x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 1:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Just wondering, I noticed when I got an Ubisurfer a while ago that it's the same architecture as the J728, which I've been thinking about more recently. Is it possible to load CE6 onto a J728? Like, have the files on my CF hard and fire it up via a bootloader like you do with JLime?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 4:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Technically it is always possible, if you know enough ARM assembler, you could write it.

Has someone else written it, no.

Would it run... with a 728 RAM board, possibly, with the 720's... unlikely.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 5:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

LOL...yeah, even if you could load a stripped down version of CE6, by the time you got through loading the OS you would probably have room to install an itsy bitsy teensie weenie little program...

It would have been nice is the ROM/RAM board on the HP720 would have been updated...more memory and new OS.

BTW, this brings up another question...which consumes more memory space, CE5 or CE6?
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 6:26 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Oh well, it was just a bit of curiosity. My only real problem with the Jornada machines is that they seem to run through backup batteries even when the main batteries aren't running out. My 820 seems to go through a set every two or three charges.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2014-01-25 8:26 PM

BTW, this brings up another question...which consumes more memory space, CE5 or CE6?

It's only the matter of options included in Platform Builder. The minimum memory footprint remains under 400KB for versions till CE6, it is 500KB for CE 7.

Including only obligatory things for running most applications will make CE6 very similar to CE.NET4.2 in terms of memory requirements.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 7:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So it is feasible I guess...but I wonder what you would really gain? My 900C has the same browser as CE6 I believe...except for some wifi security protocols..what is to gain? I can't think of any great CE6 program out there that would make me roll over and bark...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 7:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There are some apps written for Windows Mobile 5 and 6 that can run on core CE 6 devices with the right DLLs added, so it would be a bigger gain than going to CE 4.x or 5. But a lot more .NET CF-based apps were written for WM 5 and 6 devices than were written for WM 2003 or earlier Pocket PCs, so porting a lot of them to the Jornada would be theoretically possible without any hardware upgrade, if someone could develop a CE 3 port for .NET CF 2.0 or even 3.5, as had been done for .NET CF 1.0 with CE 2.xx. Remember, the developer who accomplished the latter was considering working on porting .NET CF 2.0 back to CE 2.xx and 3.0, but never got enough votes of support:

http://netcfwince200.codeplex.com/workitem/6783
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 8:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There are so many differences however on how WM5 and WM6 does direct screen writing to the hardware that isn't supported with standard CE. Think of all those "Today Screen" apps that WM has that don't work... And to be honest, I don't want to have to keep hacking everything to make it work....

Am I sounding cranky? I just got through playing KSE Poker on my 790 using Nyditot with a screen setting of 640x320. The game actually plays fine not even using Nyditot...but why they can't make an HPC version...it couldn't be all that much trouble I wouldn't think....arrrgh!

All I had t do was add one aygshell.dll to the folder and it ran fine on my 790. Pictures below are the game with Nyditot and without...

p.s. Sorry markfptuson, didn't mean to hijack your thread...

(poker.jpg)

(poker no nyditot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments poker.jpg (163KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments poker no nyditot.jpg (118KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 9:05 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Rich Hawley - 2014-01-25 7:42 PM

So it is feasible I guess...but I wonder what you would really gain? My 900C has the same browser as CE6 I believe...except for some wifi security protocols..what is to gain? I can't think of any great CE6 program out there that would make me roll over and bark...
I just thought it would be cool to see if it would work, to be honest. I know that there isn't really much CE6 can offer over CE3 but still... would be fun doing it. Besides, if the whole thing can be installed to the CF card and run from there, it means that if my batteries run out completely, I only need to charge it up and boot it up again, rather than much around installing everything again and whatever... right?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 9:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What's to stop you from installing all your programs on a compact flash drive now? You could easily do that, and then create a CAB file with all your desktop shortcuts, and even backup the registry...or you could just make a self-extracting backup file of your device and save it on a memory card.
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 10:56 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I keep most things on the CF card already, except drivers and whatever.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2014-09-21 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think CE 6,7 or even 8 on something like the 720 would be doable (if they still supported StrongARMs.) You

just use the ROM only filesystem with a Storage Card mounted as root like Windows Mobile 5 instead of the

traditional RAM/ROM filesystem that H/PC 2000 uses. You could probably make a 5MB ROM image that gets copied to

RAM to XIP and then just put the rest of the system files on a (fast) CF card mounted as root.

It would probably be possible to backport them too. The other day I found a backported CE distribution for

ebmedded 386 PCs! (http://www.dpie.com/software/wince.html) So I'm sure it's possible to backport it to older

processor revisions if you have the skill and manpower.

But all of the above comes way later.

It's the drivers and BSP bringup that are the real bitch, unfortunately. Though, it seems Douglas Boling of

"Programming Windows CE" fame has ported CE 6 or 7 to the Rasberry PI. But I think even that is missing drivers

that make it useful. The PI still uses proprietary hardware with closed source drivers despite running Linux

much like many of the Android devices.

Here's the CE BSP for the Pi and some screenshots:
https://ceonpi.codeplex.com/
http://hackaday.com/2013/11/27/windows-ce-on-a-raspberry-pi/

Hmm, maybe someone could build a new H/PC using Rasberry PIs.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-09-21 8:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

And that really is the problem...separating and loading the kernel from a memory card before loading the CE OS with all the proper drivers and unique support stuff.

I imagine it would probably run slower that a snail as well from a memory card....

To me, for HPCs, the real drawback is the lack of a decent modern web browser....I'm fine with the OS otherwise....
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2014-09-23 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Eh, there's still RDP and Opera Mini and UCWeb. (though, I guess those count as sort of a "remote control" product too. IE 4 is still a more "modern" browser than most Pocket PCs got.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11