x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Reset button on my A-20 sometimes does a hard reset! Why?

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-04-01 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yesterday I reset my A-20 and as Windows was rebooting I was pressing the backlight button repeatedly to get the backlight back on (the backlight button only responds once Windows is loaded). To my surprise when it did get back in Windows it had hard reset, so I figured a hardware issue might cause it to hard reset if you try to turn on the backlight as it reboots.

So I re-install all my apps and service packs, once I'm done I reset for the service packs to take effect, this time not even looking at the backlight button, and again it hard reset. I wasn't too happy after spending all that time re-installing for nothing. This time I put ArtSave on it to back it up, and of course it refused to install (the progress bar just stays at 0 when I run the cab), so I was unable to back it up before resetting (could have done it through ActiveSync but I hate that way of backing up, I want to use my HPCs as stand alone computers).

What could be causing the reset button to be doing a hard reset on occasion? Out of 10 or so resets 2 did a hard reset, I've also put a fresh backup battery in it as soon as I got it so that shouldn't be the issue.

In any case, what backup program works on the A-20 and that's still findable to download? I'd prefer one that does self extracting backup otherwise the backup is useless until you can re install the program. My Casio e-15 & E-100 both come with a backup program in ROM but not the A-20.

I hope this won't be an ongoing issue as the A-20 has become one of my favorite HPCs and is impossible to find. At least I normally only reset my CE devices a few times per year to freshen the program memory as Windows CE is nearly uncrashable (I've had CE hang maybe 3 times in the 12+ years I've been using it).

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-04-01 9:04 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-04-01 11:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows CE 2.0

My old LG Phenom H120 used to do this. Never figured out why, but the most likely cause would seem to be a faulty connection somewhere.

Casio did have a backup program for the PA-2400U, which also runs CE 2.0 on an SH3 processor. Here it is:

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CFBKUP.EXE (40KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-04-01 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks, this time I re installed and did an ActiveSync backup before resetting, and of course this time I didn't lose anything (only seems to happen when you don't have a backup lol).

I copied the backup program to my A-20 with an additional copy on the CF card, it's great that it doesn't require installing so it's fine even though it doesn't make them self-extracting since I can still restore without connecting to a PC. It's pretty much the same program I have on my E-15 & E-100 but with an option for scheduled backups.

I just backed up using it, took under a minute while ActiveSync backup over IR @ 115k took about half an hour! That's just one reason I much prefer backing up to CF cards on the device itself.

Edited by aab 2012-04-01 11:37 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10