x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Anyone still use nPOPuk?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2016-09-26 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I still use nPOPuk on my desktop; I have to admit I haven't fired up my Jornada in probably 2 years (judging from the last post in this thread).

But I found that Hotmail was giving me some trouble (not properly closing the socket, and nPOPuk was bringing up an error dialog, interrupting the "check all" process), so I added some code to handle that case. I also updated the OpenSSL code to 1.0.2j (out today), and went ahead and compiled for WinCE211. Those binaries are on the nPOPuk forum:

http://npopuk-forum.986084.n3.nabble.com/Release-Candidate-1-for-nP...

I'd be interested to know if anyone cares.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-09-27 3:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I do care and I just updated my nPOPuk in a Windows 10 machine (can't stand its native email program).

Your new version worked wonderfully and read the existing mail databases without complaint and had no trouble with using the current .ini

Many thanks for your continued support. I do not own a 2.11 machine but if you release a HPC2000 version, I'd be happy to test it.

At any rate, Windows 10 is far more usable with nPOPuk

Jake
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2016-09-30 4:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The 2.11 should run on HPC2000. Thanks for the kind words.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2016-09-30 5:16 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just posted the HPC2000 files; same link I posted above.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-09-30 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wonderful! I will try them out this weekend.

Many, many thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-09-30 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Just put npopuk304rc1ssl_wce30arm through all its pace--previous version's mailboxes, previous version's .ini. It all works except gmail. I'm getting an "unbale to verify certificate" error and checking/unchecking "Verify the server certificate" in "Set SSL" doesn't help.

So with a fresh setup of current nPOPuk (nothing from previous versions, only using the files in npopuk304rc1ssl_wce30arm), with "Verify the server certificates" checked, I'm getting this official error:

"Verify if SSL failed
unable to get local issuer certificate (20)"

without checked "verify the server certificates," I get "Server disconnected"

When I use my old 3.01 setup, I can access my gmail account (though I'm getting some synchro errors; I haven't used it in a long time), but I get certificate errors when trying to send mail.

I'm using this as my gmail setup guide:

http://npopuk.org.uk/2.13/wm/setup.html#pop

Any ideas?

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-09-30 7:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

To test further, I just setup, checked, and sent mail from a gmail account in the npopuk304rc1ssl_win32u version on Win10. That worked fine.

Jake
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2016-10-01 3:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

That's weird. Certainly, I updated OpenSSL to the latest code, so that's a change, but it's the same version of OpenSSL in win32 as wce3. I did have an issue with trying to compile OpenSSL on WinCE, there was a "calloc" call but WinCE uses a different memory allocation system (LocalAlloc), but I think I worked around it. I'm not sure if nPOPuk even calls that function from the libraries, and at worst, I could imagine a memory leak, but it shouldn't fail. Are there other people who provide OpenSSL DLLs that you could use with the non-SSL version of 3.04?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-10-01 3:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I don't know of other people who compile OpenSSL--you mention compiling for WinCE so I assume one can't simply drop generic SSLs into the Resource directory.

Do you find the same error in your own J720?

Jake

Edited by Jake 2016-10-01 3:39 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-10-01 3:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm a bit out of my field here, but you suggested earlier that the 2.11 version would work in HPC2000. For yucks, I set up gmail in that on the J720, found the same certificate errors, but also noticed that there is no Resource directory. Are the OpenSSLs incorperated into the 2.11 *.exe? Perhaps the *.exe is not properly finding the Resource directory, but as I say, I'm less than amateur in this stuff.

Jake
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-10-01 6:58 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I don't know if this will be helpful (I have only the most superficial understanding of these issues), but there are people over at webOS Nation who have successfully provided us with updated SSL and certificates for Palm Pre devices to keep everything working properly. They may have the answers -- or you might find them in the forums -- since they rely on OpenSSL as well.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-10-01 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@ Mobi--That hadn't occurred to me, thanks. I poked around there, but it seems to be apples and oranges.

On the other hand, I downloaded nPOPuk 3.03 for arm/ssl and that works with gmail, receiving and sending.

Edit: as long as "Verify the server certificates" is unticked in SMTP

Jake

Edited by Jake 2016-10-01 8:29 PM
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2016-10-03 5:45 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I haven't fired up my J720 nor J820 to try this; I don't know that it'll give me any more useful information. The OpenSSL code is compiled in to those binaries; if you want to provide your own DLLs, I think you just put them in the same directory with the non-ssl nPOPuk binary.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2016-10-03 6:21 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don't think it will make a difference, but I tweaked a work-around for WinCE I had in the OpenSSL code and uploaded a revised binary for wce3/arm/ssl.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-10-03 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you for the follow-up and the newest rc release. Unfortunately, it generates the same certificate errors as before. So strange that 3.03 works with the SSLs.

Jake
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8