x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Still cool after all these years

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-03-08 5:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Although I'm immensely enjoying modern devices such as my 7 Starter netbook and now an Acer Chromebook, it's amazing me that to this day I can still totally immerse myself in my 1999 MobilePro 800 and 880. The keyboard is the best I've ever felt, and is still flawless, the display is pretty much as new (I always use it at three or four steps above dimmest), and I can still do a surprising amount of internet on both machines. Incredible that a computer this old is still so alive.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-08 9:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

And web browsing is even better with the 790 chip in the 880...
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-03-10 4:57 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That would be great, but I don't think I'm willing to lose mouse support.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-03-10 4:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

By the way, Rich, you haven't stopped using HPCs, have you? It seemed you were selling off some stuff recently.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-11 5:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nope...still have my 790, 900, and 900c machines. I'll keep them for nostalgia.

After all, I bought the 900C brand new for a tidy $900 plus bucks!

My latest acquisition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171003812590

Just to use it as a simple whatever...camera, ebook reader, mp3 player, web surfer, who knows....anything but a cell phone...
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-03-11 6:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Interesting phone...this brings me to a question I've pondered - is it possible to buy a smartphone, whether old or new, and not activate the phone service, but still use the other functions, such as web browsing? I like the new phablets that are coming out, but have little or no use for a cellphone. They would make neat tablets, if this could be done.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2013-03-14 11:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Chuck E - 2013-03-11 10:45 AM

Interesting phone...this brings me to a question I've pondered - is it possible to buy a smartphone, whether old or new, and not activate the phone service, but still use the other functions, such as web browsing? I like the new phablets that are coming out, but have little or no use for a cellphone. They would make neat tablets, if this could be done.

Yes, that's what I've done with my Dell Streak5 and Nokia N900.....

N900 is the best, since it runs linux, like having pocket computer (can use as cellphone too if one wants...) Open source mainly, so, still supported by community efforts, don't have to depend on device manufacturer/Microsoft for upgrades like with WinCE devices....

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10