x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE-compatible USB WiFi dongle on eBay

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-22 5:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

At least that's what the package claims.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-USB-WIRELESS-LAN-CARD-COMPLIED-WITH-WINDO...

Anyone familiar with this one?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-22 12:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It appears to be similar to the one I bought...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RT3070-150M-USB-TV-Wifi-Adapter-Wireless-So...

Except it has an antenna that screws into place as well as the internal antenna (if it has one).

I say the same, RT3070. If you look at the box in your auction, you can see the picture of the othr USB wifi stick there that I bought.

The drivers can be downloaded from http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=500 but they don't seem to carry the CE drivers any longer...they used to, but they've been deleted from their web page. Supposedly it uses the same drivers as the RT2870.

If you want only the CE drivers, then click on the word "CD" on the auction that I bought mine from...

The wifi stick itself works fine. That is I was able to use it with both a Linux and XP machines and connect. I like the one you showed better because of the antenna...mine seem a little weak picking up signals sometimes.

As far as working with CE...I don't have a CE5 or CE6 device with the right type of USB port I guess. When I plug it into my 900C, you get the standard requestor for a driver...which there is none for CE NET 4.2. When I plug it into my CE6 devices, they never ask for a driver or recognize the wifi stick. But all the CE6 toys I have are all those NAND disk on a chip type things....nothing like my HPCs with standard ROM and resident hardware...

It would be cool if Ralink would create older drivers....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-23 8:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The only CE 5 or later device I have without built-in WiFi is my JoinTech JE100 tablet, but it doesn't have a full-size USB port. (That tiny CE 6 device I mentioned in another thread still isn't booting any more. ) But I thought that others might find this useful. (I am downloading the CE driver nonetheless while it's still available. )
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-19 5:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Guess this is as good a place as any to post this...if you refer to the eBay link above you will see the USB wifi stick I had purchased.

Well today I was going through my software and when I was looking at the drivers for this thing I noticed that it had an x86 driver for CE 5 & 6 included with the ARM, MIPS, and SH4 drivers. So I thought to myself...hmm, wonder if it would work on my AMD 50x15?

So I ran the CAB file for the driver, it installed, and I plugged in the USB wifi stick...and viola!!!! It connects wireless at 802.11N speeds with the PIC. Very cool. And with WPA-PSK security too!

(2870wifistick.jpg)

(amd50x15wifi.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2870wifistick.jpg (19KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments amd50x15wifi.jpg (187KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-09-20 5:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Hm, with the MIPS and SH4 drivers, wonder if it would work on any H/PC Pro devices.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-09-20 8:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Can we please HCL the device and drivers?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-20 12:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nope, only works on CE5 and above...I've tried...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-09-20 5:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Could be useful on my Viliv X5, though, which doesn't have built-in WiFi.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-20 6:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, I sent the drivers to C:Amie...so he should be posting them in the next few days...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-09-20 8:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I tried that MIPS driver on the Viliv X5 with the no-name USB WiFi dongle that came with my 10" WEC 7 netbook, and it's now connecting fine to my home network, though so far I can't connect to any Web sites using the built-in Web browser.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-09-22 5:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They are now in the HCL under RealTek
 Top of the page
silento Page Icon Posted 2013-10-22 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Are all the Ralink RT5370 compatible with Windows CE 5 and 6?

If yes, are all these usb dongles listed on ebay compatible with CE 5&6?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=Ralink+R...

I just bought a car stereo unit that has windows ce 6. It has a usb slot so I'm trying to add an additional function, internet access.
I'm looking for a black usb wifi dongle that doesn't have the long antenna stick because it can break off.

Please help

Thank you
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-10-22 7:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't have an RT5370 USB dongle to test, but the RT2870/RT3070 ones seem to be working with any USB-enabled CE 5 or 6 device.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-10-22 11:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much Silento...most USB ports in CE devices these day don't have USB support for i/o data communication, but are limited to only reading memory sticks..

But if I were going to get one, I would get the one with the long antenna as a car can metal easily shield the wifi signals. Most people who drive around looking for open wifi signals have touse an external antenna for good connection.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-10-22 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2013-10-22 2:25 PM

most USB ports in CE devices these day don't have USB support for i/o data communication, but are limited to only reading memory sticks..

What are you talking about?
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11