doesn't play sound:

http://www.gc-net.jp/omiokone/wodeon/indexE.htm

Quite a few nice system tray utilities too - Micro Cheng has a version of My Tools that works on CE 1, and it has several nice features:

http://www.micro-cheng.com/products/mytools.html

Here's a page with lots of links for CE 1 software:

http://velo.8k.com/

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-03-24 11:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you want a CE 1 generation device to play with you are better off with a 1.x device with a 2.0 rom in it, then you get the best of both worlds. I don't remember any appreciable difference in battery life from using the 2.0 ROM in a 1.x device.

The limitations of CE 1, particuarly with sync just make it useful as a show and tell item more than a usable device. CE 2 can be used properly as a PIM.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-03-26 12:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Just a note for CE Geek, there should be a way for the original poster to know when a thread was moved. As I came back to look for replies I couldn't find my thread, I thought perhaps it hadn't submitted properly and was going to post it again. Other forums normally still show the thread in the original forum with "Moved: " in front for a short while which makes it easy to find moved threads and doesn't make it appear as they have been deleted or not posted.

Can a CE 1.0 device sync with ActiveSync 3.8? Do CE 1.0 devices have IR ports and support IR sync?

C:Amie: My reason for wanting a CE 1.0 device is to see what CE 1.0 is like as I've never seen it, so getting one with CE 2.0 defeats my purpose.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-03-26 12:40 PM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2012-03-26 1:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

WRT to "lost" threads... Go to forums and then in the 3rd column under the "Welcome" heading, there is a link to all of your active threads.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-03-26 5:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-03-27 8:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's why I got mine, aab. It's cool to see how much you can do with those old relics.

I've seen what you're talking about in other forums (xda-developers.com does that). I always check the home page for threads highlighted as having new posts and/or check "Latest threads," so it was never a problem for me even before I became a moderator. I don't have any strong feelings either way. (Those things are up to Ye Administrator anyway. )
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-03-27 1:49 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I saw a Compaq C140 on eBay at a good price which claimed to be "upgraded to the version 2 processor" which I assume he meant upgraded to Windows CE 2.0. I guess I'll ask him if he still has the "version 1 processor" lol.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-03-27 3:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think I have a box full of 1.0 ROMs for the 320lx/MC12 somewhere, sadly cmonex and I tried one in a 360 a few years ago, but it wouldn't have it.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-04-03 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Why are CE 1.0 devices selling for more than many CE 2.0 devices? The one I was looking at ended at $32, I don't want to pay more than $10 considering I just want to see what they were like and probably won't have much use for it. And the highest selling one is the HP 200LX selling over $200, one of the oldest ones.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-04-03 3:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are a lot less of them and they're collectors items now, veritable antiques.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-04-04 4:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The 200LX has had a kind of cult following for some time now. I have one myself, but it hasn't seen daylight for quite a while. Meanwhile, a lot of older H/PCs are being offered at inflated prices by some sellers, and no one bites. Still, these older devices seem to be increasing a bit in value as they become collectors' items. (Nice to have a collectors' item that's still useful. )
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2013-04-17 5:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think the 200LX would be an awesome device to own! Let's go DOS! hahah
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-04-19 6:45 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2012-03-24 10:24 AM

and there's even an MPEG-1 video player: the early version of Wodeon, though it doesn't play sound:

Silent cinema on a palm! Yay!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2013-04-20 9:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hhaha, I remember using Wodeon on my Compaq 2010c...I think I tried it on my Velo 1 at one point (pardon the 'one' pun lol)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 26