x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Color Sharp Mobilon or Compaq C2000c series?

1 2
aab Page Icon Posted 2013-09-09 3:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I've wanted a color CE 2.0 device for a while and am hesitating between a color Sharp Mobilon or a Compaq C2000c series HPC.

Is it me or the Compaq C2000c series seem to be very thick compared to most other HPCs? How does it compare to the mobilon?

Where can I see instructions on rebuilding the color Mobilon battery? Is the Compaq's battery also easily rebuildable?

Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-09-09 4:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows CE 2.0

I'd go with the Mobilon HC-4600. The display is bright, and the device is the same size as a Jornada. It is also very easy to adapt the Mobilon battery pack to hold two rechargeable AA batteries: just pry the case apart with a box knife, remove the pack, place a little padding on both sides of the inside of the case to hold the AAs in place, and there you have it. The only issues are that the device won't run long on the AAs - maybe an hour - and you will probably need to remove the batteries from the pack to recharge them, because the Mobilon's charging circuit does not appear to charge the AAs in place. (At least that was my experience when I did it.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-09 2:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I had a C2010...and loved it. Really, I did. I liked it much more than my HC-4500...
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2013-09-09 2:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I just won a color Mobilon 4600 (after having won a grayscale 4100 just weeks ago) for $9.99 on eBay. I don't see why a rebuilt battery wouldn't charge, I hope that's not the case as I highly doubt I would use it if I need to disassemble the battery pack each time it needs charging.

By the way what's the difference between the 4100 and 4200 and between the 4500 and 4600? For the last two pdadb seems to only show a different amount of ROM, does it just come with more built in software?

I also remember seeing a demo of a color Mobilon with the PC card camera at a shopping mall on a trip to Singapore over 10 years ago, was the camera for photos only or does it do video like the Casio CF camera? With a 73 MHz (excuse me, 73.728 MHz as per the specs) I doubt it can do video when the Casio's 131 MHz can only do very low res video.

I still never got an answer about what the backlight button is for on the color Mobilons, do you or anyone here have one and can tell me what it does? It's the only color HPC AFAIK with a backlight button which doesn't really make any sense, were they too lazy to remove it from the color model and left the button there without it doing anything?

Thanks
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2013-09-09 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2013-09-09 2:04 PM

I had a C2010...and loved it. Really, I did. I liked it much more than my HC-4500...

We replied about a minute apart! I might end up getting a Compaq C2000 series as well, what did you like about it and what did it have better than the color Mobilon?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-09 4:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I liked that it had a full version of Pocket Bizcalc as part of the OS...
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2013-09-09 10:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2013-09-09 4:43 PM

I liked that it had a full version of Pocket Bizcalc as part of the OS...

Is that the only thing you liked better about it? I've read many reviews saying the display panel hinge cracks after a short period with normal usage, even people that had read of it happening to others and were careful with it still had it fail.

I also checked the size specs and it's 1.6 inches thick while mots others are 1 to 1.2 inches.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-10 1:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Mine was perfect...never had any problem...maybe I'm just more careful than most with their hpcs...the screen was clear and bright, keys all worked fine...never had one problem with it...

I guess there is only one solution to your dilemma...buy both!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-09-11 7:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Stop that, Rich - one CE Geek is enough.

I admit that I can't speak about the Compaq device, since that's one of the few devices I've never had. But it strikes me as kinda bulky.
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2013-09-12 12:35 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

aab - 2013-09-08 10:08 PM
Is it me or the Compaq C2000c series seem to be very thick compared to most other HPCs? How does it compare to the mobilon?

The colour Compaq C-Series is a lot thicker, to the point of being awkward. To me, it just isn't as easy to carry. Also, they keys aren't nice to type on.

Rick
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-12 2:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I agree on the keys...the little round things were not very nice in comparison to the square keys...but the thickness really was minimally larger...

Maybe I'm prejudiced because my HC-4500 wasn't as nice as my Compaq...
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2013-09-12 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2013-09-12 2:11 PM

Maybe I'm prejudiced because my HC-4500 wasn't as nice as my Compaq...

What do you mean by that?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-12 6:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It was older and more beat up...
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2013-09-14 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Both devices are well past their use by date nowadays. You may as well just get a MobilePro 900 from Usedhandhelds and be done with it, I don't see the point of the older models unless they're B/W.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2013-09-20 1:14 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Paspie - 2013-09-14 12:08 PM

Both devices are well past their use by date nowadays. You may as well just get a MobilePro 900 from Usedhandhelds and be done with it, I don't see the point of the older models unless they're B/W.

I do want a MobilePro 900 to replace my 790 (which I got to replace my defective 900) because I find the build quality on the 790 very poor.

However I wanted one of those 2 CE 2.x HPCs because I always wanted to see what a color CE 2.x HPC was like, and none of these have a "use by" date, they aren't bread, they work just as well today as 15 years ago (with new batteries).

I also realized the grayscale Sharp Mobilon's AA holder fits exactly into the color model and I happen to have a broken grayscale Mobilon so I'll use it's AA holder for the color one, it only requires having a contact at a different place which can be done with aluminum foil at the end but I'll figure out something more professional. It will be awesome having a color HPC that runs on AAs!

Thanks

Edited by aab 2013-09-20 1:19 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 29