x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New HPC owner with a couple of questions

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-03-04 9:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows CE 4.x .net

TheMaritimeMan - 2013-03-03 10:21 PM

I'll definitely be trying cmonex when my Microdrive comes. Most attractive to me is the compatibility with PPC and WM software.

So I installed Opera Mini 5... Holy cow! I never knew how capable these things could be on the Internet! I'm typing this on it, as a matter of fact. I'd say it's doing a better job on the web than my PlayStation Portable. The taskbar is covering the bottom bar in Opera, and it's unresponsive for as long as Opera is open, but apparently that's a known bug.

It is possible to tap on the upper part of each button, though you have to know in advance what they are cuz you can't see the labels on them. The easy workaround is to autohide the taskbar before opening Opera Mini.

TheMaritimeMan - 2013-03-03 10:21 PM
I tried to get Opera 8.65 working, but after I installed Redgear, not a single application would open! Opera, Wordpad, Calculator... nothing! It would just say "[blank] is not a valid WinCE application". I had to delete redgear.dll, then uninstall Redgear to use this thing again. I assume there must be something else to install for Redgear to work?

No, but I wouldn't bother with RedGear on the 900C as nearly every Windows Mobile 2003 app will work in CE 4.2 .net. You just have to add a DLL or two in some cases, and there are tons of these on cmonex' site as well. And Cmonex 2.0 pretty much takes care of that by including those extra DLLs. (Read her pages on reflashing the 900C very carefully, though - you need to make sure you have the right bootloader version before reflashing. If you have an older bootloader, you'll need to reflash that first.)
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2013-03-04 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I preferred redgear on my G138 as it meant I didn't need to redirect dll's in every app. Remember redirecting dll's takes up more ram as it would have to load a diff version of dll for apps.

However if I'd kept up with it I'd have gone custom rom route as it would be a lot easier. And cmonex also provided a rom kitchen for the 900c iirc so once your used to it and know what apps you wanr and don't want you can make your own rom with extra apps, apps removed etc.

John

Edited by mr-mac 2013-03-04 11:22 AM
 Top of the page
TheMaritimeMan Page Icon Posted 2013-05-24 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

My most sincere apologies for suddenly going quiet for 2.5 months. Life became very busy for me, and I really haven't had any free time at all until lately. So here's what's happened since the last time I posted.

First off, despite the eBay seller of my Seagate ST1 assuring me that it would be CF compatible, it is not. The seller still insisted that it should have been, and I got all of my money back. On the upside, it works excellent with my CF reader.

So, just a week ago I bought a real 1 GB IBM Microdrive for an excellent price. It came today, and it works great on my Mobilepro. So far, I have upgraded the bootloader and OS, and then I installed Cmonex 2.0.

The custom ROM works great. With all due respect, though, I don't really care for the custom theme and icon set (I'm a nut when it comes to user interfaces), and since the only real reason I would use the custom ROM is the extra software support, I'm considering downgrading back to the factory ROM. With that being said, is there anything besides redirected DLLs that I should install that will allow me to run whatever programs Cmonex's ROM can? If I can install all the required stuff on the factory ROM myself to give me that functionality, that would be awesome.

Thanks for any assistance, and again, my apologies for the silent period.

Edited by TheMaritimeMan 2013-05-25 12:37 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-25 12:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cmonex did a lot more than just add .dlls. There are massive registry changes and some of the files in the Windows folder are not original versions either.

You might dump the registry first before you change back so you can compare it with the stock registry later. Also, someone mentioned the ROM Kitchen she put together. It has all the files you need to make that custom rom...so really can pick and choose.

I didn't like the interface either, so I created my own custom rom and still use it. It is essentially the Cmonex v2 rom with all the hoopala removed, non of the readers, utilities except for executability check. And a few added games I paid for like KSE Backgammon, which I enjoy. I also added Textmaker 2002 to my rom version and left out all the MS Office viewers, word, etc. And I included Opera Mini 5 in mine.

It takes some work, but when you are done, it is worthwhile. If you just want to use a stock rom and include some of the dlls and a few programs, it is pretty easy to do, and in conjunction with Cmonex's effort, I wrote a noobies guide to teach you how to do it...it is pretty simple to do.
 Top of the page
TheMaritimeMan Page Icon Posted 2013-05-25 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the response, I may try the ROM kitchen eventually. In the meantime, now that I have a good size CF card, I'll try and see how I do with a stock ROM, and I'll be trying Jlime and NetBSD, as well.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2013-06-28 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Just a (late) note about your troubles with RedGear - did you soft reset after installing? It's a required step. Otherwise, when using the stock ROM, I can't think why no program would open.

The others are right though. On the 900C RedGear doesn't get you much, especially since Opera Mini works well with the stock ROM.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-06-28 10:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Still, there have been a few ppc programs that wouldn't display properly without Redgear on the 900C....still an excellent program!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.172 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9