x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Things to do and Software for the Jornada 820

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2014-04-17 10:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Finally I got around to buy a Jornada 820, the missing piece in my collection of every major Jornada HPC!
It's a lovely little (or rather bigger) device, finding Software is a bit tough though!

I got it connected to the Internet both wired and wirelessly, though the battery running time of around 30 minutes doesn't quite reach the advertised 8 hours anymore.

Right now I can use it to SSH into my server (yay) and use IRC, which is pretty nice with this keyboard. I installed bitlbee on my server and hoped to be able to use GTalk with it, but that won't work thanks to Google turning off XMPP
Can you guys think of any other use-cases for my new Jornada?

(2014-04-17 11.42.47.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2014-04-17 11.42.47.jpg (78KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-04-17 12:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There are a few applications that make use of the larger screen. such as Nankin, Sichuan, PalmChess, etc. It's just nice to not have to scroll so much when you view something...
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2014-04-17 11:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Nice buy! This was my first Windows CE device and the only one I purchased at full retail. Subsequently bought a CF+ card for LAN connectivity and later an Avaya Wireless card for 802.11 connectivity. The main use cases for me at the time were:

1. Long battery life for listening to MP3s as I drove across the country to move
2. Load offline maps and driving directions on the device as I job hunted and explored about my new hometown.
3. Learning Windows CE development with the Visual Studio 6.0 + Windows CE Toolkit software.
4. Understanding RISC architecture instruction sets, which then later helped me a lot in my career, but career application was later and it was ARM7TDMI by that time.
5. Using some Microsoft Office Software, because I was too cheap to buy Office for the laptop PCs I owned over and over again. This has become less relevant, since my Windows 8 tablet now includes current office.

I like your SSH use case, but that need is usually met with my tablet + bluetooth keyboard now.

Nowadays, the practical uses for me are minimal, but I keep due to nostalgia. The IBM Workpad Z50 is another nostalgic machine I own which I am struggling about whether to sell or keep.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-04-18 7:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Because it was the first ARM-based Windows CE device, I've had some fun getting newer apps (all the way up to CE 4.2) working on it just by changing the OS version of the files. I always wanted to see the black prototype version that one of our members had a few years ago.

The z50 is cool too cuz on the outside it looks just like the ThinkPads of the day:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14738

Just remember that .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 has been ported all the way back to CE 2.00, which also broadens your software options:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12404&po...
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2014-04-18 9:33 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Wow, thanks for the .net CF tip! How do I find out which applications actually use .net? [Edit] Should've looked further, just found the list on Stefanov's site!

In the meanwhile I got Terminal Services to work so I could RDP into my VM running XP. RDPing into Windows 7 never worked, but even if I could get it to work that would mean I'd have to turn off all of the security which of course I don't want with my main machine. I assume Terminal Services Client for HPCPro only supports an unsecured connection.
Anyway it's fun and the speed is decent over LAN

Edited by kpour 2014-04-18 10:18 AM

(2014-04-18 10.15.06.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2014-04-18 10.15.06.jpg (86KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-04-18 6:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Looks pretty good, too, even with the limited color depth of the 820 (only 256 colors).
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2014-04-19 6:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks for the idea on the terminal services also! I run XP on a few machines here. Downloaded the terminal services client, pulled jornada out of the closet, attached the WiFi card, and then RDP to this XP machine. It was great; VGA resolution is tough though! Based on battery run down to 62% in an hour, I guess this Jornada 820 would be good for 2-3 hours.

The workflow newly imagined, might represent yours roughly. I see embedded visual tools on your desktop. My thought was to RDP to the XP machine to run embedded visual tools to write or update CE software. Upon compilation and linking, send the target to a network share with the capability of being accessed by the jornada to test. Due to proficiency and familiarity with the code base, won't need breakpoints and step debugging to make progress in this manner. The VGA screen really altered my IDE settings though, bye-bye toolbars.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-04-19 10:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

RDP on CE should support 56-bit encryption or 128-bit with a schannel update. You may need to reinstall it though rather than use the rom burnt rdc.
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2014-04-19 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

That's awesome. Another suggestion for you would be to install Keuchel's Emacs and Perl ports and do some programming on it. Most of my Perl scripts worked beautifully on my Jornada 720.

Edited by nathanpc 2014-04-19 6:33 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10