x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wifi issues on EPC-1026 with Windows CE

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-06-14 9:30 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

RTFM - 2014-06-12 3:18 AM

Everything in that archive (including iris) is ready to run. Just copy the apps you want to an SD card and execute (or copy to device from sd card and execute).

Cheers

Iris, how cool! forgot about that till you mentioned it! Thanks!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-14 12:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

A new wifi adapter won't help you. No wifi is as fast as a direct Ethernet cable connection.

The bottleneck is in the ability of the device to process the data...the available ram and the cpu speed. Also remember it is saving the webpages and graphics the first time you visit the page, and subsequent visits should be somewhat quicker.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-06-14 7:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Wabook has Internet Explorer CE 6.0, which is supposed to be functionally equivalent to its desktop counterpart (IE 6). One browser you haven't tried is a beta of Mozilla Firefox 3.6 for Windows CE, but it's even slower than IE CE 6:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16068&st...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-14 7:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Also, you might speed things up a little by using this: http://www.google.com/gwt/n

But use Opera to view it...
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-17 3:01 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks again, Rich and CE Geek.

If it can't get faster than this due to hardware limitations, I'll let it be.

CE Geek: At this point I don't care about spped as much as I care about HTML5 compatibility. I'd like to be able to open Facebook, Google+, GMail, OneDrive... I'd be glad to run mobile versions of these sites if I culd, but if I change teh user agent to "same as Pocket PC" or "Wndows CE" in Internet Exporer, it opens a file called, for instance "google.com(1)" with options to open or download. How I can use the Pocket PC and Windows CE profiles? I've read that in other netbooks the mobile profiles were enabled by default.

Firefox 3.6 didn't work. It must be because I'm a bit stupid and just extracted it with MSCEInf and moved it to the SD card and ran it without installing. But I don't know how to use the .inf file to install the app. It's easy in the desktop versions but WinCE doesn't have an "install" option for .inf files. When I try to run Firefox it shows an error mesage and shuts down. I can't say what the error message is because it disappears in a blink eye.

My best option so far is to make Opera Mini work. Why nobody told me there were known problems with Opera Mini? I found this topic about it but I was unable to follow the instrucions. The problem is that ExecutabilityCheck shuts down due to a critical error. Any ideas? I really really really want to make it work. It seems error messages in Windows CE could be a bit more descriptive. Have I known Opera Mini was missing some DLL's, I would have tried to fix it.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Edited by Tincho 2014-06-17 3:14 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-17 12:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, I remembered I couldn't get Opera Mini to run on mine, but that didn't necessarily mean it wouldn't work on yours. Hardware does change now and then as does the software behind it.

As far as executability check, on CE6 you need to run it come a command shell window. If I remember correctly, you need to copy executability check to windows. I renamed it to ec.exe to make it simpler. Then open the command window. The one that gives you an old DOS type prompt. Then type ec.exe \ and hit return. The executability check program will then open and stay open. Actually mine flashed for a second, but you could see the open program down on the task bar. Click on it brought it up and you could use it regularly from there.

I think the problem with Opera Mini on the Wabook was the stetup DLL file was hanging and not completing the setup.

I never tried creating the registry entries manually, so who knows...maybe that will do the trick.

Of course I sold mine a long time ago. Wish I had it when I had my Ubisurfer. On it there was a copy of IE6 (titled: web browser) that was a stand alone program not burnt into the ROM chip. You could actually copy it off. Would have been nice to see if it would have run on my Wabook and if there was any difference between it and the standard IE6.

Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-17 3:34 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Rich, I can't make ExecutabilityCheck work. I renamed it to EC and sent it to the Windows folder but I can't make it work. Does it need some libraries? The error I'm getting is the same as before.

Edited by Tincho 2014-06-17 3:45 PM

(execcheck.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments execcheck.jpg (14KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-17 5:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The only DLLs executability check needs is commctrl.dll and coredll.dll

The only reason I renamed it was the ec was easier to type than executabilitycheck...

