x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: NEC Mobile Terminal S1596-01

1 2 3 4 5 6
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-12-30 11:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

When you come across a snappy product name, you know that good things are sure to follow. Unfortunately we have to suggest that the prodigies behind the instantly memorable S1596-01 will not have been living it large this (or any other) holiday season as a result of their marketing bonus (it is the "-01" which makes it classy, right?).

The NEC Mobile Terminal is for the most part exactly what its name states it is, an industrial device that has been designed to accommodate the needs of a wide number of stakeholders. As a result it has the potential to offer a comprehensive set of connectivity options in a compact Windows CE 5.0 package.

Rich Hawley explores the merits of this Windows CE Tablet PC in his latest review here on the site.

View: NEC Mobile Terminal S1596-01
 Top of the page Quote Reply
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2013-12-31 2:15 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for the review! Makes it tempting to look again at a CE Tablet, although I need one about as much as I need another hole in the head.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-12-31 7:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I assume that RAS stands for Remote Access Service. As for ActiveSync connection, I wonder if it needs the USB client driver that enables ActiveSync connection with the 900C.

I've seen employees at local 7-Eleven convenience stores using this device. Wonder what they do with it.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-12-31 11:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cmonex would have loved this machine. From the Maintetool.exe, if I chose T&D1, it takes me to some low level bios input type screen. For instance, here is the root level, then the flash rom option, and then the edit flash rom option....from there I quit before I created a brick.

BTW hmascience, I needed it like I needed a root canal myself...but I have no self-control when it comes to playing with toys. I'll keep it for a while, play with it and then resell it for my costs and break even. Opera Mini runs great on it also...

BTW2: I was able to change the settings in the registry and now it Activesyncs just fine under XP or using the WMDC under Win7. There are no PIMS on the thing however....

(t&d1.jpg)

(t&d2.jpg)

(t&d3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments t&d1.jpg (138KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments t&d2.jpg (114KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments t&d3.jpg (147KB - 0 downloads)
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-01 2:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You can edit the ROM before doing the flash? (Never seen an X-Scale ROM that you can edit.)

Did you have to create a Serial_Class key in HKLM/Drivers/USB/FunctionDrivers, or just point to it?

No PIM databases? (Some CE 5 devices had them.)
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-01 10:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is it CE 5 Standard or CE 5 Pro?
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-01 11:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually it was in the hkey_current_user/controlpanel/comm. I had to change the keys for autocnct to 1 and noactivesync to 0

I hadn't seen that key before...anyways, I dumped the registry in text format attached to this post you can look at...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments S1596-01 Registry.txt (393KB - 1 downloads)
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-01 8:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yup, looks like no PIM databases - no PIM keys under HKLM/Windows CE Services/Synchronization/Objects. Only .NET CF 1.0 SP3 preinstalled too.

You mentioned that browsing speed is no better than many older devices. Wonder if setting the display resolution down to SVGA (800x600) - or VGA (640x480) - would speed it up noticeably. (I like that it has an XGA [1024x768] display though - the only other CE device I know of that has an XGA display is the Fujitsu Stylistic CT2020, a CE.net 4.2 device. [I wish the battery hadn't died on my CT2020.])
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-02 12:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The higher viewing footprint of XGA compensates for speed...far less scrolling...ouch ouch ouch
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-02 9:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is it CE 5 Standard or CE 5 Pro?

Are the POOM databases on it? I've never got to the bottom of what DLL initialises the install of POOM into ADOCE, but there must be a way to reverse engineer it via regsvrce calls.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-02 9:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No POOM databases on it at all...crap. I guess I could install them, but am afraid it would just have to be hard reset and I'd lose it all and have to keep starting over...

I'm getting to the point where I'm accessing all my data these days online...
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-03 11:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You can always use cePIMS and/or Pocket On-Schedule. (The nice thing about having the POOM databases, though, is that there are lots of apps that read from them, so you have a wide choice of ways to view them. )

Tinkering around tonight with one of my Nova 5000s (which retain installed/copied files and registry keys but dump databases on reboot), I was able to create synchronizable POOM databases. Here's how I did it:

1) I copied CE 5 versions of the following POOM DLLs into \Windows on the Nova: addrstor.dll, calstore.dll, cefobj.dll, citydb.dll, mailutil.dll, msgstore.dll, pegobj.dll, pimres.dll, pimstore.dll, and pimutil.dll.

2) I copied a file from the Mio pack called CeCreateDatabase_POOM.exe onto the Nova (I put it in the \Storage Card, but it doesn't really matter where you put it) and then executed it on the device.

3) I created three registry subkeys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Windows CE Services/Synchronization/Objects called Appointment, Contact, and Task, and in each of these keys created the string value Store with a value of pegobj.dll in each case.

Now, when synchronizing the Nova, I was able to select Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks as objects to synchronize, and these synchronized smoothly with Outlook on my PC and could all be read using GEMini PIMs and several other PIM applications. (Of course, because the device dumps non-native databases on reboot, I had to create a self-executing backup file of the databases on the \Storage Card using bUSEFUL Backup Plus, with a link to it in \Windows\StartUp.)

The needed files are below.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CeCreateDatabase_POOM.exe (3KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments CE5.rar (184KB - 3 downloads)
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-03 12:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, you hooked me CEGeek. Soon as I'm feeling a bit better I'll give it a try...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-03 1:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek, awesome

Can we get a CESD written up for that and see if we can expand it for .net and 3.0?

I have PIMStore.dll for x86, MIPS, StrongARM, SH3 and SH4 - which I've always assumed to be fairly seminal to the operation. Perhaps we can build a CAB installer to do all of this if we can get enough resource files for other CPUs?
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-03 1:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I forgot to include one step, though: you also have to create a key HKLM/Explorer/Database if it doesn't already exist, and then create three values within it:

AppointmentsDatabase with the value Appointments Database
ContactsDatabase with the value Contacts Database
TasksDatabase with the value Tasks Database

This is necessary as well before ActiveSync recognizes those three databases on the device.

It looks like some devices also need three other files: tnefex.dll, tnefu.dll, and tnefutil.dll. Below is an updated RAR package with those three DLLs added.

I've also tried it on my CE 5.0 TinyBook T700 (CUOL Book clone) and it works there too, but weirdly, the Contacts database shows no items in a database viewer after sync, even though ActiveSync on the PC says Contacts have been fully synchronized and all Contacts items are still present in Outlook on the PC. (The other databases show up fine. I noticed on the Nova, though, that nothing shows up in the Tasks app in GEMini PIMs even though the tasks show up in the Calendar app.) Then, on the CUOL Book and the Augen eGo, while all the PIM items are copied over, only the Contacts items can be viewed. (Same result on the CE 6.0 SmartQ V7.) Maybe there are some compatibility/conflict issues with these files.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CE5.rar (210KB - 6 downloads)
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 13