x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows Embedded Compact 7 tablet

1 2 3
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2014-11-19 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I guess that you should repeat the way of mine - download the evaluation version and mangle it until you get it to build the files you need.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38794

Edited by Alt Bass 2014-11-19 1:13 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-11-23 10:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Looking more closely through the file and registry systems between the 8650 builds for WEC 7 v CE 6, I notice that the WEC 7 builds have a registry value in HKLM/Hardware/DeviceMap/Touch called "DriverName" with the value "tchproxy.dll," and this registry value is absent in the CE 6 builds, as is the DLL file. So it looks like the touchscreen driver operates differently between the two OS versions. (Doesn't stop the touchscreen from working in both OSs on the same 7" tablets, though, as I've already shown, so that may not have anything to do with why it's not working properly on the 8" tablet, especially when there's no 8" CE 6 ROM to compare it with.)

I also noticed after a fresh reflash of one of the 8" tablets with UberCE7, touching any point on the screen renders a value of 0,26 in DigitizerCheck, which is the same reading given when the mouse cursor is moved all the way to the upper left corner of the display. I didn't realize it was detecting a touch before the registry transplant until I enabled sounds for screen taps. I'm suspecting once again that it's an issue of incompatible hardware, but I was hoping to find compatible hardware by now as I had with the 7" tablet.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-12-25 10:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've remained intrigued regarding the calibration coordinates reported on the 8" tablets, for a number of reasons. I'll start with a comparison to illustrate what some of the reasons are:

1) the default coordinates in the registry after a fresh reflash of UberCE7:

400,240 160,96 160,384 640,384 640,96

2) the coordinates reported in the 7" device with the wonky touchscreen responses
(which, as I reported above, was copied over to one of the 8" tablets' registry to see how it affected touchscreen responses on that latter tablet):

2139,2057 1221,3134 3015,3135 3052,960 1224,970

The first question, of course, is why the latter set of numbers is so much higher. A little Internet research enlightened me on this: some newer touchscreens have a denser array of detection points, as little as a quarter-pixel apart. Thus, a touchscreen overlaying an 800x600 display may have a "resolution" of 3200x2400. (However, that still wouldn't explain the second and third y values being reported from the wonky 800x480 touchscreen, and in any event, the proportions are inconsistent with a display with a 5:3 pixel aspect ratio.)

If you compare the two sets of coordinates above, you'll notice that, in the first set, the second and third x values are equal to one another, as are the fourth and fifth ones; while the second and fifth y values are equal to one another as are the third and fourth. This is consistent with x being the horizontal axis and y the vertical one. However, the reverse appears to be true in the second set of coordinates. Why? (Remember, that set is from a device whose touchscreen responds properly some of the time but not always.)

HardCoreHacker, who created UberCE7 over at techknow.me, reports that UberCE7 only supports the UOR615x touchscreen. But did this touchscreen come in multiple densities?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-25 1:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The touchscreen density differs in many handhelds. They don't always match the LCD resolution.

In that CE6 7" netbook I used with the USB touchscreen, I noticed that the movement was backwards....that is one of the values was for the horizontal while the other was vertical. It made no sense to me...but then I just tried switching the wires from the touchscreen on two of them...and now everything works fine.

What was happening before my wire mod was this: I would drag the stylus left, and it would go up. I'd drag it right, it would go down...this is after calibration.

I tried rotating the touchscreen and it was still messed up...so I figured out which two wires were responsible for horizontal movement and paired them together and then did the same with the vertical wires.

The touchscreen then worked.

Remember, this is the touchscreen I plugged into my desktop, which worked correctly without modding it....so something in the hardware or software somewhere causes major differences in reaction.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-12-11 7:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There is WM8850 WEC 7 firmware available as well -

http://www.techknow.one/forum/index.php?topic=8357.0

- though so far there's no indication of any touchscreen support. The version supplied by the original poster (and a couple other versions I've tracked down) does not flash because it's missing a third folder inside the \FirmwareInstall folder: in addition to the \config and \wm8850wince70 folders, there's supposed to be a third folder \firmware with the files necessary to complete the flash process. That version is available through the last download link the the above thread. For those who are not members of the TechKnow forums, the direct link is below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2UEXhz33Km2aFc2ZWczUjFIajg/view?us...

It should still be there as I downloaded it myself just a few weeks ago.

I tried it on an Eken W70 clone with an EKTF2721 touch screen (putting a "+" sign in front of the filename of the .fwc file for that device in the \config folder), and while the OS runs fine (working WiFi and all), there is no touchscreen response. The firmware also appears to be the same version used in the 8850 netbooks I have, with the same issues with .NET CF. Still, with multiple 8850 tablets with multiple configurations (and three or four variations of the firmware), we may never know for sure. More testing to come.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-07-18 4:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

While tinkering with my two WM8850 10" netbooks yesterday, I discovered that they both play YouTube videos right on the YouTube page within IE CE. A bit choppy, but I'd attribute that to lack of RAM, since I get the same results on my XP PC, which has only a gig of RAM. (Actually, sound is perfectly smooth on the WEC 7 netbook, while sound is as choppy as the video on the XP PC. ) Again, YouTube gives a warning that I have an outdated browser (interestingly, it detects that I'm using IE 7 on the 8850 10" netbooks), but again I just ignore the warning and search for videos. However, the videos don't play on my 8850 tablets with WEC 7. Maybe a configuration difference due to the different .fwc file and/or different hardware for rendering video?
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-07-18 9:28 PM
#
By the way, is there a CE7 image for any WM8505 netbooks?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-07-19 12:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No. WEC 7 was not supported until the WM8650 came out.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-07-19 2:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

CEGeek, did those netbooks come with CE7 on them or did you install it. You might try installing Android and then watching video to see if it is still choppy. That would point to hardware limitations...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-07-19 8:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

One came with WEC 7 pre-installed, while the other is an iCraig CLP285 that came with Android 4.1, which I reflashed with the WEC 7 firmware I mentioned above. I'm not particularly interested in flashing it back just to check that out.

I was trying multiple reflashes with the other of my 8850 7" tablets, trying different .fwc selections to see if I'd get different results viewing online videos, but none of the configurations even produced working WiFi on that one, so I suppose the two tablets are using different WiFi hardware. But during one reflash the device appeared to respond to a couple of screen touches with my fingertips while in safe mode. However, after the copying over of files was completed and the TF card removed (which causes the device to automatically reboot), there was no touchscreen response in normal mode. I haven't been able to reproduce that result in any subsequent attempts.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.189 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8