x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What do you usually use your HPC for?

1 2
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2014-04-08 11:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thought about sharing a bit of how I use my HPC on a daily basis and maybe encourage some of the users here to share their uses too (plus points for pictures and screenshots ). It's a very interesting way to discover more uses for your HPC, maybe a better workflow for something that you already use it for, or just discover new apps!

Recently I've started using my Jornada 720 as a replacement for my iPad as a lab computer since it's extremely tiny (space is very important in the bench) and can do practically everything I need my iPad for, of course I still have my main computer in the lab to program microcontrollers and do everything, but the Jornada is great to have near my working area so I can quickly check datasheets, schematics, and parts list while soldering or prototyping.

Usually when I'm prototyping or testing a board I have to check datasheets for pinouts, common voltages, etc. and Adobe Reader is great for this task:

In my main computer I keep a very well organized folder (and database, but I'm still researching the best way to get the DB into my j720 and keep them both synced) with datasheets for practically every electronic component I have in stock. So whenever I update the folder with more stuff I just rsync everything to my Jornada, and since it's a nice Linux machine I've already wrote a nice script to automate things.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I've built a small command line application a while ago called build-bom which gets a schematic file from my CAD program (EAGLE) and can output the parts list into HTML, CSV, or JSON. So whenever I'm populating a board I export the parts list to HTML and open it in my Jornada so I can know which part to place where in the board:

So, that's it! Feel free to comment on my setup and share your own HPC workflow.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-09 1:47 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

nathanpc - 2014-04-09 8:42 AM

I thought about sharing a bit of how I use my HPC on a daily basis and maybe encourage some of the users here to share their uses too (plus points for pictures and screenshots ). It's a very interesting way to discover more uses for your HPC, maybe a better workflow for something that you already use it for, or just discover new apps!

Recently I've started using my Jornada 720 as a replacement for my iPad as a lab computer since it's extremely tiny (space is very important in the bench) and can do practically everything I need my iPad for, of course I still have my main computer in the lab to program microcontrollers and do everything, but the Jornada is great to have near my working area so I can quickly check datasheets, schematics, and parts list while soldering or prototyping.

Usually when I'm prototyping or testing a board I have to check datasheets for pinouts, common voltages, etc. and Adobe Reader is great for this task:

In my main computer I keep a very well organized folder (and database, but I'm still researching the best way to get the DB into my j720 and keep them both synced) with datasheets for practically every electronic component I have in stock. So whenever I update the folder with more stuff I just rsync everything to my Jornada, and since it's a nice Linux machine I've already wrote a nice script to automate things.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I've built a small command line application a while ago called build-bom which gets a schematic file from my CAD program (EAGLE) and can output the parts list into HTML, CSV, or JSON. So whenever I'm populating a board I export the parts list to HTML and open it in my Jornada so I can know which part to place where in the board:

So, that's it! Feel free to comment on my setup and share your own HPC workflow.

Cool! An Engineer! with oscilloscopes and all!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-09 3:12 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I might be able to edit Perl and Ada on my Sig 3.

This screenshot is taken on my Vaio Z.

Edited by stingraze 2014-04-09 3:31 AM

(ada-sony-vaio-z.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ada-sony-vaio-z.png (15KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jornada720lover Page Icon Posted 2014-04-20 1:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm an opera critic (writing for the Wagner Society of Great Britain, if anyone's interested) and due to frequently tight deadlines I have to make as many notes as possible during intervals. When sitting in a theatre seat there isn't enough space to balance a tablet and keyboard on my lap, but my Jornada 720 fits perfectly. I use Word 2003, which is compatible both with the Jornada and with my Windows 7 laptop, and transfer my notes to my laptop via a CF card and reader. I've attracted quite a bit of comment in my time because nobody else has seen a Jornada!
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2014-04-20 2:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

That's amazing! HPCs are so amazingly great at small spaces like that, where you can't fit a tablet with a keyboard. It's sad that we don't see any new HPCs on the market, it's such a incredible and unique form-factor.

Edited by nathanpc 2014-04-20 2:14 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-21 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Jornada720lover - 2014-04-20 10:45 PM

I'm an opera critic (writing for the Wagner Society of Great Britain, if anyone's interested) and due to frequently tight deadlines I have to make as many notes as possible during intervals. When sitting in a theatre seat there isn't enough space to balance a tablet and keyboard on my lap, but my Jornada 720 fits perfectly. I use Word 2003, which is compatible both with the Jornada and with my Windows 7 laptop, and transfer my notes to my laptop via a CF card and reader. I've attracted quite a bit of comment in my time because nobody else has seen a Jornada!

Splendid! Word 2003 on Jornanda 720? How do you use it? Please do enlighten me.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-04-23 4:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I think Jornada720lover just means that Word 2003 was still .doc format (as opposed to Word 2007 and later's .docx), which the 720 understands.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-04-23 12:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Word 2007 will save files in PocketWord format....
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-04-23 9:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

For a short time recently (Jan-February-ish) the Jornada was my perfect companion when at school, or working away from the laptop (less things to get distracted with). Nowadays I've got only a Psion 5mx handy, I sold most of my HPCs to free up some space. I barely use it anymore as 1) I feel awkward being seen with obscure devices and 2) I'm writing less lately.

But yeah, I've had an interesting and turbulent relationship with 'palmtops' over the last decade or so (there goes my right-brain again), whether I found them useful or not.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2014-04-23 10:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

That's an awesome use for a Jornada nathan, very inspiring!
Apart from SSH and IRC, I don't have a frequent use for my HPCs right now, there sure are some uses, I have yet to find them!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-24 1:25 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich Hawley - 2014-04-23 9:43 PM

Word 2007 will save files in PocketWord format....

oh... me is duh...
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2014-04-26 2:48 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I love my HP Jornada 720 a lot. Got it from an eBayer because these machines aren't available in Malaysia. I am a novel writer and book compiler, hence alot of typing needs to be done. Especially when I need to do my novel writing in two languages, English and Chinese, the Jornada comes in handy while on the move. Till now I still can find any tablet or smartphone that can do as much.

A pity that the sides of my Jornada screen casing is getting a bit creaky and starting to crack here and there with bits of plastic coming off every now and then, despite still sticking to the machine for my writing, I fear it will retire too soon.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-29 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

roychanyl - 2014-04-26 11:48 PM

I love my HP Jornada 720 a lot. Got it from an eBayer because these machines aren't available in Malaysia. I am a novel writer and book compiler, hence alot of typing needs to be done. Especially when I need to do my novel writing in two languages, English and Chinese, the Jornada comes in handy while on the move. Till now I still can find any tablet or smartphone that can do as much.

A pity that the sides of my Jornada screen casing is getting a bit creaky and starting to crack here and there with bits of plastic coming off every now and then, despite still sticking to the machine for my writing, I fear it will retire too soon.

Novels!

I know a great writer friend of mine, Mikey Pizano at mikeypizano.wordpress.com and classicalcomputing.blogspot.com (our blog)
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2014-04-29 6:17 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thanks stingraze, for the info on yours and Mikey's blog.
Had a great time enjoying these newfound thingies.

FYI, I am extremely sentimental about old things, more so with IT low tech. It's amazing so much could be achieved using antiques, LOL.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-29 10:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

roychanyl - 2014-04-30 3:17 AM

Thanks stingraze, for the info on yours and Mikey's blog.
Had a great time enjoying these newfound thingies.

FYI, I am extremely sentimental about old things, more so with IT low tech. It's amazing so much could be achieved using antiques, LOL.

You are most welcome.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.359 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 35