x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mystified trying to install software on Clio C-1050

pcata Page Icon Posted 2014-01-02 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone; I'm new to the site and forums. Perhaps you all can provide some advice to me. I have acquired a Clio C-1050, did a hard reset to bring it back to factory (works great) and now am trying to install some software on it (via CF, which works fine). It runs WinCE 2.11 (Handheld PC 3.0 Professional). Some things (like Coolcalc) install fine. Others like those from the H/PC Update page on this site, the Plus! Pack for Win CE and the Win CE SP1 will not install or run at all. I get an error to the effect of "This program cannot be run on Windows CE". Has anybody else had issues like these?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-02 8:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi welcome to the site.

Please go to the support section and read
Installing Programs from the Host
Installing Programs using .cab files
Installing Programs manually
Extracting Cabinets from Host Installers

That should clear it up for you
 Top of the page
pcata Page Icon Posted 2014-01-07 1:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you so much for these pointers. That was exactly what I needed! Sorry I didn't see it to begin with. In fact, I would not be anywhere close to where I am now setting up my H/PC without this web site...it is really an incredible resource. Please keep it running!

To contribute a little back to the community, I did also discover that when running an installer on the host computer sometimes the H/PC files needed for transfer can be found in the following location:

x:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp

in addition to the host system locations as specified in support document CESD-S-0049 (and where <user> is of course your Windows user name. Sometimes you need to look in this location before closing the installer, since the files will be unpacked into this location so long as the installer is still running. I hope this might help anyone trying to find files on the host without an ActiveSync connection and/or without Windows CE Services installed (as is my situation).
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-07 8:41 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for reminding folks about that. I mentioned it myself some time ago. Sometimes I still take for granted that the files will show up somewhere in C:\Program Files, and then have to run the installer again and look the the 'Temp' folder to track them down when they don't show up where I expected. Since I've always had ActiveSync 3.8 installed, it has never occurred to me that these files would still be unpacked somewhere by the installer even if there is no sync client installed.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-07 12:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

When they install into the ...\local settings\temp folder you have to be tricky sometimes. A couple of things I do:

1. I always check to see if they created a unique folder for install in the "program files" folder if they are not in the microsoft activesync folder.
2. Try and keep the ...\local settings\temp folder empty so you don't have to go crazy searching for the install
3. Make sure I have the "show desktop" icon in the quick launch toolbar simply because some installer hide the taskbar and occupy the entire screen, but hittng the windows key normally brings up the task bar
4. I created a shortcut to the ....local settings\temp folder on my desktop so I don't have to recursively hunt it down and open it up

and most important

5. Never exit the installer program until you have obtained what you want from the ...\local settings\temp folder. The cab files for installation may be copied to that folder during any time in the setup process...and with many installer, they will be deleted if not immediately installed...so you need to check during each step of the installer and when you find them, copy them to the desktop or somewhere else where they will not be deleted.

One of my favorite old programs to grab with this method was the old Textmaker 2002/2003. There you had several folders created in the ...\local settings\temp folder, and then you had to combine the files for your language. Took a little more effort than normal, but once done, you had a working Textmaker that could be installed easily in the future...manually.
 Top of the page
pcata Page Icon Posted 2014-01-07 8:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Great additions to the thread and all consistent with my recent experiences. Especially the point regarding don't close the installer until you've found all the files! I've since installed ActiveSync (thanks to this web site) which makes life easier.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-08 4:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You don't necessarily have to clear the 'Temp' folder, Rich - I just use the setting "Details" and click on "Date Modified" on the top of the last column to see what just got added.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-08 5:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I could sort by date...that would work I guess.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 28