x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J820 Running Debian-arm

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-14 4:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I booted today with my Orinoco Gold card inserted. It found my open access point from my Nexus phone. Iwconfig shows that the access point is seen as eth0. I ran ifup eth0 and was able to ping www. google .com. Pictures to follow when I have a bit more time.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-11-14 5:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for all your updates, Mjolnir!

Nice to see the 820 being used again....

FYI, you reduced the size of your pics so much that when I download them and view them, hoping to see larger images, they are same small size as in your post. If possible, can you repost them in a bit larger size?

Keep up the good work and keep us all posted!

Mark
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-14 7:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Dang it! Sorry for the huge pictures, will try to fix them later. They look fair when d/l.

(output_1_1.jpg)

(output_2_2.jpg)

(output_3_3.jpg)

(output_4_4.jpg)

(output_5_5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments output_1_1.jpg (91KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments output_2_2.jpg (93KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments output_3_3.jpg (89KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments output_4_4.jpg (79KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments output_5_5.jpg (95KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-14 10:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Here I set up my connection as outlined above then used wget to d/l the index.html page of Linuxquestions.org. I used cat to display a portion of the page.

(wget_cat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wget_cat.jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-11-14 10:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Nice!

Thanks for sharing more of your usage....

Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2016-11-15 2:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Wow, that's really cool! Is there any way to use ssh or connect to a terminal over serial port?

Also, would you mind sharing the files and instructions needed to recreate this?
Thanks!
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-15 6:11 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks. The basic instructions and d/ls are at the links I posted at post three. I used the instructions at http://badaboum.bidibom.free.fr/linux-jornada-fs/
and used his/her archives (tar.bz2) to copy the file systems to my CF card. The best I remember I wasn't able to get the card to boot and it is, after all, built for a J720. I then went to http://jornada820.sourceforge.net/binaries.html
and put François-René Rideau and his group's bootimage and the bootloader, I believe the loader came from the BSD guys but I'm not sure, on the card's FAT 16 partition. This combination boots to a ramdisk and then pivot-roots to the J720 'userland.' I was never able to find the Fare group's userland.
I should mention that the J720 install apparently has an X-window instance with Ion2 as a window manager that of course doesn't work on the J820, at least I haven't been able to do so. From reading mail archives it appears that the Fare group had a working X11 and I've seen hints that the Netbsd port also had one.
I would almost bet that someone who knew what they were doing, I don't, could use the serial line for SSH. Such a person could probably add apps from archives of Debian Sarge from the 2.4 kernel Arm port to the CF card.
My old Lenovo XP/Ubuntu dual boot laptop had it's fan quit so at the moment all I have to use is a cheap Win 10 laptop with a Ubuntu 16.04 VM and no CF card reader and some old Panasonic Toughbooks with some older linux installs on them.
When I boot Sarge on the J820 it 'sees' my Netgear PCMCIA Model FA411 network card and if I can dig a network cable out of my junk pile I may try to direct connect it to one of the old Toughbooks.
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-16 1:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

This a view of my CF card. fdisk /dev/hda

(fdisk_hda.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fdisk_hda.jpg (93KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-16 4:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I booted up 'Sarge' this morning and mounted the FAT16 portion of my CF card with 'mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /home' and used nano to write out and save a .txt document to the card. Later I used Pocket Word to open and read the document. Not exactly revolutionary of course but still it's fun. :-)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-11-16 6:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

That's great.....

Sounds like your Debian setup is actually quite usable and functional......

Although would be good if you could get X and a DM running too.....

Edited by ArchiMark 2016-11-16 6:26 PM
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-16 6:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It's fun to play with but in the end not very practical. I still enjoy it and that's all that matters.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-11-16 6:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mjolnir - 2016-11-16 10:43 AM

It's fun to play with but in the end not very practical. I still enjoy it and that's all that matters.

Well said, sir......

Can't argue with that.....

So, keep up the fun and keeping us posted...

Who know, you might get me wanting to obtain another HPC.....

Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-17 6:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I had a pretty productive morning. I modified sources.list to include the Debian archives - ran' apt-get update', 'apt-get upgrade' and tried to install elinks. That attempt failed because of dependencies. I then got lucky and was able to install another text browser called w3m. I then visited Google and HPC Factor.

(sources_list.jpg)

(Apt_Get_Update.jpg)

(w3m.jpg)

(Google.jpg)

(HPCFactor.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sources_list.jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Apt_Get_Update.jpg (97KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments w3m.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Google.jpg (94KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments HPCFactor.jpg (92KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 3:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Very good, Mjolnir....

Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 12:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks. I should mention that w3m has an additional facet of displaying inline images (w3m-img) and tabbing. I think most of us in the forum are aware that running linux will lose all of your personal settings when you reboot and I will add the caveat that you can reboot to unreadable screens, either too dark or too light that you can adjust with ALT +</>. On occasion you may also lose the touchpad and cursor and will have to use Tab on the appropriate screens to regain it's use. Sometimes nothing is amiss when you reboot.
Now that I can install other software I have a variety of things I may try with my 'toy.' ;-)
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 14