x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What do you think of the HP 360LX?

[Frozen]
Frozen
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 6:21 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've been thinking about purchasing a HP 360LX. For those who have used it, what do you think of the backlight and the battery life?

How useful is CE 2.0 in the modern age?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 10:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I like the white backlight - it's easier to see in dark conditions. And I like that you can use rechargeable AA batteries in it and actually charge them in the device while using it connected to AC power.

Software-wise, the porting of .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 to Windows CE 2.0 opens up extra possibilities, since many Pocket PC apps developed later on were based on .NET CF 1.0. See this thread for details:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12404&po...
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 2:01 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

What kind of battery life can you get out of it, CE Geek?

I have a Psion Series 5 and it lasts for about 2 weeks if I use it regularly. The non-backlit screen is so dingy though I never use the thing any more. With that said, do you find the readibility w/o the backlight ok?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 7:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's not great - generally about two hours of moderate use, and using the backlight a lot shortens that - but the nice thing is that you can carry around a couple of spare AAs and a small plug-in charger (or even a solar battery charger if you're away from a power source) and just swap them out periodically. (Just make sure the backup battery is fresh when you do this.) I have a 5mx myself, and I assume you don't mean leaving it on for two weeks. Most CE 1 and 2 devices' main batteries will take 2-4 weeks to drain during nonuse. As for the display, it's clear in direct sunlight, a bit less so indoors. (Adjusting contrast helps, of course.)
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 9:13 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Mine was an absolute workhorse, their durability is probably the best of any HPC from the CE 2.x generation. It's not quick, and the battery life's not great. But it's got two expansion sockets so it's pretty versatile. They're relatively common so don't pay any more than $5-$10 for a working unit. My personal preference would be a Sharp HC-4100 or 4200 if you're after a monochrome HPC, as they have more memory and a faster processor. As for me, I'm after a Psion as I'm keen on leaving CE behind.

Edited by Paspie 2014-01-26 9:14 AM
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 3:45 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks for the replies everyone. Paspie, I just don't think I could use the Sharps as their keyboards seem rather awful with the differently sized keys. If the keyboard is anything like the 620LX I had ages ago, I'm sure the 320's is more comfortable.

I'm actually kind of stunned that you can only get about 4 hours of use, CE Geek. That seems rather crappy to me and severely limits the portability unless you want to carry around batteries. I wonder why HP didn't put a lithium ion pack in these.

Edited by Duckworth 2014-01-26 3:45 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 7:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I am also surprised at the 4 hour figure. With alkali batteries, you should be seeing a lot more than that. Not as much as in the 320, but nit that low.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 9:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Probably something do with power management. I don't ever remember my MC16 sustaining anymore than several hours without any kind of networking or modem card. Rechargeables are a must.

I also had a Sharp (a colour one, mind you). The keyboard's not actually that bad, less stiff than the 360LX and less cramped overall. Not a match for a notebook style model (MobilePro 700, Psions) but still good for a separate membrane style keyboard. Come to think of it, these are actually having a resurgence in many new laptop keyboards.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-28 1:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

The Series 5 keyboard looks better than it really is. The keys don't depress very far and it is hard to push them down. The punctuation keys are also in weird places which slows me down. Imo the best small handheld keyboard is the ones on the HP Jornadas.
 Top of the page
alina Page Icon Posted 2015-01-07 9:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all,

I'm looking for a telnet client for my HP 360LX. An ssh client would be awesome but I understood there is no chance to find it.
I installed the vxHpc client listed here on the SCL database but unfortunately, it seems it doesn't run on CE 2.0 anymore.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-01-07 7:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thread locked

Please don't thread dredge. Forum rules: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=2
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9