Now I'm thinking, it was CE5 and not CE6...I think I said the wrong thing...I don't think executability check works on CE6

I'm sorry, I get kinda confused now and then...being old and using so many different machines and OS versions...
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-17 8:42 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Rich, don't worry about the confusion. It happens to everyone from time to time. And yes, I understood it was for simplification purposes when typing in the command line.

Now the thing that worries me is that this seems to be the end of the road for me and Opera Mini

Now I still need help on making IE 6.0 Embedded display mobile versions as default. Changing the user agents didn't seem to work for me. I prefer the browser to display mobile pages because I think mobile versions are more tolerant when it comes to hardware and software limitations. I've seen a Sylvania 7" review somewhere that showed IE displaying pages in their mobile versions as default.

Of course, I still prefer a more modern brownser, but it's too much to ask unless I get Opera Mini to work.

And last but not least, I tried phoneME to see if I could run Opera Mini and Bolt, but every Java app I want to run gives me errors. Probably phonemE is missing some java classes or libraries or something.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-17 10:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the web page you view is sent as a response to your IE type...that is your host browser tells the web page that you are using a mobile browser versus a desktop one.

There are some utilities that do this or help do this...I'm thinking to Tweaks2k2 that allows you to specify your browser type. Also there are registry entries that you can control. Some devices have programs in the control panel that let you set it up to act as either a desktop or mobile device.

But just because you say you are a mobile device means that your browser will respond as one...because it doesn't. The browser in pocketpcs, which are the most common type that web sites used to recognize simply don't always work with standard CE devices.

Curious, did you try running Opera 8.65 or newer with your device? Cmonex has it on her site for download and trail.

To be honest, I don't think you will make much headway, but who knows...it is just that your hardware is so limited. I seem to remember however running Jeode Java on my Wabook and that helped some pages....and it integrates into IE6 pretty well.

Probably CEGeek knows more about what will and will not work with these things than me...he owns damn near everyone one of them...while I just buy them, play with them for a while, and then sell them off...
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-17 11:20 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thaks for all the clarification. I just asked because I saw it in a Sylvania netbook review. it seems that model opened the pages as mobile by default.

Even before buying this computer I decided I'd use mobile pages to overcome some limitations. now (thanks to you) I know it's not that simple.

That worked fine with Opera Mini. Yes, it used to work until it didn't anymore.

I've just downloaded Opera Moblie 10 beta a couple of hours ago, extracted using MSCEInf, coped to SD and then to the netbook. But it seems I can't use the program without installing. And I have no way to use the .inf file to install the program. I know .cab files are meant to install from the host, but there's no way to connect the Wabook Sky to my notebook. I tried to use a male-to-male USB but neither ActiveSync (uder Ubuntu, using WINE) nor Windows Center for Mobile Devices (under Windows 7) could connect. I guess the devices should be connected only via BT, RS-232 or infrared, but I can't. I think once I can use the .inf files for installation I'll find a solution to my browser problem.

Edited by Tincho 2014-06-17 11:26 PM
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-19 1:44 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I guess I should edit the registry and add the keys and values manually.

Can someone give me fool-proof instrucions on what keys and values should I add for Opera Mini 5 or 5.1 for ARM to work?
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-28 11:21 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

BUMP

Now that the wi-fi problems are mostly solved (I'm alright with the long wait), it's time to move on. Now my main interest is making Opera Mini work. Shall I continue here or should I start a new topic on how to make Opera Mini work?

The main problem is that Opera Mini does not install properly so I should add the registry keys manually, but I don't know what and where to add. Just for the record, since day one I was using a "non-installable" version of Opera Mini downloadad from here. It worked a few times and then it didn't work anymore. Then I tried with an "installable" version with the same results.

The problem is the extremely limited options to install software on a Wabook Sky. I can't use ActiveSync, I can't beam it... I can only estract and copy (unless someone proves me otherwise).

Any suggestion would be very appreciated.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-29 12:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The Opera Mini I use is the one we have here in the SCL...
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 28