x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Installing Linux/Unix on a Compact Flash

David99 Page Icon Posted 2012-11-25 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Is there anyone reputable that can install Linux/Unix on my 8 GB Compact Flash card? I will pay something reasonable.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-25 7:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Too easy...just go here and download and run it...

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

When you are done, you will have a USB flash drive that will boot the Linux of your choice...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-25 8:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That won't help David99, Rich - he has a Jornada 720.
 Top of the page
David99 Page Icon Posted 2012-11-25 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Any other suggestions?
 Top of the page
David99 Page Icon Posted 2012-11-25 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

How about JLime?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-25 10:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ohhhh...my mind is slipping, I thought it said USB. And I was thinking desktop, not HPC use....arrgh...dummy me...
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2012-11-26 12:25 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Are you asking if anybody has used JLime or whether somebody would be willing to put it onto a CF card for you? Have you tried it already?

For a Linux beginner, you actually could follow Rich's advice and make a live/bootable CD/USB of Linux (I like Puppy) and reboot your desktop/laptop (the machine with your CF card reader) to Linux (it won't erase your current OS). You'll literally only be using the OS for ten minutes: namely to boot up, use the "cfdisk" application (it has nothing to due with a Compact Flash) or "GParted" if you're going to use Puppy, and then copy the files.

The directions for cfdisk and loading are here...

http://www.jlime.com/wiki/documentation/user/7xx/installation

I guess my question (being a former (well, it's still on my desk, but it's moved into the bookend position :-( ) MobilePro user is why do you want to use Linux?

HTH,
 Top of the page
David99 Page Icon Posted 2012-11-26 1:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm very, very new to this and was hoping someone could do it or walk me through it?
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 1:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I tried putting Jlime on my J720 (followed the steps as accurately as is humanly possible), but I get an error when opening the executable within CE. Something about not being able to find the boot material or similar. No idea what to do about it which is why I just shoved it away shortly afterwards.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 8:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I tried it once, and considering the time it took me to do it...it wasn't worth it...
 Top of the page
stefcuch Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I know it is not exactly what you asked, but I have been able to boot elks, a very small linux distro under Pocket DOS on my Casio Pocket Manager BE300 (Mips CE 3.0). Pocket DOS is an 8086 emulator. It runs well. I am yet to attempt a full GUI distro.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-12-01 7:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Frankly the installation process should have a GUI of its own (for Linux based OSes at least), if I ought to be taking it seriously. The user interface itself is probably quite easy once I can get the whole thing up and running. Jlime's own forums seem to be a bit quiet though, not sure how much use it would be to post my findings there, but its worth a pop to open maybe one thread.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-12-01 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

UPDATE: I've found out that the cause may be that I've got the wrong brand of CompactFlash card it seems that the kernel is apparently 'quite picky about what it accepts as a hard drive rather than just flash storage'. Hunting down one of the original Sandisk 4GB Ultras to see if I can do anything with that. I'm rather worried though, the last time I tried to do it with my Integral CF card I accidentally wiped part of my external HDD instead.

Edited by Paspie 2012-12-01 11:00 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2012-12-02 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

About two years ago, I installed Jlime on 4GB Team CF on MP900C without any problems although it took some time.

I installed with the help of Fedora 10 on my 60GB PS3.

I never owned a Jornada so I don't know much about it but it should be similar.

It IS worth your time if you ask me, especially with it having Firefox. I also compiled Perl on MP900C lol.

You should look at the Jlime forums and the link below.

http://www.acetolyne.net/Projects/node/17
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-12-02 9:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well to me I guess it is worth it because I don't care so much for the Windows CE OS as much as some other members do, its more the clamshell form factor (as well as other hardware features from back in the late 90s, early noughties) that I'm quite a fan of. So I'm not limited to just Microsoft-licensed HPCs, Psions fit my interest criteria as well. As it turns out, both the Jornada series and the Psion 5mx will run a Linux based OS with the IceWM desktop environment, so once I got rid of the Sharp and replace it with a Psion it would be a nice array of palmtops to use, which don't rely on ancient, decrepit software.

I could fund it all by selling my complete Visual Basic.NET 2003 box. I've got no use for it right now and it seems fitting. Not that its relevant for this thread, but erm....yeah.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 13