x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Securing the Tasks database

syzygy Page Icon Posted 2012-10-09 10:23 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I still use my trusty NEC Mobile Pro 780 to keep notes and thoughts on a specific subject for which I use the built-in Tasks application. I now have several dozen notes over several years and these are now of some value to me.

My problem is if I forget to charge the device and the battery runs down then I lose everything because the Tasks database appears to be kept in RAM.

I have bUSEFUL Backup Plus which allows me to create a backup of the Tasks database on my CF card but this requires me to remember to perform a backup before the power is lost. Usually my last backup is out of date and so I lose recent task entries if when I have to restore.

Any ideas on how I can reliable secure my notes against power loss?

For example:
Is it possible to relocate the Tasks database to the CF card?
Could I use the bUSEFUL Script app to automate the backup or at least trigger a backup with a hotkey combination?

I've investigated the above but not got anywhere.

Grateful for any help or suggestions!

Edited by syzygy 2012-10-09 10:23 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-10-09 1:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Sounds like you need ArtSave. It will save your database files either automatically on schedule or on demand, and does incremental backups as well.

http://www.artsoftusa.com/eng/hpcprod.htm

Or you might try a less elegant solution such as APTimer which is a program that will wake up your HPC and run an executeable and turn itself off again. If there is a command line interface to a program, then you could use it to call a batch file to do your backup and close when it was over.
 Top of the page
syzygy Page Icon Posted 2012-10-10 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Rich.

Am investigating ArtSave although 25USD is probably more than my MP780 is worth....but perhaps not more than the data is worth.

APTimer is interesting but depends on me creating some sort of script to call a backup process if I'm going to automate things.

Taking a different tangent maybe there's something that produces a low battery audio alarm? At least that might prompt me into action.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-10 1:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You could always perform a sync down into Outlook, once you have the profile setup you can do it as a LAN sync into a XP Virtual Machine and in the event of faulure restore from there.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9